firestormx

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  58
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  5,457
  • Content Per Day:  1.69
  • Days Won:  37

I asked about matthew 18 and you quote Mark 10.  Please Go back and demonstrate why Matthew 16 and 18 are different.  Thanks!

I thought you were asking in relationship to the asking to sit on either side of Jesus.

I guess my question to you would be why do you think that who occupies the office given to Peter has anything to do with who is greatest in the kingdom of heaven?

I find the idea that they have anything to do with each other completely puzziing.

One has to do with governance of the Church on earth while Jesus is in heaven.   So this is set on earth.

The other is set in heaven:

Matthew 18

1At that time the disciples came to Jesus and asked, “Who, then, is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven?”

I see no correlation between the two.  

Thank you for clarifying your beliefs on tying Isaiah 22 and Mathew 16 together which explains why you would believe that there is reason to believe that there is a succession of Popes that begins with Peter.  We really are doing nothing different from one another as we are both seeking to come to a reasonable conclusion on matters of faith.  It is not very difficult to see the line of reasoning that led you to your understanding but that does not affirm it to be so.  You have pointed out a great many times how what you believe follows logic and that God has called us to reason together  with him but experience has taught me that successful deductions from logic require that nothing be missing in the train of understanding.  I remain skeptical because I know that their are rulers of darkness who leave out various information so that we end up with faulty conclusions.  I believe this to be the case here.  I don't buy the imaginary connection between Isa 22 and Matthew 16.  That is a fabrication of truth to forge an understanding of certain religious beliefs as far as I am concerned.  Thank you for sharing.

Well I guess we will have to agree to disagree.  What you see as imaginary, christians have always seen as solid and real. Jesus is heir of David, and so heir to the Davidic Kingdom, and so He draws the parallel to the Davidic Kingdom in His words to Peter.  Catholics find this is no fabrication but solid grounding in scripture.   

I do aprpeciate that even though you don't agree, you have taken time to try to understand and see where and why Catholics find foundation in scripture for this belief.

Edited by thereselittleflower

So there is nothing blasphemous to recognize the role of the leader of the Catholic Church as a spiritual "father" just as Paul referred to himself as, as John referred to himself as, etc.

Terese,

There is absolutely no comparison between Paul and his role as a spiritual father to his converts (who DID NOT call him "Holy Father"), and the blasphemous role played by the Pope in the Catholic Church.  Read, study, and meditate on Matthew 23:9 IN CONTEXT. That whole chapter to verse 36 addresses the pretensions of hypocritical spiritual leaders and is clearly applicable.

My dear Ezra, you have no idea what Paul's spiritual children called him.    You do not have a time machine,  and you weren't there.

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1,022
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  6.10
  • Days Won:  78

Just putting my two cents in.....it's great to see my fellow believers discussing Catholic doctrine in  a civil way and not   :fryingpan:  or :swordfightsmiles:  These things are ALWAYS difficult but y'all are proving it can be done.  :)

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.80
  • Days Won:  226

Just putting my two cents in.....it's great to see my fellow believers discussing Catholic doctrine in  a civil way and not   :fryingpan:  or :swordfightsmiles:  These things are ALWAYS difficult but y'all are proving it can be done.  :)

Yes,I think it can be done without attacking one another.

Yes,I think it can be done without attacking one another.

Indeed.  We can ALL learn from each other; I've found that out the hard way. 

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  598
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,135
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

I think the main difference is with LittleFlower....   she seems to be a really nice person and is easy to talk with.

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.80
  • Days Won:  226

I think the main difference is with LittleFlower....   she seems to be a really nice person and is easy to talk with.

Littleflower is a nice person. :)

Yes, I agree but sssshhh!  Don't say that too loud or she'll hear you!  ^_^

OK   I didn't really hear you all. .  ;)    

But really, this meant a lot to me.   I am also so appreciative of the kindness you all have shown me.  Thank you.  ((hugs))

OK   I didn't really hear you all. .  ;)    

But really, this meant a lot to me.   I am also so appreciative of the kindness you all have shown me.  Thank you.  ((hugs))

Back at ya, therese.  :)