SavedOnebyGrace

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  4,059
  • Content Per Day:  13.95
  • Days Won:  0

Recently, I heard two different evangelists talk about hell.  Both of whom are preachers of the word whom I would say are reliable.  But their take on hell was completely different, and they both used multiple scriptures, in context, to back up their position.  I haven't had time to study this on my own but I am curious what others think.  This is a simplified version of what they taught.

Position 1: If you are judged to go to Hell, you're there for eternity to pay for your sins.  Of course if you're a believer, the blood of the Lamb cleanses you from all unrighteousness.  This is a very orthodox position.

Position 2: If you are judged to go to Hell, you're there until the punishment for your sins is paid in full.  Then you are annihilated and cease to exist.  This is an unorthodox position which has a name (which I forget) that at least some relatively well known evangelists have embraced.

Does position 2 make sense?

Guest shiloh357

Jesus paid for our sins on the cross.   No one goes to hell to pay for sins.   They go to hell because they rejected the Gospel message and rejected God's offer of grace through Jesus Christ.   Hell is not a place to pay for sin because the payment of sin requires blood and the only blood God accepts for payment is the blood of Jesus.

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,993
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,691
  • Content Per Day:  11.75
  • Days Won:  226

Jesus paid for our sins on the cross.   No one goes to hell to pay for sins.   They go to hell because they rejected the Gospel message and rejected God's offer of grace through Jesus Christ.   Hell is not a place to pay for sin because the payment of sin requires blood and the only blood God accepts for payment is the blood of Jesus.

I agree.

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  134
  • Content Count:  8,142
  • Content Per Day:  2.34
  • Days Won:  20

Position 2: If you are judged to go to Hell, you're there until the punishment for your sins is paid in full.  Then you are annihilated and cease to exist.  This is an unorthodox position which has a name (which I forget) that at least some relatively well known evangelists have embraced.

Position 2 has no basis in Scripture, whether it makes sense or not.  But this spin on Hell is now being promoted quite vigorously.  The cults (e.g. Jehovah's Witnesses) rejected the Bible doctrine of Hell some time ago, and Position 2 is simply another version of it.

The Bible is quite clear that Hell = Eternal Punishment + Eternal Torment + Eternal Separation from God. It was created for the Devil and his angels.

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Content Count:  4,059
  • Content Per Day:  13.95

Position 2 has no basis in Scripture, whether it makes sense or not.  But this spin on Hell is now being promoted quite vigorously.  The cults (e.g. Jehovah's Witnesses) rejected the Bible doctrine of Hell some time ago, and Position 2 is simply another version of it.

The Bible is quite clear that Hell = Eternal Punishment + Eternal Torment + Eternal Separation from God. It was created for the Devil and his angels.

I tend to agree.  I had never heard of the 2nd Position on Hell until about 2 weeks ago.  That's why I posed the question because both evangelists were using scripture.  But of course, even the devil can quote scripture.

Annihilation has become quite popular among the Church.Satan loves it.

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  55
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,568
  • Content Per Day:  0.68

The doctrine of annihilation is no where taught in the scripture.  Those who teach this doctrine are putting their assumption that when hell is cast into the lake of fire which burns forever that the wicked at that time will be burned up literally and not exist anymore.  But the scripture teach just the opposite as both the righteous (the first resurrection of the righteous dead) and the unrighteous (the second resurrection of the unrighteous dead) will both receive a glorified body which will both live forever and ever.  As a resurrected body will never die whether you a righteous or unrighteous.  The wicked will be cast into the lake of fire and literally be tormented day and night for ever and ever as the lake burns with fire and brimestone.  This fire has no power to burn up a spiritual body that shall never die as it will not be a body of flesh and blood like the body of flesh we have now.  The natural mind understandeth not the things of the spirit we have to be spiritual minded to understand things of the spirit.

Guest shiloh357

Yes, it is an attempt to diminish the awful reality of hell.  Annihilation takes away the prospect of having to suffer eternal suffering for rejection of Jesus.   But when you diminish the reality of hell, you diminish people's need for Jesus.   The amount of importance you place on Jesus is directly proportionate to the level of importance you place on hell.

Yes, it is an attempt to diminish the awful reality of hell.  Annihilation takes away the prospect of having to suffer eternal suffering for rejection of Jesus.   But when you diminish the reality of hell, you diminish people's need for Jesus.   The amount of importance you place on Jesus is directly proportionate to the level of importance you place on hell.

Yes,Satan has a plan and a good one huh?

• Followers:  15
  • Topic Count:  114
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,236
  • Content Per Day:  0.29
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  12/18/1970

I know this is not the video forum ...but this is a great sermon on Hell. The "watch on Vimeo" button will take you to an external link.