Martyrdom in the US

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  58
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  5,457
  • Content Per Day:  1.69
  • Days Won:  37

The shooting at the community college in Roseburg was about martyrdom.  

I think christians need to start calling it what it is.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  598
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,129
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

so do we arm ourselves or just give in?

Or follow Jesus' words and move.

Matthew 10:23

When you are persecuted in one place, flee to another.

but little flower, there really is nowhere left to go...

And I personallly torn with the subject.....    do you send someone to hell that is sending you to heaven.....    do you leave your wife with MS here to fend for herself because some scumbag goes nuts....      it's not a cut and dry answer.   

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Topic Count:  47
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  565
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Days Won:  0

You can't just leave your life behind and move away..

Jesus was talking to the apostles who had no "earthly ties" - like wife, children etc...

Edited by xyluz

And I personallly torn with the subject.....    do you send someone to hell that is sending you to heaven.....    do you leave your wife with MS here to fend for herself because some scumbag goes nuts....      it's not a cut and dry answer.   

Oh I know it's not, and I've struggled for years with the same types of question.   My husband took me once to show me how to shoot with a shotgun.  Once I saw what it did to a milk carton I couldn't stomach it.

In the last year though, through playing a game (still in alpha development I think) called DayZ, which seeks to simulate emotions encountered in survival situations - amazing how well it was doing in that regard - i've learned something about guns and I think I've overcome some of that.    I found that in situations of self defense I could shot another.  But in other situations no.  

Now in real life what will I do?  What should I do?     We are to be like our Lord.  Jesus was like a lamb led to the slaughter.  I think to accept martyrdom is the highest calling and the fullest way we can follow our Lord and King.  

At the same time he told us to move from place to place - which means we truly become pilgrims in this world with no lasting home or possession.   And in so doing, we come into contact with more people who need to hear the gospel.

Facing suffering and martyrdom is where our faith is sorely tested.

He who seeks to save his life will lose it, but he who loses his life for My sake shall find it.

Edited by thereselittleflower

Oh I know it's not, and I've struggled for years with the same types of question.   My husband took me once to show me how to shoot with a shotgun.  Once I saw what it did to a milk carton I couldn't stomach it.

In the last year though, through playing a game (still in alpha development I think) called DayZ, which seeks to simulate emotions encountered in survival situations - amazing how well it was doing in that regard - i've learned something about guns and I think I've overcome some of that.    I found that in situations of self defense I could shot another.  But in other situations no.  

Now in real life what will I do?  What should I do?     We are to be like our Lord.  Jesus was like a lamb led to the slaughter.  I think to accept martyrdom is the highest calling and the fullest way we can follow our Lord and King.  

At the same time he told us to move from place to place - which means we truly become pilgrims in this world with no lasting home or possession.   And in so doing, we come into contact with more people who need to hear the gospel.

Facing siffering and martyrdom is where our faith is sorely tested.

He who seeks to save his life will lose it, but he who loses his life for My sake shall find it.

i have decided to shoot him and hope God doesn't let him/her die.   But let none of us go looking for ways to make it come up....    the last thing in the world any of us should want to do is have to reach for any kind of weapon.

• Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  100
  • Content Count:  41,191
  • Content Per Day:  7.98
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

If a man were able to shoot himself in the same manner that he would shoot another then and only then can it be a selfless act...
Or obedience to the Scripture
Matt 5:38-48
38 Ye have heard that it hath been said, An eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth:
39 But I say unto you, That ye resist not evil: but whosoever shall smite thee on thy right cheek, turn to him the other also.
40 And if any man will sue thee at the law, and take away thy coat, let him have thy cloke also.
41 And whosoever shall compel thee to go a mile, go with him twain.
42 Give to him that asketh thee, and from him that would borrow of thee turn not thou away.
43 Ye have heard that it hath been said, Thou shalt love thy neighbour, and hate thine enemy.
44 But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you;
45 That ye may be the children of your Father which is in heaven: for he maketh his sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain on the just and on the unjust.
46 For if ye love them which love you, what reward have ye? do not even the publicans the same?
47 And if ye salute your brethren only, what do ye more than others? do not even the publicans so?
48 Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect.

KJV
This perfection is found in the heart that is 100% fully reliant upon God and has relinquished all control
of self to that which The Word forms within them ... desiring God's glory above all else! The selfless act
'IS' that of God within working that which is without and we are the witness of such standing with Him...
Love, Steven

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  4,058
  • Content Per Day:  14.92
  • Days Won:  0

Personally, I am armed most of the time.  Not to protect myself, but to protect others.  I feel that's why God placed an interest in firearms within me, particularly handguns.  I'm not a hunter but I support their rights to hunt.

The last time I pulled my gun was when two late teens tried a home invasion at 2:00 am.  They tried to kick in the front door but couldn't.  It was late November so I ran out the front door barefoot with the ground wet from a rain earlier.  The two teens were hiding but I found the first one trying to hide under my Honda Civic -- he didn't fit.  My gun was about 3 feet from his eyes and he started jabbering incoherently.  I could see he was unarmed so I told him to get out of here, or words to that effect,  He took off running and I fired one shot behind him to encourage him to run faster.

I yelled back to my wife in the doorway of our house that I needed the big flashlight to find the other one.  (There were two sets of wet footprints up to our front door.)  When I did, the other one took to running from his hiding spot behind my transformer.  I fired one more shot behind him just to encourage him to run faster. 

My wife then called the local police to tell them what we did (in case a neighbor complained about the noise) and they asked if we needed them to come out.  We said no, we took care of it and we haven't be bothered since.

Edited by Saved.One.by.Grace
Add text.

Facing siffering and martyrdom is where our faith is sorely tested.

i have decided to shoot him and hope God doesn't let him/her die.   But let none of us go looking for ways to make it come up....    the last thing in the world any of us should want to do is have to reach for any kind of weapon.

I did not know siffering was a word  lol