• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  59
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,402
  • Content Per Day:  0.99
  • Days Won:  28
  • Birthday:  04/26/1971

I have found that I abhor the spirit inside of those who are as I once was and preach AT people instead of minister unto them nourishing words that feed them. In my ignorance I went about doing this just as Saul ignorantly persecuted the church.  Today I hate the thing I did because I see how it hurts people, especially Christians, to be full of myself and showing off all my spiritual 'knowledge' after a puffed up manner only to bruise my own kindred while cutting off those who might have believed.

It is a sore evil.

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Followers:  57
  • Topic Count:  1,546
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  10,320
  • Content Per Day:  1.41
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  11/05/1951

There are some good words and thoughts there, but let's not go from one extreme to the other. You are right, to want to abandone pride, and avoid being a Pharisee etc. Clearly, Saul was an example of how not to do it, but, there was nothing wrong with his zeal.

When I was unsaved, many well intentioned, loving Christians, tried to minister to me, told me the good news. Part of the problem though was, that to my mind, I did not need it. I was an atheist, I beleived in no after life, there was no God whose wrath I needed to avoid. To me, Christians were at best, well meaning people, who were decieved by superstitions, and fearful of some imaginary place of torment.

Their so called good news, was meaningless. Life was good, and at the end of it, there was nothing. Their message was not one that improved on what I had, from my perspective.

Their message, lacked any sense of urgency. God was a God of love, after all, so even if He was real, I knew He meant me no harm, after all, I never kiiled anyone, never robbed them, never beat them up, I had no enemies and got along well with others. Certainly, if there really was a God, He really had no serious complaints about me.

They never let me know that God is jealous, and won't stand for not being first. The never let me know, that in spite of my self opinion, that I was actually evil. They never let me know, that God's anger burned against even His own people, let alone how He might have felt about sinners like me, who would not even acknowledge His existence.

Amazing grace, is only amazing, when we really realize, that God is Holy, and were are evil, God is powerful, and we are impotent, God is sovereign, and we have no say. In other words the good new is really only good news, when we understand the bad news.

John the Baptist, the first evangelist for Jesus, began his ministry with the message "Repent"! Jesus Himself, began with the message "Repent"! 
Peter, in his Spirit filled sermon, said: "Repent and be baptized, every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins." 

Stephen, the church's first martyr said to the Jewish leadership: "You stiff-necked people! Your hearts and ears are still uncircumcised. You are just like your ancestors: You always resist the Holy Spirit! Was there ever a prophet your ancestors did not persecute?

Do you get the impression, that Evangelism was" Jesus loves you" or "God has a wonderful plan for your life"?

There is nothing wrong with being politically incorrect. There is nothing wrong with honesty, and there is nothing wrong with telling the whole truth. Yes, we have to be loving. Yes, we need to be respectful. Certainly, we need to be kind. If we love them, like God loves them, we will be interested in there area of need. Salvation, is the biggest need. However, unless they can understand that there is something to be saved from, they may be less that receptive to a salvation that they do not think they need.

At the same time, if we come at them with a "holier than thou" attitude, of course they will not want to listen to us. From the book of Jude:

"Be merciful to those who doubt; save others by snatching them from the fire; to others show mercy, mixed with fear—hating even the clothing stained by corrupted flesh."

Each hearer is in a different place in life, some more open than others, but all of us have the same need. Knowledge of the truth, is the path to freedom! The path that leads to destruction though, is wide.

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,992
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,690
  • Content Per Day:  11.79
  • Days Won:  226

We are to approach people with kindness and respect regarding God's awesome words.If we come off as militant people will dig in their heels and turn away and then we have lost them.It is our responsibility to plant a seed and then let God do the rest.Only God can change a heart.

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  134
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  8,142
  • Content Per Day:  2.35
  • Days Won:  20

I have found that I abhor the spirit inside of those who are as I once was and preach AT people instead of minister unto them nourishing words that feed them.

Let's not forget that the preaching of the Word includes reproof, rebuke and correction (2 Tim 3:16,17).  So long as the ego of the preacher is out of the way, Jesus says "As many as I love, I rebuke and chasten".  So yes, there are some so may preach in the wrong spirit, but there are others who have the right spirit. and at the same time expose things which need to be rebuked.

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1,022
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  6.10
  • Days Won:  78

I have found that I abhor the spirit inside of those who are as I once was and preach AT people instead of minister unto them nourishing words that feed them.

Let's not forget that the preaching of the Word includes reproof, rebuke and correction (2 Tim 3:16,17).  So long as the ego of the preacher is out of the way, Jesus says "As many as I love, I rebuke and chasten".  So yes, there are some so may preach in the wrong spirit, but there are others who have the right spirit. and at the same time expose things which need to be rebuked.

All true, Ezra.  And yet we know that we see harshness, name calling and prideful rebuke of posters right here on this site.  It doesn't work, ever, and is degrading to both the one being harsh and the one who is the receiver of that.  We are all just human but we are all believers as well; I don't see the love of Christ being played out here a lot of times.  There has to be a way to get through  to those who take pride in their own beliefs.  I have been guilty of this myself, many times, so I'm not pointing fingers at anyone else.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  100
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  41,232
  • Content Per Day:  7.98
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

All true, Ezra.  And yet we know that we see harshness, name calling and prideful rebuke of posters right here on this site.  It doesn't work, ever, and is degrading to both the one being harsh and the one who is the receiver of that.  We are all just human but we are all believers as well; I don't see the love of Christ being played out here a lot of times.  There has to be a way to get through  to those who take pride in their own beliefs.  I have been guilty of this myself, many times, so I'm not pointing fingers at anyone else.

be7fbf2c-7fe5-4266-887a-78ab5cb93272.jpg I confussion would like to know about your thumbs :mgdetective:

I will agree with you on that Morning.

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1,022
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  6.10
  • Days Won:  78

be7fbf2c-7fe5-4266-887a-78ab5cb93272.jpg I confussion would like to know about your thumbs :mgdetective:

My thumbs???  Steven, what is in that pipe??  :rolleyes:

My thumbs???  Steven, what is in that pipe??  :rolleyes:

Morning you just really do not want to know  trapper-smiley.gif?1292867691

Edited by bopeep1909

• Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  59
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,402
  • Content Per Day:  0.99
  • Days Won:  28
  • Birthday:  04/26/1971

Omega, some very good points made in your post.  I have no trouble with the idea of rebuke or reproof.  I use them for sure.  

I enjoy the fruit of Gods labor in me.  To seek to know him and surrender to him.  I am glad that God is a jealous God for I enjoy being protected by him as my shepherd.