Gods Omniscience and Omnibenevolence

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  4
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

God is omniscient that essentially means that he knows everything that is and will be. But if God is also omnibenevolent how can he know everything? Surely if he knows everything there is no way that he could be omnibenevolent.

For example, due to Gods omniscience and his ability to know everything, he would hence know what it is like to kill an innocent child, if he knows this than how could he possibly be omnibenevolent?

It would seem that in order to for him to be omniscient he would have a working knowledge and understanding of sin, which hence makes him not omnibenevolent.

However if he is omnibenevolent he can't know sin, and hence he cannot be omniscient.

I came here to see if you guys could help me solve this dilemma help me solidify my wavering faith

The correct terms for GOD are: omnificent (unlimited in creative power), omnipresent (present in all places at all times), and omnipotent (having complete and unlimited power). Omnibenevolent is not even a word, let alone a description of GOD used in Scripture.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,994
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,692
  • Content Per Day:  11.74
  • Days Won:  226

Welcome to Worthy.

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  44
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Birthday:  11/14/1971

I feel, out of love, God limits his knowledge of us sometimes like he did with Abraham when he told him to sacrifice his son.  Abraham did according to God's will, and God stopped him right before the act and said "Now I know" Gen 22:12. In other words, prior to this, God didn't know. 

We all have a little of God's eternal essence in us formed out of the ground, and breathed into us.  As Adam. We are all eternal beings. God deeply wants a people who will love and serve him out of free morality. Free will!  If God knew our futures, of what we ultimately would decide to do, wouldn't it deeply hurt God if we decided to turn away from him?

I really believe God limits himself. For us.

• Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  230
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  4,941
  • Content Per Day:  0.95
  • Days Won:  14

God's mercy and grace, rain and shine, blessings too do fall on all people regardless of their love of Him. However, just because an evil ungodly person has wealth, servants and good health and the poor man has little and his family are in want does not mean that God is not going call the rich man to account for how he used the bounty bestowed on him nor does it mean God cares little for the poor man. There is a day coming when all will be judged and what each man, rich or poor, did with what much or little he had. The rain falls on all equally if some use it for as a blessing and others a curse it is not God who is unjust.

Benevolence is giving good to man. Not certain what you intend it to mean when you say He cannot know sin and not be omnipresent which means everywhere at the same time.

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Followers:  207
  • Topic Count:  60
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  8,651
  • Content Per Day:  1.17
  • Days Won:  4
  • Birthday:  03/04/1943

Welcome~!

However if he is omnibenevolent he can't know sin....

and hence he cannot be omniscient....

:sherlock:

Of Sin

Of sin, because they believe not on me; John 16:9 (King James Version)

And Of God

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change. James 1:17 (English Standard Version)

So Beloved, What's The Beef?

Yes, they knew God, but they wouldn’t worship him as God or even give him thanks. And they began to think up foolish ideas of what God was like. As a result, their minds became dark and confused. Claiming to be wise, they instead became utter fools. Romans 1:21-22 (New Living Translation)

And, What To Do?

For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. John 3:16 (New International Version)

Love, Joe

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  4
  • Content Per Day:  0.00

The correct terms for GOD are: omnificent (unlimited in creative power), omnipresent (present in all places at all times), and omnipotent (having complete and unlimited power). Omnibenevolent is not even a word, let alone a description of GOD used in Scripture.

Many theologians attribute omnibenevolence to God almighty. For example Louis Berkhof an American-Dutch reformed theologian regards God as omnibenevolent.

As for it being mentioned in the scriptures, Romans 11:12 "God is the final standard of good, and all that God is and does is worthy of approval", being the final standard of good implies that God is incorruptibly good....or omnibenevolent.

Also to suggest that God isn't omnibenevolent is to suggest that God has a portion of evil within him. If he is not all good, then he is either a mixture of good and evil or completely evil. I have been brought up to believe that God is all good and like to think it so.  

Omniscience is a term meaning all knowing, yes the terms you have provided are also affiliated with God, however so is Omniscience. Which brings me back to my original question.

Allow me to elaborate on my original query. In order to be all knowing God must know every feeling that has ever been felt by anyone for every reason. As there have been an uncountable number of cases where an innocent child has been killed God would hence know what it is like to kill one.

My question is how can one be all good and yet know what it is like to commit such malevolent actions.

Welcome~!

~ Cheers Brah!

However if he is omnibenevolent he can't know sin....

and hence he cannot be omniscient....

:sherlock:

Of Sin

Of sin, because they believe not on me; John 16:9 (King James Version)

And Of God

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change. James 1:17 (English Standard Version)

So Beloved, What's The Beef?

Yes, they knew God, but they wouldn’t worship him as God or even give him thanks. And they began to think up foolish ideas of what God was like. As a result, their minds became dark and confused. Claiming to be wise, they instead became utter fools. Romans 1:21-22 (New Living Translation)

And, What To Do?

For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. John 3:16 (New International Version)

Love, Joe

Could you please explain the relation of your quotes to my question please.

Edited by AforementionedPerson

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1,022
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  6.08
  • Days Won:  78

As Rick Parker exlplained to you 'omnibenevolence' is not even a word and doesn't apply to the One True God.  It IS a popular talking point on atheist sites though. 

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  134
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  8,142
  • Content Per Day:  2.33
  • Days Won:  20

I came here to see if you guys could help me solve this dilemma help me solidify my wavering faith

Welcome AforementionedPerson,

"Omnibenevolent" is something you have coined, but infinitely gracious and merciful would be more apropos. What you are attempting to do is delve into the Mystery of God, and there are limits to what we can determine with our human capacity. God knows all and sees all, and He is also infinitely gracious and merciful. But He also allows sin and evil to exist on this earth "for a season". Your faith should not waver simply because you cannot grasp what only God can grasp. Your focus should always be on the Lord Jesus Christ and what He accomplished for your redemption. That is the only way to have a steadfast faith -- focus on the Cross and what it meant to God and to the whole world. God was in Christ reconciling the world unto Himself.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  140
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Birthday:  01/20/1987

My question is how can one be all good and yet know what it is like to commit such malevolent actions.

Welcome to Worthy!

Here's something. God, being all-knowing, still created humans knowing what they would be capable of, what they would do to hurt each other, before they took their first breath. God, being all-loving, died on a cross for the people that put Him there, knowing that there would still be people years later who reject Him. Would you die for someone who hated you? Would you have a child, knowing that he/she would commit murder as an adult? There are endless ways to try and mold God in our image, to make Him finite and tangible so we can try and relate/understand the "why" questions. The point is, God's ways are not our ways. Because He is infinite, there are some things  that are beyond our understanding. But His words and actions reveal His character, from the beginning when He created the heavens and the earth, to the moment He said He is coming back.

Luk 18:27  But He said, "The things which are impossible with men are possible with God."