krispeoples23

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

Looking to become a legit preacher. If anybody can help me please please feel free to respond! Thanks and God bless! 

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  55
  • Topic Count:  1,664
  • Topics Per Day:  0.20
  • Content Count:  19,764
  • Content Per Day:  2.38
  • Days Won:  28

1 hour ago, krispeoples23 said:

Looking to become a legit preacher. If anybody can help me please please feel free to respond! Thanks and God bless! 

Welcome :)

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  210
  • Content Per Day:  0.07

Welcome I'm glad you used the word legit. If you want to be a legit preacher you have to be saved. If you are already saved you are one. Legitimate preachers are those who live what they preach. 

KJV 1 Corinthians  9:14 Even so hath the Lord ordained that they which preach the gospel should live of the gospel.

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Followers:  207
  • Topic Count:  60
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  8,651
  • Content Per Day:  1.17
  • Days Won:  4
  • Birthday:  03/04/1943

Welcome~!

• Followers:  3
  • Content Count:  181
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Birthday:  12/15/1975

"Whoever aspires to the office of overseer desires a noble task. 

Therefore, an overseer must be irreproachable, married only once, temperate, self-controlled, decent, hospitable, able to teach, not a drunkard, not aggressive, but gentle, not contentious, not a lover of money. 

He must manage his own household well, keeping his children under control with perfect dignity for if a man does not know how to manage his own household, how can he take care of the church of God?

He should not be a recent convert, so that he may not become conceited and thus incur the devil’s punishment.

He must also have a good reputation among outsiders, so that he may not fall into disgrace, the devil’s trap."

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  1,499
  • Content Per Day:  0.43
  • Birthday:  03/31/1955

Welcome to Worthy , 

God bless you.

• Followers:  57
  • Topic Count:  1,546
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  10,320
  • Content Per Day:  1.41
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  11/05/1951

12 hours ago, completedbeliever1 said:

Therefore, an overseer must be irreproachable, married only once, temperate, self-controlled, decent, hospitable, able to teach, not a drunkard, not aggressive, but gentle, not contentious, not a lover of money. 

I do not know of any translation that says: "married only once".  In fact, that is not a translation, it is just an interpretation.

In fact, the Greek is 'present indiciative active' of one wife,
in other words all it is saying there is that he be currently not married to more than one woman, and many translations assume that to mean that he is faithful to his wife, but there is no reason in the Greek to force the text to say that he cannot have been married more than once. The passage is stressing that the person has to have good character and good reputation, and is not seeking to restrict a man from being an overseer, if he was viciously divorced through no fault of his own, or is a widower who remarried. That is going way beyond what the scripture says.

In any case, the OP asked about being a preacher, not an overseer. A preacher, is one who speaks up and out, about the things of God, all believers are called to be preachers, and to be a legit one, we only need be knowledgeable enough to preach the word with accuracy. Our legitimacy comes from the authority of Jesus Himself, in the great commission.

Now, if the OP means to say that He/she desires to be a pastor as in the chief shepherd in a local body of believers (a church), perhaps that question should be asked, but it should be asked in another part of the forum.

BTW, welcome Kris!

• Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  150
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  2,195
  • Content Per Day:  0.68
  • Days Won:  14

20 hours ago, krispeoples23 said:

what would be your questions and maybe we can better help you , for we don't know how or what to say unless you give us something to work with brother, and what your back ground , if you are grounded in the faith  ? are you  a believer for  a while, what is your goals and convictions, ?  why would you want to be a preacher, pastor , father or pope  ? 

why you think it be a good thing to lead others ? blessings to you

• Followers:  3
  • Content Count:  181
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Birthday:  12/15/1975

28 minutes ago, Omegaman 3.0 said:

I do not know of any translation that says: "married only once".  In fact, that is not a translation, it is just an interpretation.

In fact, the Greek is 'present indiciative active' of one wife,
in other words all it is saying there is that he be currently not married to more than one woman, and many translations assume that to mean that he is faithful to his wife, but there is no reason in the Greek to force the text to say that he cannot have been married more than once. The passage is stressing that the person has to have good character and good reputation, and is not seeking to restrict a man from being an overseer, if he was viciously divorced through no fault of his own, or is a widower who remarried. That is going way beyond what the scripture says.

In any case, the OP asked about being a preacher, not an overseer. A preacher, is one who speaks up and out, about the things of God, all believers are called to be preachers, and to be a legit one, we only need be knowledgeable enough to preach the word with accuracy. Our legitimacy comes from the authority of Jesus Himself, in the great commission.

Now, if the OP means to say that He/she desires to be a pastor as in the chief shepherd in a local body of believers (a church), perhaps that question should be asked, but it should be asked in another part of the forum.

BTW, welcome Kris!

You are pushing this well beyond what is said and meant.

A preacher is subject to these things said in Timothy, and it is by no means restricted to deacons and overseers.

While well thought out, your response was intended to "teach me a lesson" in which you, (along with others), think, or believe, I am ignorant. 

Since many christians are ignorant when it comes to old testament/new testament ties, symbols, types, shadows, and patterns, and cycles, they compensate with word studies.

While this is great, they forget that cycles and patterns are more important than succumbing to legalism.

• Followers:  57
  • Topic Count:  1,546
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  10,320
  • Content Per Day:  1.41
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  11/05/1951

Not sure what you are saying there, but to me, the idea that that verse says "married only once", is exactly what succumbing to legalism is:

‘BUT IN VAIN DO THEY WORSHIP ME,
            TEACHING AS DOCTRINES THE PRECEPTS OF MEN.’

I do not disagree that a preacher should have these qualities of character, but I think to say that a preacher must have them, as is taught for overseers, is again, going beyond scripture. We are all (beleivers) being sanctified, in the sense of growing, but the maturity of overseers, is a higher standard in growth, since it is about managment of those under your care. However, all believers should preach what they know, well before they are in charge of looking after the flock. The writer of Hebrews lamented that his readers, were to ignorant, and had to go back to boot camp, when by know, they should have been teachers. Implications there, is that people are at different levels, and different levels, have different requirements and responsibilities. However, anyone saved and aware of the gospel, has at least that much to share, to preach to others, while thier life might take some time, before they catch up enough to looking after the spiritual care of others, that is my point.

All of that though, still belongs in a topic that is not titled, "Looking to become a preacher".

By the way, typically when I reply like that, completedbeleiver1, I am not teaching the poster (you in this case) a lesson, and I am not making a comment on your ignorance as you imply. I am doing so for the sake of others who read these threads, and do not want your inserted interpretation, represented as though it is the word of God, that could lead others to misunderstandings.