• Group:  Newbie
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

Hello,

My name is Joanne. I graduated college last year and I started working but I'm having trouble tithing. I'm the first in my family to complete college and the family obligations are making it difficult for me to tithe. 

I understand that tithing is important and I know the consequences for not tithing, but it's still hard. I also know that my tithes should be the first thing I take out. 

I have a million excuses mainly bills, student loan payments and being the only financial support for my family.

That being said, how do I tithe when I have nothing left to give?  

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Followers:  57
  • Topic Count:  1,546
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  10,320
  • Content Per Day:  1.41
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  11/05/1951

Find a way to give of your time. I, for example, live on a Social Security check, there is not a lot left over. I have recently taken up painting, to raise money for charity. Sometimes, I help people with chores, or I babysit for free, or I donate time working at church or even teaching adult Bible studies. I even put in many hours here at Worthy, doing administive tasks.

You can probably find some ways to give of yourself, it does not have to be money, not a legalistic 10%. Give to God from something He has blessed you with, but do so willingly, out of love and thankfulness, so that you are a cheerful giver. Don't give because you think you should, give because you can!

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  155
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  7,464
  • Content Per Day:  1.01
  • Days Won:  57
  • Birthday:  12/12/1952

On 2/7/2016 at 10:28 PM, Jpez1295 said:

Hello,

My name is Joanne. I graduated college last year and I started working but I'm having trouble tithing. I'm the first in my family to complete college and the family obligations are making it difficult for me to tithe. 

I understand that tithing is important and I know the consequences for not tithing, but it's still hard. I also know that my tithes should be the first thing I take out. 

I have a million excuses mainly bills, student loan payments and being the only financial support for my family.

What are the consequences?  God knows your heart.  He understands.  He loves you and will not remove His blessings from you.  If you feel you must give , give what you can and give it with a joyful heart.  He will honor  it and you.  Don't let guilt bring you down.  That is just what the enemy wants  to do.  You know too that it doesn't always have to be money, it can be time you can share.  Help someone out with a ride to church or make a meal for someone who needs it.  You can be a blessing in other areas other then money.  Ask God to show you what my friend calls "ministry moments"  You will be blessed and so will those who you reach out to.

Blessings, RustyAngeL 

• Followers:  207
  • Topic Count:  60
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  8,651
  • Content Per Day:  1.17
  • Days Won:  4
  • Birthday:  03/04/1943

2 hours ago, Jpez1295 said:

Hello,

:emot-heartbeat:

Beloved, Sow Into The Ministry God Gave You,
Your Family

But if any provide not for his own, and specially for those of his own house, he hath denied the faith, and is worse than an infidel. 1 Timothy 5:8

Otherwise Give (About 30%~!) Of The Produce Of Your Fields
(Never Money~!) To The Levites Attending
To The LORD's Work

And if the way be too long for thee, so that thou art not able to carry it; or if the place be too far from thee, which the LORD thy God shall choose to set his name there, when the LORD thy God hath blessed thee:
Then shalt thou turn it into money, and bind up the money in thine hand, and shalt go unto the place which the LORD thy God shall choose:
And thou shalt bestow that money for whatsoever thy soul lusteth after, for oxen, or for sheep, or for wine, or for strong drink, or for whatsoever thy soul desireth: and thou shalt eat there before the LORD thy God, and thou shalt rejoice, thou, and thine household,
And the Levite that is within thy gates; thou shalt not forsake him; for he hath no part nor inheritance with thee.
At the end of three years thou shalt bring forth all the tithe of thine increase the same year, and shalt lay it up within thy gates:
And the Levite, (because he hath no part nor inheritance with thee,) and the stranger, and the fatherless, and the widow, which are within thy gates, shall come, and shall eat and be satisfied; that the LORD thy God may bless thee in all the work of thine hand which thou doest.
Deuteronomy 14:24-29

~

When The LORD Returns
To Zion Town

I will go and return to my place, till they acknowledge their offence, and seek my face: in their affliction they will seek me early. Hosea 5:15

And
As A Jew
And If Possible
Fire Up That Old Turnip Truck
And Dump It In The Warehouses At Jerusalem

Love, Your Brother Joe

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  58
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  5,457
  • Content Per Day:  1.68
  • Days Won:  37

2 hours ago, Jpez1295 said:

Hello,

We are not required to tithe.   There is no 10% - Christ gave himself completely for us.  Putting a price on what we can give Him in return isn't how we respond.   You are to give according to your ability - there is no set amount or percentage.

The instructions in scripture are simple:

• 1 Corinthians 16:2  On the first day of every week, each one of you should set aside a sum of money in keeping with your income, saving it up, so that when I come no collections will have to be made.

We give as we are able to, as scripture says. God isn't expecting an amount, but rather He is looking for what you give with your Heart. The story of the "Widow's Mite" in the Gospels illustrates this beautifully. She gave all that she could, and the Lord said she had given more than anyone else.

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  210
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Days Won:  0

We are not under the Mosaic Law Christians do not have to tithe. You  should never be pressured to tithe. The criteria on giving money to your church is the following 

KJV 2 Corinthians  9:7 Every man according as he purposeth in his heart, so let him give; not grudgingly, or of necessity: for God loveth a cheerful giver.

In other words give what God put on your  heart to give this should be true for everything you do for the Lord he looks into your heart to see your true intentions 

Edited by manuelf324

It is important to tithe. But that doesn't mean it has to be money. It can be time (which is money), such as volunteering. If it is money, than one should tithe first, than take care of what comes next. I know that can be scary, but we can trust GOD to take care of the rest. Still, if you can't see a way, don't let it spoil your joy in Christ. You are still GOD's Child!!!!

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  230
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  4,941
  • Content Per Day:  0.95
  • Days Won:  14

You give according to your ability. If you are not able to give financially give of your time. Remember if you an only give a small amount it is how you give it that matters. If you give even that small amount but give it grudgingly God cannot bless it.  God knows your ability. 

• Followers:  57
  • Topic Count:  1,546
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  10,320
  • Content Per Day:  1.41
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  11/05/1951

I moved this thread to this location, because it was becoming more of a discussion, not really suited to the original topic area. It also appear that the original poster had not returned, so that seemed like another reason to move it to this area.

For those who might be interested, here is a link where you may read my thoughts on the tithe. it is a bible study, more than it is an opinion piece, but of course I tried to make it readable. I Suppose it is in a way, a commentary, every point I make, has a scripture citation I think, and additionally, every scripture on the topic that I could find in the Bible, was also listed.

So, if anyone wants do dig through those, they are collected for you.

Part 1       Part 2