• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  58
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  5,457
  • Content Per Day:  1.69
  • Days Won:  37

Just now, ayin jade said:

That will never happen. Ever. It didnt work for the early church. It wont work today. Especially today. Far too many unsaved folks.

I'm talking on a theoretical level.

I recognize it would not work in practice right now.  Could it work one day?  Maybe.  As I said above, that would depend on us.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  2,491
  • Content Per Day:  0.55
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  02/02/1971

Just now, thereselittleflower said:

I'm talking on a theoretical level.

I recognize it would not work in practice right now.  Could it work one day?  Maybe.  As I said above, that would depend on us.

If it depended on us, it would have equal chance of working now or in the future.  Now your example of the early church, where they had all things in common, certainly sounds good.  But why did it work then, and for how long?  I don't know, but it seems not very long.  I was of the understanding it worked as the Holy Spirit was working, which then means it is not up to us, but God.  

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  597
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,106
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

2 hours ago, hmbld said:

I don't get all the communist questions, but ok.

Can a person be a communist and a christian at the same time?  Or does labeling someone a communist somehow change how that person should be treated?  Questions I have.  

Hummm......   now that's a good question.    something to ponder on.

• Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  58
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  5,457
  • Content Per Day:  1.69
  • Days Won:  37

26 minutes ago, hmbld said:

If it depended on us, it would have equal chance of working now or in the future.  Now your example of the early church, where they had all things in common, certainly sounds good.  But why did it work then, and for how long?  I don't know, but it seems not very long.  I was of the understanding it worked as the Holy Spirit was working, which then means it is not up to us, but God.  

No, what I mean is, it would depend on us being able to live as christians fully the way we are called to live in agape love for each other.

That's not happening right now.  Maybe someday it could.  That does not make it an equal chance compared to now.

Remember, I am speaking theoretically.

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1,022
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  6.11
  • Days Won:  78

6 hours ago, hmbld said:

I don't get all the communist questions, but ok.

Can a person be a communist and a christian at the same time?  Or does labeling someone a communist somehow change how that person should be treated?  Questions I have.  

No, a person can be a communist and still be a good person.  However, communism is an atheist ideology.  I have asked if a couple of people were communists because of their statements about Putin.  There are others that praise him that I KNOW are believers though.

6 hours ago, Spock said:

Lol! :)

i don't think I am, but maybe I am by some other people's standards.  Heck, didn't the Jews even slander Jesus by calling him things pretty similar at that time? 

Well if you don't think you are, you probably aren't.  I don't ask to be offensive, i just like to know who i'm dealing with.

6 hours ago, Spock said:

What are you afraid of?  Why hate Putin?  He hates ISIS, don't you? 

Putin probably does hate ISIS but his military is not concentrating on taking them out but, rather, the rebels acting against Assad.  It's in the news every day.  Putin is a dictator and he's a communist.  Anyone who doesn't see that isn't looking.  Ask the people in Ukraine.

1 hour ago, MorningGlory said:

Putin probably does hate ISIS but his military is not concentrating on taking them out but, rather, the rebels acting against Assad.  It's in the news every day.  Putin is a dictator and he's a communist.  Anyone who doesn't see that isn't looking.  Ask the people in Ukraine.

do you realize that the west promised Russia that NATO would not go into Ukraine, and our own CIA was responsible for the overthrow of the Ukraine Government that started this whole mess.

Is Russia a democratic or communist country?

Does Russia have a parliament and if it does why is everyone scared of Vladimir Putin ?
How can he inforce a "communist" rule by not allowing press freedom even though Russia is a "democratic country".

8 Answers

Darrell Francis
Darrell Francis, International Administration MA
17.3k Views

The question presents a false dichotomy. Democracy is primarily a political system while communism is primarily an economic system. Democracy and communism can exist together, in exclusion of one another, or neither may exist. While historically, they have generally existed in exclusion, there is no reason exceptions can't exist.

Nothing about modern Russia is communist. It is not a classless society where all property is communally-owned. It is a capitalist society wherein people own private property, businesses make profits, and workers are paid wages.

Russia is technically a democracy because its leaders are elected, but it's very flawed democracy as elections are rigged and opposition is stifled. Russia lacks many of the qualities we associate with liberal democracy, primarily the protection of individual rights and free press.

Russia has a parliament called the State Duma, however, the party in control is Putin's own party, United Russia, and they rarely, if ever, oppose Putin or restrict his powers. The Duma is essentially a rubber stamp, which only serves to lend Putin legitimacy.

For future reference, government's which restrict freedoms or have strong central rulers are typically called authoritarian or totalitarian, and are not necessarily communist.

• Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  29
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,239
  • Content Per Day:  0.86
  • Days Won:  6

11 hours ago, hmbld said:

My guess is it worked for a year or two, and then the thrill was gone.....