• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  154
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  3,245
  • Content Per Day:  0.78
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  05/11/1984

This is kinda hard for me to say, but: I know I fear the Lord, but not nearly enough as I should.  So much preaching today presents the Lord Jesus Christ as a pal.  Sometimes I feel that we forget that He is King of Kings, Lord of Lords, God Almighty; Creator and Possessor of heaven and earth and all things!  Even some professing Christians today see nothing wrong with challenging His authority, His Word, and His position.  Even when it is plainly written that He has the Name above all names, and that everything has been given to Him, subjected under His authority.  Including us!!!  Actually, I have even been discouraged by some that I am being way too over the top in treating God with the seriousness that I do treat Him.  I don't know what to think about that at all, but it's easy to choose to go with the side of seriousness.

Now I get that He no longer calls us servants but friends, and that Abraham is His friend, and that we share in His inheritance, and all that is wonderful.  But a man who had spent 3 & 1/2 yrs with Him and knew he was loved by Him fell down at His feet as though dead when he saw Him in His glory! (see the book of Revelation, chapter 1, beginning at the first verse)

His Name is Immanuel, God with us.  God who dwells among us.  I have trouble dealing with the fact that I am just a tad too comfortable with Him and it just irks me!  Anybody out there who feels the same way?  Anyone who can share their ow revelation of the fear of the Lord?  I eagerly await your answers, testimonies and encouragements - and it wouldn't hurt to pray for me considering this issue.  Thank you, fellow Worhy-ites.

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  99
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  5,153
  • Content Per Day:  1.48
  • Days Won:  4
  • Birthday:  09/01/1950

Not wanting to get too specific about the details of my own experience, let me just say when one comes into the Presence, one becomes TOTALLY EXPOSED. All of your supposedly secret thoughts and deeds are revealed, and that can be a fearsome thing.

Isaiah 6:5 So I [Isaiah] said:
“Woe is me, for I am undone!
Because I am a man of unclean lips,
And I dwell in the midst of a people of unclean lips;
For my eyes have seen the King,
The LORD of hosts.”

Rev. 1:7 Behold, He is coming with clouds, and every eye will see Him, even they who pierced Him. And all the tribes of the earth will mourn because of Him. Even so, Amen. ... 6:16 ...and said... “hide us from the Face of Him who sits on the throne..."

Luke 12:2 “For there is nothing covered that will not be revealed, nor hidden that will not be known. 3 Therefore whatever you have spoken in the dark will be heard in the light, and what you have spoken in the ear in inner rooms will be proclaimed on the housetops."

And that should be a fearsome thing, even to every believer who trusts in Christ.

(Consider how many of the topics on Worthy have been shut down for ill-speaking, for example. :ph34r:)

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  186
  • Content Count:  14,257
  • Content Per Day:  3.32
  • Days Won:  30

The Holy Spirit in me cries out Daddy, or Da Da, (Abba, Abba).  So I do feel very close to Him, warmed by Him, protected and nourished by Him.

The fear comes when I have willingly disobeyed Him.  Should I become proud and rebellious, I know from experience that I will be chastened.  That is getting a whipping and being isolated for a time.  Standing in the corner, it was called in my day.  There is no comfort there, and there is a lot of pain.  It is a good reminder of what is was before God came into my life.  God runs over me with a bulldozer and flattens me when I do not willingly prostrate myself before Him in loving adoration.  

Hebrews 12:5-13 ESV.  And have you forgotten the exhortation that addresses you as sons?  "My son, do not regard lightly the discipline of the Lord, nor be weary when reproved by Him.  For the Lord disciplines the one he loves, and chastises every son whom he receives."  It is for discipline that you have to endure.  God is treating you as sons.  For what son is there whom his father does not discipline?  9 Besides this, we have had earthly fathers who disciplined us and we respected them.  Shall we not much more be subject to the Father of spirits and live?  For they disciplined us for a short time as it seemed best to them, BUT HE DISCIPLINES US FOR OUR GOOD, THAT WE MAY SHARE IN HIS HOLINESS.  FOR THE MOMENT ALL DISCIPLINE SEEMS PAINFUL RATHER THAN PLEASANT, BUT LATER IT YIELDS THE PEACEFUL FRUIT OF RIGHTEOUSNESS TO THOSE WHO HAVE BEEN TRAINED BY IT.  Therefor lift you drooping hands and strengthen your weak knees, and make straight paths for you feet, so that what is lame may not be put out of joint but rather be healed.  (That means we should plan ahead so that we will not be tempted again and stumble.)

I do fear the discipline of God.  Psm 111:10  The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom; all those who practice it have a good understanding.  His praise endures forever!

Fear often brings the obedience when I am unwilling.  Never do I want to be out of fellowship with my Father again.  That I fear more than the discipline.  

Blessings,

Willa

• Followers:  70
  • Topic Count:  340
  • Topics Per Day:  0.09
  • Content Count:  16,834
  • Content Per Day:  4.70
  • Days Won:  81
  • Birthday:  04/02/2000

The fear of the Lord is a holy fear of sinning against a holy God.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  14
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  825
  • Content Per Day:  0.13
  • Days Won:  0

16 hours ago, *Zion* said:

This is kinda hard for me to say, but: I know I fear the Lord, but not nearly enough as I should.

Proverbs 9:10 The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom: and the knowledge of the holy is understanding.

Romans 10:8 But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us. Much more then, being now justified by his blood, we shall be saved from wrath through him. 10  For if, when we were enemies, we were reconciled to God by the death of his Son, much more, being reconciled, we shall be saved by his life. 11  And not only so, but we also joy in God through our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom we have now received the atonement.

Luke 12:32  Fear not, little flock; for it is your Father's good pleasure to give you the kingdom.

18 hours ago, WilliamL said:

Not wanting to get too specific about the details of my own experience, let me just say when one comes into the Presence, one becomes TOTALLY EXPOSED. All of your supposedly secret thoughts and deeds are revealed, and that can be a fearsome thing.

Isaiah 6:5 So I [Isaiah] said:
“Woe is me, for I am undone!
Because I am a man of unclean lips,
And I dwell in the midst of a people of unclean lips;
For my eyes have seen the King,
The LORD of hosts.”

Rev. 1:7 Behold, He is coming with clouds, and every eye will see Him, even they who pierced Him. And all the tribes of the earth will mourn because of Him. Even so, Amen. ... 6:16 ...and said... “hide us from the Face of Him who sits on the throne..."

Luke 12:2 “For there is nothing covered that will not be revealed, nor hidden that will not be known. 3 Therefore whatever you have spoken in the dark will be heard in the light, and what you have spoken in the ear in inner rooms will be proclaimed on the housetops."

And that should be a fearsome thing, even to every believer who trusts in Christ.

(Consider how many of the topics on Worthy have been shut down for ill-speaking, for example. :ph34r:)

Well, now; that is something to think about :)  

But going back to what you quoted; is the undone-ness that Isaiah experience the standard we need to reach in terms of fearing the Lord?  Like I said, some think I take it way too far, but I don't think I take it far enough.  I want to be as close as I can get to God, but I don't want to become familiar with Him - which I think was part of the reason why Moses struck the rock instead of speaking to it as instructed.  

Thank you to the rest of those who responded, I agree with everything that has been said so far :)

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  7,689
  • Content Per Day:  2.37
  • Days Won:  20

quick footnote/ check: I think certainly Moses didn't strike the rock due to familiarity with Yahweh.  I think maybe in Scripture it is written why, maybe not,  but why is not usually important.   will clarify later Yahweh willing.

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  99
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  5,153
  • Content Per Day:  1.48
  • Days Won:  4
  • Birthday:  09/01/1950

4 hours ago, *Zion* said:

But going back to what you quoted; is the undone-ness that Isaiah experience the standard we need to reach in terms of fearing the Lord?  Like I said, some think I take it way too far, but I don't think I take it far enough.  

Undone-ness is how we must first come to the Lord. If we don't recognize our utter sinfulness at some point, then we won't be all that serious about attaining holiness.

This is the state of much if not most of the Church these days: that is, lukewarmness about sin and righteousness. Such people are woefully unprepared to come into the Presence at the time of His appearing. Such people are unable to comprehend the real fearsomeness of holiness, because they have never personally experienced it, and generally have never been taught about it.

Of course I agree, but my point is that Isaiah got a pretty huge revelation of it, and therefore responded accordingly.  I guess we all have to grow in our fear and reverence of God.  I don't think there really is such a thing as taking God too seriously.  That is a ridiculous notion to me.  And yet that is what others insist upon.

Now let me be clear that I'm not talking about living out our lives in utter dread and despair.  God wants us to enjoy Him and His life in abundance.  The bible tastes us to taste and see that the Lord is good.  It is out of His mercy that we reverence Him, because we know He has every right not to exercise mercy, and yet He continues to do so.

It is sad that not much is taught today about the fear of the Lord.  I haven't had a radical personal experienceof it, but I only have to read the bible to know that I need to experience more of it.  

I shall leave it up to God how He wants to deal with me.  Having said that, it is a fearful thing to fall into the hands of the Living God :) But I trust Him, and I submit myself to Him.  I guess that's all we can do.