IGNORED

If Jesus was a Nazarene,in Galilee what was His ethnic back ground ?

SINNERSAVED

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  142
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Days Won:  0

5 minutes ago, bopeep1909 said:

Question: "Was Jesus a Jew?"

Very well written post Bopeep1909. 

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  134
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  8,142
  • Content Per Day:  2.32
  • Days Won:  20

32 minutes ago, Paradigm said:

That was a cut-and-paste from GotQuestions.org as shown at the bottom.

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,996
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,693
  • Content Per Day:  11.67
  • Days Won:  226

51 minutes ago, Ezra said:

That was a cut-and-paste from GotQuestions.org as shown at the bottom.

You bet it was. A Christian ministry and God's word is more valuable than what I "think" if they are a reliable source and preach the truth. That is hard to find now days.

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,996
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,693
  • Content Per Day:  11.67
  • Days Won:  226

1 hour ago, Paradigm said:

Yes,it is from a Christian Ministry from the internet called "Got questions". It is founded by a Baptist minister by the name of Michael Houdmann.The only thing I do not agree with is that I think "got questions" is a little too Calvinist for me. 

http://www.gotquestions.org/S-Michael-Houdmann.html.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  101
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  41,938
  • Content Per Day:  8.05
  • Days Won:  77
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

8 hours ago, bopeep1909 said:

Yes,it is from a Christian Ministry from the internet called "Got questions". It is founded by a Baptist minister by the name of Michael Houdmann.The only thing I do not agree with is that I think "got questions" is a little too Calvinist for me. 

http://www.gotquestions.org/S-Michael-Houdmann.html.

You'll find that a lot of the great exegetes are of that persuasion... leaning to the Sovereignty of God
is the natural flow of Scripture~ for Who else in all of eternity is worthy of praise :noidea:  yet in all that
God has done is to propound His Love upon us and will define why only in Himself 'The Who of Him'...
My value cannot be based upon myself or generated from myself for I was born in a place of death
dead for all to see... the whole Sovereignty and freewill thing should dissipate in a heart driven by the
need to worship God as He 'IS' 'THE' 'ONLY' Being to receive such :thumbsup:  Love, Steven

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  134
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  8,142
  • Content Per Day:  2.32
  • Days Won:  20

13 hours ago, bopeep1909 said:

You bet it was. A Christian ministry and God's word is more valuable than what I "think" if they are a reliable source and preach the truth. That is hard to find now days.

I agree that GotQuestions is generally a good source of information.

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1,022
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  6.06
  • Days Won:  78

On 4/15/2016 at 6:59 AM, enoob57 said:

You'll find that a lot of the great exegetes are of that persuasion... leaning to the Sovereignty of God
is the natural flow of Scripture~ for Who else in all of eternity is worthy of praise :noidea:  yet in all that
God has done is to propound His Love upon us and will define why only in Himself 'The Who of Him'...
My value cannot be based upon myself or generated from myself for I was born in a place of death
dead for all to see... the whole Sovereignty and freewill thing should dissipate in a heart driven by the
need to worship God as He 'IS' 'THE' 'ONLY' Being to receive such :thumbsup:  Love, Steven

Well said, Steven!  :)

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  42
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  6,672
  • Content Per Day:  1.08
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  10/28/1957

On April 14, 2016 at 4:30 PM, Willa said:

I apologize, Retrobyter, I apparently was misinformed.  I was led to believe that people with the names of Levi and Cohen were of the priestly tribe of Levites.  Please forgive me ignorance and thank you for correcting me.

On April 14, 2016 at 5:26 PM, Qnts2 said:

Just a comment. The children of Israel often give first names from biblical people, so Levi and Cohen as a first name would not necessarily apply to tribal linage. Children of Israel were called by the first name, and then 'son of xxxx', but while dispersed in other countries, were required to take a last name. The people from the tribe of Levi often took the last name indicating their tribe, Levi, Levitt, Cohen, Katz, etc. So a Jewish person with the last name of Levi.. or Cohen, are usually of that tribe. 

Shalom, Willa and Qnts2.

Quite alright, Willa. I took no offense. "Levi," or rather "Leeviy," IS the name of the father of the tribe that was chosen for the priestly lineage. And, "Cohen" MEANS "priest," although I don't know anyone who had "Cohen" as a first name. Today, it is a LAST name to show one's lineage to a Jewish priestly line. On the other hand, "Cohen" has SEVERAL different spellings through several different languages, like "Khan," Cohn," "Cohann," and so on.

OT:3548 koheen (ko-hane'); active participle of OT:3547; literally, one officiating, a priest; also (by courtesy) an acting priest (although a layman):
KJV - chief ruler,  own, priest, prince, principal officer.

(Biblesoft's New Exhaustive Strong's Numbers and Concordance with Expanded Greek-Hebrew Dictionary. Copyright © 1994, 2003, 2006 Biblesoft, Inc. and International Bible Translators, Inc.)

Remember that names MEANT SOMETHING! People would frequently name their children based on some event in their lives at the time of the child's birth.

"Leeviy," (pronounced "LAY-Vee") for instance, was given to Leah's third son for this reason: Leah was NOT Ya`aqov's (Jacob's) first choice for a wife. That would make ANYONE feel insecure and unloved. With each son that she bore to Ya`aqov, she HOPED that the bond would grow between her and her husband.

Genesis 29:34
34 And she conceived again, and bare a son; and said, Now this time will my husband be joined unto me (Hebrew: yilawveh iyshiy eelay), because I have born him three sons: therefore was his name called Levi (Hebrew: Leeviy).
KJV

OT:3867 laavaah (law-vaw'); a primitive root; properly, to twine, i.e. (by implication) to unite, to remain; also to borrow (as a form of obligation) or (caus.) to lend:
KJV - abide with, borrow (-er), cleave, join (self), lend (-er).

OT:3878 Leeviy (lay-vee'); from OT:3867; attached; Levi, a son of Jacob:
KJV - Levi. See also OT:3879, OT:3881.

(Biblesoft's New Exhaustive Strong's Numbers and Concordance with Expanded Greek-Hebrew Dictionary. Copyright © 1994, 2003, 2006 Biblesoft, Inc. and International Bible Translators, Inc.)

Hopefully, I've given you enough external evidence to support what I'm about to say regarding the Hebrew: The "-iy" suffix is a PERSONAL possessive ending, meaning "MY." The proof of this can be seen in "aav" (OT:1) meaning "father," and "aaviy" meaning "my father." (Note: "B" [bet] and "V" [vet] are the same letter in Hebrew, but in the middle of a word, the bet must be dotted to carry the "B" sound; undotted it is given the "V" sound. Apparently, Strong learned differently.)

OT:1 'aab (awb); a primitive word; father, in a literal and immediate, or figurative and remote application):
KJV - chief, (fore-) father ([-less]),  patrimony, principal. Compare names in "Abi-".

Therefore, "Leeviy" means "MY joining" or "MY uniting." Although SOMETIMES a person was named after a relative, it was NOT often the reason for a naming! Most of the time, it was for the MEANING of the name that a child was so named.

Thus, in the Messiah's lineage, you WILL find the name "Leeviy" (see verse 29), but not because he was of that tribe (see verse 33)!

Luke 3:23-38
23 And Jesus himself began to be about thirty years of age, being (as was supposed) the son of Joseph, which was the son of Heli,
24 Which was the son of Matthat, which was the son of Levi, which was the son of Melchi, which was the son of Janna, which was the son of Joseph,
25 Which was the son of Mattathias, which was the son of Amos, which was the son of Naum, which was the son of Esli, which was the son of Nagge,
26 Which was the son of Maath, which was the son of Mattathias, which was the son of Semei, which was the son of Joseph, which was the son of Juda,
27 Which was the son of Joanna, which was the son of Rhesa, which was the son of Zorobabel, which was the son of Salathiel, which was the son of Neri,
28 Which was the son of Melchi, which was the son of Addi, which was the son of Cosam, which was the son of Elmodam, which was the son of Er,
29 Which was the son of Jose, which was the son of Eliezer, which was the son of Jorim, which was the son of Matthat, which was the son of Levi,
30 Which was the son of Simeon, which was the son of Juda, which was the son of Joseph, which was the son of Jonan, which was the son of Eliakim,
31 Which was the son of Melea, which was the son of Menan, which was the son of Mattatha, which was the son of Nathan, which was the son of David,
32 Which was the son of Jesse, which was the son of Obed, which was the son of Booz, which was the son of Salmon, which was the son of Naasson,
33 Which was the son of Aminadab, which was the son of Aram, which was the son of Esrom, which was the son of Phares, which was the son of Juda,
34 Which was the son of Jacob, which was the son of Isaac, which was the son of Abraham, which was the son of Thara, which was the son of Nachor,
35 Which was the son of Saruch, which was the son of Ragau, which was the son of Phalec, which was the son of Heber, which was the son of Sala,
36 Which was the son of Cainan, which was the son of Arphaxad, which was the son of Sem, which was the son of Noe, which was the son of Lamech,
37 Which was the son of Mathusala, which was the son of Enoch, which was the son of Jared, which was the son of Maleleel, which was the son of Cainan,
38 Which was the son of Enos, which was the son of Seth, which was the son of Adam, which was the son of God.
KJV

And, just as a tidbit of information to tickle your minds, the four names found in Zechariah 12:12-13 are found here in Luke's record of Miryam's lineage!

Oh, yes, and to comfort those who might be distressed by poor Leah's insecurity, Ya`aqov/Yisra'el (Jacob/Israel) was buried with her, not with her sister Rachel, whose tomb is near Beit-Lechem (Bethlehem).

Genesis 49:29-33
29 And he charged them, and said unto them, I am to be gathered unto my people: bury me with my fathers in the cave that is in the field of Ephron the Hittite,
30 In the cave that is in the field of Machpelah, which is before Mamre, in the land of Canaan, which Abraham bought with the field of Ephron the Hittite for a possession of a buryingplace.
31 There they buried Abraham and Sarah his wife; there they buried Isaac and Rebekah his wife; and there I buried Leah.
32 The purchase of the field and of the cave that is therein was from the children of Heth.
33 And when Jacob had made an end of commanding his sons, he gathered up his feet into the bed, and yielded up the ghost, and was gathered unto his people.
KJV

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  138
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Days Won:  1

On 4/13/2016 at 3:24 PM, Paradigm said:

Good topic SS.

We know that he was from the tribe of Judah.  though nothing is mentioned specifically, He also was of Levite, but of the Kohenim. (Priests) For we know that he was related on his mother's side to John the Baptist which was the priestly lineage. 

Many believe that Aramaic was the common language spoken at the time. It is a very close sister language to Hebrew. However we that Hebrew was widely spoken or there would have been no reason to have the transcription on the stake in Hebrew. Neither does it say anything about Aramaic being written there either. 

Luke 23:38 And a superscription also was written over him in letters of Greek, and Latin, and Hebrew, This Is The King Of The Jews.

(Some time we can discuss why the superscription was so offensive to some)

Most believe that the NT was originally written in Greek. However, I think there is more and more evidence that was not the case. Part of it such as Paul's letters may have been, but many of the early historians claimed that Matthew was written in Hebrew. I believe many other books were originally written in Hebrew for a number of reasons. For one thing, the style of Hebrew as compared to proper Greek. Hebrew is very redundant and differs from the way Greek is written or spoken. For example:

Luke 22:15 And he said unto them, With desire I have desired to eat this passover with you before I suffer:

Also it is proper Hebrew to begin statements with "And." This is not proper Greek. Not only do we see this style in the Hebrew Tanakh throughout, but also in the NT. For example:

Genesis 1:2-4

And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters.

And God said, Let there be light: and there was light.

And God saw the light, that it was good: and God divided the light from the darkness.

John 1:3-5

All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made.

In him was life; and the life was the light of men.

And the light shineth in darkness; and the darkness comprehended it not.

Why would so many of these kinds of statements below be written if Hebrew was a dead language in the 1st Century as many have believed?

John 5:2 Now there is at Jerusalem by the sheep market a pool, which is called in the Hebrew tongue Bethesda, having five porches.

John 19:17

And he bearing his cross went forth into a place called the place of a skull, which is called in the Hebrew Golgotha:

What language did Y'shua speak to Shaul?

Acts 26:14

And when we were all fallen to the earth, I heard a voice speaking unto me, and saying in the Hebrew tongue, Saul, Saul, why persecutest thou me? it is hard for thee to kick against the pricks.

What language did Paul use to speak to the crowd?

Acts 21:40 And when he had given him licence, Paul stood on the stairs, and beckoned with the hand unto the people. And when there was made a great silence, he spake unto them in the Hebrew tongue, saying,

Acts 22:2

(And when they heard that he spake in the Hebrew tongue to them, they kept the more silence: and he saith,)

Revelation is written in a very Hebrew style. The name below is specified in both languages. 

Revelation 9:11

And they had a king over them, which is the angel of the bottomless pit, whose name in the Hebrew tongue is Abaddon, but in the Greek tongue hath his name Apollyon.

One thing that probably should be mentioned is this: The word "Jew" comes from the word "Judah." Judah was a tribe and also became a house/kingdom. The term Jew began to be used in a way that could refer to tribes of that southern kingdom or people of tribes that settled there. For example, Paul refers to himself as a Jew, but he also explains that he was of the tribe of Benjamin. He also refers to himself as a Hebrew. 

The first time the term "hebrew" is used refers to Abraham. His descendants began to be referred to as Hebrews. As Jacob's descendants grew they were called Israel so you see the term Hebrew used in Exodus as well as the corporate Israel. 

All roosters are chickens. Not all chickens are roosters. All Texans are American, not all Americans are Texans. All Jews are Israelites. Not all Israelites are Jews. However, modern day Judaism and Christianity use the terms pretty much in a synonymous way. 

Sorry I didn't get to all of your questions. 

is it safe to say that possibly the book of Hebrews may have also been written in Hebrews?

• Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  867
  • Topics Per Day:  0.23
  • Content Count:  7,331
  • Content Per Day:  1.97
  • Days Won:  31
  • Birthday:  04/28/1964

On 13/04/2016 at 8:30 PM, SINNERSAVED said:

okay , i have to bring this to the table, and its not to say , if our Lord Jesus walked the earth , it be good to know what we can about Him other then His words and that He was the son of God, we all know that He was a Nazarene  in a town of Galilee , and so it goes , that we have the bible, that has been translated from , greek , and Hebrew, and then to English, but was there a  Aramaic start to this , as far as language,. and ethnic back ground, ?

i am asking to try to clear this up for my research , and so i want to make it easy , and simple of what i am asking, and it may be a few questions, to get the right answers , if i do this right , okay  and thank you in advance i am not wanting to be rude , or discriminating at all, but to find answers.

okay , if Jesus came from Nazareth , what nationality  was He ? was He a Arabic, culture at the time,  jewish ? Hebrew ,  greek , or something else ?

was Jesus of a dark skin, or white skin, or a brown skin complexion?

was the bible first written in what language to what language  to English,

what language would have Jesus spoken while here walking side by side with man ?

did He come for just one race, or all races  to the jew and the gentile?

just asking, and thank you , and blessings to you all this is for information  ,,or where can we get information or resources to these questions,

thank you  peace,........

You have to remember that the Jews are a bloodline and not necessarily a race. A good example would be to pretend that you are White and you have a son and your son marries a Black woman. Your grandchildren will then be of a mixed race, they will be related to you, be your descendants and carry your genes but they will be a different race to you.

I imagine that most Jews are of Semite race (sort of White but olive-skinned Mediterranean), but there is the odd bit of mixture in there too. I think King Solomon had Black descendants due to one of his marriages.

So it's difficult to know what ethnicity Jesus would have been but it's likely that he was essentially Caucasian, not Black or Oriental. But we can't say for certain because the Bible chooses not to give physical descriptions of people except where appropriate. I don't know why this is but I expect it's to stop us from idolising people.

Can you imagine if somewhere in the OT was a verse saying "...and Moses approached the burning bush, his curly flowing locks blowing in the wind, his handsome blue eyes watering from the heat." If such descriptions were given then it wouldn't be long before a Jew would be saying, "I'm proud of my son. He's tall and strong and looks just like Moses. Maybe one day he will become a great leader too."

Physical descriptions are seriously lacking in the Bible so we haven't a clue what Jesus looked like, nor for that matter, Abraham, Joseph, Ruth, Esther or anybody else. It's somewhat ironic that we know more about the physical appearance of Goliath than we do Jesus, but even so we only know his height which I guess was deemed to be appropriate because he is described as a giant and his height gives us clarification of that.

If we look at modern Jews they are of mixed race but one ethnicity seems to stand out and is the most common. It's a type of White or slightly Arab looking, and it's a good guess that Jesus was probably like that too - similar to what most people in the Middle East look like. He got his genes from Mary of course, because he didn't have a father in the traditional biological sense.

As for the language of Jesus, he would probably have been multilingual. Being divine of course he could probably understand every language but in his human upbringing he would have probably been taught to speak at least two languages, Hebrew and Aramaic. There is a strong possibility that he may also have been able to read and speak another language (Greek maybe?). My knowledge of history is not particularly great here, but would Syriac be a possible option? Maybe somebody else could answer this.