• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  23
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,045
  • Content Per Day:  0.34
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  12/03/1976

50 minutes ago, Steve_S said:

Actually, as far as shifting verbiage, the bible says heart, you are the one saying mind, lol...

that's a noun :)

and i'm not redefining anything at all. "heart" is an English word -- it's a translated thing. the Bible actually says something else: 

Strong's Concordance
leb: inner man, mind, will, heart

Original Word: לֵב
Part of Speech: Noun Masculine
Transliteration: leb
Phonetic Spelling: (labe)
Short Definition: heart

• Group:  Servant
  • Followers:  25
  • Topic Count:  275
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  5,208
  • Content Per Day:  1.00
  • Days Won:  0

6 minutes ago, post said:

that's a noun :)

and i'm not redefining anything at all. "heart" is an English word -- it's a translated thing. the Bible actually says something else: 

Strong's Concordance
leb: inner man, mind, will, heart

Original Word: לֵב
Part of Speech: Noun Masculine
Transliteration: leb
Phonetic Spelling: (labe)
Short Definition: heart

Regardless, it's attempting to overtly change the understanding of a concept by changing the vernacular. I think most people understand just fine the way that the word "heart" is used in the bible. In that way, I'm not even sure what the purpose of this thread is. It mainly just attracts attention based on the title.

Guest Thallasa
On ‎23‎/‎06‎/‎2016 at 9:32 AM, RobertS said:

Sin is not a "mental issue"; it's a spiritual issue.

Yes, sin affects the mind, but it doesn't originate in the mind. Sin is a condition of the heart, and what is in the heart will affect the head. That's why the Lord says in Jeremiah 17:9-10:

“The heart is more deceitful than all else  And is desperately sick; Who can understand it? I, the LORD, search the heart, I test the mind, Even to give to each man according to his ways, According to the results of his deeds." (NASB)

He says first (the heart" then He says "the mind". To put it another way, the words of Jesus:

" Peter said to Him, “Explain the parable to us.” 1esus said, “Are you still lacking in understanding also? Do you not understand that everything that goes into the mouth passes into the stomach, and is eliminated? But the things that proceed out of the mouth come from the heart, and those defile the man. For out of the heart come evil thoughts, murders, adulteries, fornications, thefts, false witness, slanders. These are the things which defile the man; but to eat with unwashed hands does not defile the man.” (Matthew 15: 16-20, NASB, emphasis mine)

The "heart" as referenced in scripture, is not the organ in the chest that pumps blood, but it is the spiritual part of us that has our emotions and desires. It's not a "mental" thing but a spiritual part of us that is very much affected and afflicted with sin. This is the very part that needs to be made new when Jesus saves us and makes us "a new creation".

Now, we can say "mental issues are affected by sin", but to say "everyone has mental issues" is not only insulting those who have been reborn in Christ, but giving an 'easy way out" for anyone else. All they have to say is "I have mental issues" and it's no longer their fault. Repentance, however, requires us to come before the Lord and admit that we have sinned before Him. If we're making excuses, are we truly repentant? Or are we seeking a scapegoat for our actions?

The Lord clarifies where sin comes from:

" Blessed is a man who perseveres under trial; for once he has been approved, he will receive the crown of life which the Lord has promised to those who love Him. Let no one say when he is tempted, “I am being tempted by God”; for God cannot be tempted by evil, and He Himself does not tempt anyone. But each one is tempted when he is carried away and enticed by his own lust. Then when lust has conceived, it gives birth to sin; and when sin is accomplished, it brings forth death. " (James 1:12-15, NASB,emphasis mine)

In any event,  anyone who is truly a new creature in Christ doesn't have mental issues.

Very well put Robert .

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  56
  • Topic Count:  1,664
  • Topics Per Day:  0.20
  • Content Count:  19,764
  • Content Per Day:  2.39
  • Days Won:  28

We all have shortcomings because our flesh is weak,but how more we yield to the Holy Spirit how more we would be able to handle the weaknesses for our flesh is weak but through Him, we are  strong and can we  overcome our temptations and weaknesses.:emot-heartbeat:

As Christians ,we do have to strive to be in Gods present at all time and to be in tune with the Holy Spirit.

(Don't worry , I'm a saint with weaknesses :( ) We have good intention but oh that flesh,especially the mouth :taped:

• Group:  Diamond Member

On 6/24/2016 at 4:58 AM, shiloh357 said:

On 6/24/2016 at 4:51 AM, post said:

look at the definition again. it does not mention "spirit" 

kardia: heart

Original Word: καρδία, ας, ἡ
Part of Speech: Noun, Feminine
Transliteration: kardia
Phonetic Spelling: (kar-dee'-ah)
Short Definition: the heart, inner life, intention
Definition: lit: the heart; mind, character, inner self, will, intention, center.

Word usage is more important than word meaning.

look at the usage again. 

it's used the way it is defined. definition follows from usage as usage follows from definition. 

((notice the Hebrew for heart, a couple posts above, is also used/defined as mind)) 

i'm not "changing" anything. if some people's "vernacular" flows from a wrong usage and a wrong definition, then it needs to be changed, shouldn't it? if a person is "thinking about something wrongly" -- i.e. there is an "issue" with the way their mind processes a thing -- then what, we should accommodate that?? truth not matter? lol. 

i'm using these words the way the scripture uses them, as far as i can tell. Bible dictionaries say heart & mind, and aspects of the subconscious center of will, thought and emotion, are interchangeable terms. 

14 minutes ago, Steve_S said:

I'm not even sure what the purpose of this thread is.

it's been carefully explained more than once. 

honesty. confession & explanation of need.
praise for the One who meets every need; praise for the One who gives every strength; praise for the One who gives understanding; praise for the One by whom all things hold together; Praise for the One without which we would all be corrupt, deceived, descending into madness, futile & vain in our every thought, devoid of understanding and without knowledge. Praise for the One who renews, who restores, who regenerates, who creates, who blesses and brings to life!  

((but you know, other people might have other intents -- just telling you again what this is about. '"believe it or don't!")) ^_^

On 6/23/2016 at 2:07 PM, kwikphilly said:

Declare & Decree what you will,over yourself,,,,,,I DEclare that I was not given a spirit of fear but of a "sound mind",,,,,,,,,That,my friend,is how you "speak" & Honor Gods Truth       We,those indwelled with the Holy Spirit have the Greatest Gift you can ever Receive,,,,,Gods Grace    there is the difference,we Boast for Christ because of what He HAS DONE ,His Finished Work on the Cross,,,,,,,,,,,,by His Stripes,we are HEALED

just name it and claim it, huh? 
everyone is what they speak?  
declare it and it is; don't declare it and it isn't? 

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Followers:  207
  • Topic Count:  60
  • Content Count:  8,651
  • Content Per Day:  1.17
  • Days Won:  4
  • Birthday:  03/04/1943

1 hour ago, post said:

just name it and claim it, huh? 
everyone is what they speak?  
declare it and it is; don't declare it and it isn't?

:emot-heartbeat:

Declare

So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God. Romans 10:17

It

Thy word is true from the beginning: and every one of thy righteous judgments endureth for ever. Psalm 119:160

Or

But what saith it? The word is nigh thee, even in thy mouth, and in thy heart: that is, the word of faith, which we preach;

That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.

For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.

For the scripture saith, Whosoever believeth on him shall not be ashamed. Romans 10:8-11

No

Thy word have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against thee. Psalms 119:11

~

Be Blessed Beloved

And no man hath ascended up to heaven, but he that came down from heaven, even the Son of man which is in heaven.
And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of man be lifted up:
That whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life.
John 3:13-15

Love, Your Brother Joe

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  11
  • Topic Count:  77
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  641
  • Content Per Day:  0.22

St. Paul talks about putting on the Mind of Christ.  So yes, the closer we come to the Lord, the more he lives in us, the more sane we become because we are living a life truly according to God's way.  When we do this, the world will often think us insane and mental.  It is a paradox. 

Only God as revealed in Christ Jesus can be the true center, for out of that comes all love and creativity.  When we believe that we are the center, then truly we are living a lie and that will lead to deeper insanity and death.

Peace
Mark

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  132
  • Content Per Day:  0.05

6 hours ago, Steve_S said:

Actually, as far as shifting verbiage, the bible says heart, you are the one saying mind, lol...

I do believe that the heart of man is the emotional centre. Whether this is centred in the brain or stems from our spiritual man, I don't know. All I know is that in my debates with atheists concerning evidence for God, it is a heart matter not a head matter. Although atheists claim that their rejection for God is intellectual, based on evidence, they reject all evidence for design and evidence against evolution, because of the obvious ramifications.