Just a Mirror

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  385
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  7,692
  • Content Per Day:  1.94
  • Days Won:  3

It came up in Sunday School class last Sunday. Someone in the class said that we are all pastors. She said she was with a friend that needed healing and was upset. She said God directed her to anoint  her with Olive Oil and pray over her. She thought that only pastors could do this. But then she remember reading in the Bible that we who are all followers of Christ are pastors.

8 hours ago, Ezra said:

.  I guess you would not be too happy having an apostle come and preach to you.

I think that was kind of a harsh judgment upon missmuffet. Things are much more complex then they were back when the Christian Church first started. There are things a pastor needs to know today in order to properly work inside a church. One of the things they teach a pastor at "pastor school" is how to deal with people. How to reorganize  people who are suffering from a mental illness and how to help them  As many mental ill people seek out pastors. Pastors do not need to just know and understand the Bible and how to preach. But they also need to know how to  be counselor. Did you know that talking to an ordained pastor has the same legal protection as talking to your lawyer? The court can not force a pastor to disclosed what was said to them the same as they can not force your lawyer to speak against you. There for having a pastor that is  ordained is important.   While it is true that the apostles did not attend "pastor school" because there was no "pastor school" back then, I do think that if there was such a place back then; that the apostles would have attended in order to learn all they could learn about preaching the word. So missmuffet makes a good point. So she should not be jump  on or judge for wanting a pastor that has gone to school   to learn a more effective way of leading a church. A more effective way of speaking to the followers. And legal protection cause you just never know what is going to happen to you in life.

Edited by LadyKay

4 minutes ago, Davida said:

Not sure where it says we are all Pastors. Can you give the scripture?  Pastors= shepherds 

James 5:14-16
"Is any sick among you? let him call for the elders of the church; and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord;
And the prayer of faith shall save the sick, and the Lord shall raise him up; and if he have committed sins they shall be
forgiven him. Confess your faults one to another, and pray one for another, that ye may be healed. The effectual fervent prayer of a
righteous man availeth much."

I can't remember what verse she quoted. I will have to do some googling. I am only repeating what she said. I do not know myself.

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  134
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  8,142
  • Content Per Day:  2.37
  • Days Won:  20

1 hour ago, LadyKay said:

I think that was kind of a harsh judgment upon missmuffet.

Not at all. We can either believe that academic qualifications have nothing to do with the qualifications of pastor/elder/bishop/apostle, or we can disqualify the apostles.

1 hour ago, Ezra said:

we can disqualify the apostles.

In no way was I disqualifying the apostles. You are misreading and twisting my words. I merely gave insight as to how an education can be of benefit to one wanting to going into the pastor hood. 

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,989
  • Topics Per Day:  0.49
  • Content Count:  48,687
  • Content Per Day:  11.89
  • Days Won:  226

8 minutes ago, LadyKay said:

In no way was I disqualifying the apostles. You are misreading and twisting my words. I merely gave insight as to how an education can be of benefit to one wanting to going into the pastor hood. 

The Apostles have nothing to do with the education that a Pastor today should have. If a man is called to God then He should get the education he needs to lead his flock. To be the best Pastor God wants him to be.

1 hour ago, Yowm said:

In many third world countries and in even some Western countries this is simply not the case, the pastor must disclose information or face consequences. Admirably most pastors hold true to their calling and face imprisonment or whatever.

A true pastor does not need the protection of the State to remain faithful unto death, often it's despite the State.

This is false. While there have been stories of some courts punishing pastors for not disclosing things said in personal counsel, those courts were out of line and breaking the law. Yes a pastor would need to be ordained in order to have this legal protection. Much like a marriage license says you are married and gives you legal marriage protections under the law. I know this info from personal experience. With that said, while you are fine with a "pastor" who has not attended a "pastor school", why are you so critical of someone who wishes to have a pastor that has attended school? Making her and myself out to be discrediting the apostles. I do not think that neither one of us is going against nor criticizing the early church or the apostles.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  21
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  237
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  04/27/1974

3 hours ago, LadyKay said:

I think that was kind of a harsh judgment upon missmuffet. Things are much more complex then they were back when the Christian Church first started. There are things a pastor needs to know today in order to properly work inside a church. One of the things they teach a pastor at "pastor school" is how to deal with people. How to reorganize  people who are suffering from a mental illness and how to help them  As many mental ill people seek out pastors. Pastors do not need to just know and understand the Bible and how to preach. But they also need to know how to  be counselor. Did you know that talking to an ordained pastor has the same legal protection as talking to your lawyer? The court can not force a pastor to disclosed what was said to them the same as they can not force your lawyer to speak against you. There for having a pastor that is  ordained is important.   While it is true that the apostles did not attend "pastor school" because there was no "pastor school" back then, I do think that if there was such a place back then; that the apostles would have attended in order to learn all they could learn about preaching the word. So missmuffet makes a good point. So she should not be jump  on or judge for wanting a pastor that has gone to school   to learn a more effective way of leading a church. A more effective way of speaking to the followers. And legal protection cause you just never know what is going to happen to you in life.

Wait, I understand people like to defend honorable men but saying that the Apostles would go to seminary is ridiculous and borders on blasphemy. 

1st Corinthians 1:17 For Christ sent me not to baptize, but to preach the gospel: not with wisdom of words, lest the cross of Christ should be made of none effect.

25 Because the foolishness of God is wiser than men; and the weakness of God is stronger than men.

26 For ye see your calling, brethren, how that not many wise men after the flesh, not many mighty, not many noble, are called:

27But God hath chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise; and God hath chosen the weak things of the world to confound the things which are mighty;

28And base things of the world, and things which are despised, hath God chosen, yea, and things which are not, to bring nought things that are                    29That no flesh should glory in his presence.

Do you see?

God chooses the unlearned that he may glorify Himself in an empty vessel and confound the wisdom of men.

30But of him are ye in Christ Jesus, who of God is made unto us wisdom, and righteousness, and sanctification, and redemption:

31That, according as it is written, He that glorieth, let him glory in the Lord.

Glory to God,  no glory to the wisdom of men.

Peace to you.

Just now, Just a Mirror said:

Wait, I understand people like to defend honorable men but saying that the Apostles would go to seminary is ridiculous and borders on blasphemy. 

Oh great! Now I am being accused of blasphemy. I'm done people. I'm done.

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,989
  • Topics Per Day:  0.49
  • Content Count:  48,687
  • Content Per Day:  11.89
  • Days Won:  226

2 minutes ago, LadyKay said:

Oh great! Now I am being accused of blasphemy. I'm done people. I'm done.

No you are not. We are not talking about the Apostles we are talking about the Pastors of today. Your words are being turned around. Don't let anyone do that.