LadyKay

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  385
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  7,692
  • Content Per Day:  1.92
  • Days Won:  3

This  has come up many times over the years in Sunday sermons. Every so often there will be a popular tv show or a new movie ; and it maybe one that the pastor does not approve of. So the pastor brings it up in their sermon that we should not be watching said tv show or said movie. Sometimes they may even give the reason why. Sometimes they just say it is sinful so don't watch it. Now for those of you on here who do watch tv and may go to the movies once in a while; what if the pastor condemned one of your favorite shows or movies? Even though you do not feel it is wrong to watch this show or movie. Would you stop watching it just because your pastor tells you that you shouldn't watch it?

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.87
  • Content Count:  43,799
  • Content Per Day:  6.19
  • Days Won:  58

I would consider his words and seek the Lord on it. Some things are just plain bad. But some things fall under "for one for whom it is a sin, its a sin". Be prepared if you seek the Lord on it. He may show you the pastor is right.

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  134
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  8,142
  • Content Per Day:  2.34
  • Days Won:  20

46 minutes ago, LadyKay said:

Would you stop watching it just because your pastor tells you that you shouldn't watch it?

Well if the pastor has spiritual discernment and is supposed to watch out for his flock, then that should be reason enough. TV is essentially entertainment, and generally of a very low standard. You could junk 99.9%.

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  87
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  3,795
  • Content Per Day:  1.33
  • Days Won:  3

Take away Cell phones, Ipads, The TV,  Cable,  and the Internet, and suddenly 95% of the world's Christians have no reason to keep breathing.

Just kidding....... Just kidding........

Or, is that you?

Should you ask God to find out?

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  138
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  12/15/1941

As a Minister I would suggest that you pray about it. We are personally responsible for our actions and our walk with the Lord.

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.93
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

I have come to learn that we should never "do as the pastor says just because he says so." An lot of spiritual abuse and churches-becoming-cults happens from this. 

It is good for the pastor to have convictions and share such with his congregation, but such things should not be forced on others to follow. No, I'm not talking about the black-and-white issues such as adultery. But people need to have freedom to seek out on their own what the Lord would have then do in such cases where some feel conviction and some don't.

With the TV issue for example, I myself feel conviction with regards to what filth we allow into our souls via entertainment, and I would encourage anyone to consider this. But there have been times the Lord has spoken to my heart through TV shows and movies. So I know that it is possible for there to be value in such things. 

Thus, I would encourage you to seek the Lord for yourself what would please Him for you to do in this case. If the Lord wants you to give up the show, I believe He will grant you the conviction and the grace to depart from it. If not, feel comforted that your pastor is after all just a man with his own walk with God and his own shortcomings, and although he is a leader to you, he isn't your overlord.

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,994
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,692
  • Content Per Day:  11.74
  • Days Won:  226

We live in a corrupt and evil world. Before you turn on that television set look at these verses:

2 Timothy 3:1-5 But know this, that in the last days perilous times will come: For men will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy, unloving, unforgiving, slanderers, without self-control, brutal, despisers of good, traitors, headstrong, haughty, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God, having a form of godliness but denying its power. And from such people turn away!

2 Timothy 4:3-4  For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine, but according to their own desires, because they have itching ears, they will heap up for themselves teachers; and they will turn their ears away from the truth, and be turned aside to fables.

1 Corinthians 10:31 Therefore, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God.

Matthew 6:22-23  “The lamp of the body is the eye. If therefore your eye is good, your whole body will be full of light. 23 But if your eye is bad, your whole body will be full of darkness. If therefore the light that is in you is darkness, how great is that darkness!

Romans 12:2  And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.

1 Thessalonians 5:21-22 Test all things; hold fast what is good. 22 Abstain from every form of evil.

Then if you feel led to turn on that television or watch that movie that is your choice.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  235
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  01/01/1973

On 8/1/2016 at 8:10 PM, LadyKay said:

This  has come up many times over the years in Sunday sermons. Every so often there will be a popular tv show or a new movie ; and it maybe one that the pastor does not approve of. So the pastor brings it up in their sermon that we should not be watching said tv show or said movie. Sometimes they may even give the reason why. Sometimes they just say it is sinful so don't watch it. Now for those of you on here who do watch tv and may go to the movies once in a while; what if the pastor condemned one of your favorite shows or movies? Even though you do not feel it is wrong to watch this show or movie. Would you stop watching it just because your pastor tells you that you shouldn't watch it?

The question is, are you prepared to submit to your eldership or not?

• Group:  Royal Member *
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  91
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  10,596
  • Content Per Day:  3.66
  • Days Won:  25

On 8/1/2016 at 2:10 PM, LadyKay said:

I would never do anything just because my pastor told me to, this is one of the reasons I no longer have a pastor.   Too many pastors misunderstand their role.