creativemechanic

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  414
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  1,273
  • Content Per Day:  0.36
  • Days Won:  0

During my sunday school class we were discussing raising your children in a christian manner. Oe person who was raised in church said that alot of times, young people with talent (singing, music etc) go out into the world and use their talents for non -christian mediums (sing non gospel music etc) because their talents are stifled in the church environment etc possibly due to the restrictions that churches will have.

Do you think this is true?

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  28
  • Topic Count:  338
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  15,710
  • Content Per Day:  2.46
  • Days Won:  39
  • Birthday:  02/27/1985

I'm sure in some cases they are....I've seen it...I've also seen the opposite. Depends on the church. But on the same note even when it is true, some fault still lies on the musician, he or she can choose to go to a church that doesn't stifle it, or they can choose to use their gift to witness to the lost, like many do.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  385
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  7,692
  • Content Per Day:  1.93
  • Days Won:  3

56 minutes ago, creativemechanic said:

go out into the world and use their talents for non -christian mediums

You know. Sometimes being a Christian but not having your music label as "Christian Music" could actually reach more people for Christ. Depending on your lyrics of cores and what you sing about. Because when you label your music as "Christian Music", it seems that only Christians will buy it. The rest of the world will ignore it. I listen to a lot of music. Both Christian and worldly. There are a few groups that do not label their band or music as "Christian music". But if you really look at the lyrics they sing, you can tell that a lot of their music is Christian based. 

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  25
  • Topic Count:  41
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  726
  • Content Per Day:  0.14
  • Birthday:  12/30/1974

I think it was the lead singer of The Fray that talked about this.  He brought up the analogy of a painter.  If a painter is a Christian, that doesn't mean that he can only draw pictures of Jesus or something like that.  So why should Christian musicians be any different?  Many of the "true" country and western singers came from Christian roots.

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Topic Count:  87
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  3,795
  • Content Per Day:  1.34

"""In the world but not of the world."""

There is the line.

So, a Christian who wants to use their God given talent to sing to the secular world, needs to at the same time maintain their witness and their holy lifestyle.

Not many do it.

Can you think of even one?

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  28
  • Topic Count:  338
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  15,710
  • Content Per Day:  2.46
  • Days Won:  39
  • Birthday:  02/27/1985

27 minutes ago, Behold said:

"""In the world but not of the world."""

There is the line.

So, a Christian who wants to use their God given talent to sing to the secular world, needs to at the same time maintain their witness and their holy lifestyle.

Not many do it.

Can you think of even one?

John Cooper, Michael Barnes, Joseph Rojas, Mark Hall, jason Roy, Jon Foreman. I can go on for a long time.

Now, these are all lead singers from popular bands, all are popular, all live a good christian walk, and at least 2 have had their songs on both christian and secular charts. If you cant figure them out, let me know.

2 hours ago, The_Patriot2016 said:

John Cooper, Michael Barnes, Joseph Rojas, Mark Hall, jason Roy, Jon Foreman. I can go on for a long time.

Now, these are all lead singers from popular bands, all are popular, all live a good christian walk, and at least 2 have had their songs on both christian and secular charts. If you cant figure them out, let me know.

I appreciate the needless sarcasm, and bless you back, brother.

However, Jon Formeman's lyrics are usually distinctively Christian, ....as a matter of fact, this video ill post is one of my favorites...

The other's you listed, i have to honestly say ive never heard of any of them.., but i'll check them out.

thx.

You might be interested to know that among other things, im a pro-musician, and most of what i write is "christian", the other is symphonic.

-----

Edited by George
Removed Video from Post / Reposted Video in the Videos Section / Added the Christian Video Link

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  281
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Days Won:  1

2 hours ago, creativemechanic said:

During my sunday school class we were discussing raising your children in a christian manner. Oe person who was raised in church said that alot of times, young people with talent (singing, music etc) go out into the world and use their talents for non -christian mediums (sing non gospel music etc) because their talents are stifled in the church environment etc possibly due to the restrictions that churches will have.

Do you think this is true?

yuk

Nat King Cole

Elvis Presley

Michael Jackson

Whitney Houston

are just a few such folk who began in church

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  4,058
  • Content Per Day:  14.92

35 minutes ago, The_Patriot2016 said:

I was a fan of Switchfoot (lead singer/writer Jon Foreman) long before I knew he was a Christian.  Switchfoot was definitely on both secular and Christian radio stations at the same time.  Dan Haseltine, lead singer of Jars of Clay was probably on both secular and Christian radio stations at the same time too.  Not so sure about Mark Hall of Casting Crowns and Jason Roy of Building 429 though.  I'm not fond of John Cooper's voice of Skillet but he could be the other one from your list.  I like Joseph Rojas voice better, lead singer of Seventh Day Slumber.  I like Red's first album better than the second (Michael Barnes lead singer), but that's just me.  I have a few CDs of all the folks mentioned.

1 hour ago, Saved.One.by.Grace said:

I was a fan of Switchfoot (lead singer/writer Jon Foreman) long before I knew he was a Christian.  Switchfoot was definitely on both secular and Christian radio stations at the same time.  Dan Haseltine, lead singer of Jars of Clay was probably on both secular and Christian radio stations at the same time too.  Not so sure about Mark Hall of Casting Crowns and Jason Roy of Building 429 though.  I'm not fond of John Cooper's voice of Skillet but he could be the other one from your list.  I like Joseph Rojas voice better, lead singer of Seventh Day Slumber.  I like Red's first album better than the second (Michael Barnes lead singer), but that's just me.  I have a few CDs of all the folks mentioned.

This.....

------

Edited by George
Removed Video from Post / Reposted Video in the Videos Section / Added the Christian Video Link