• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  87
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  6,872
  • Content Per Day:  2.42
  • Days Won:  4
  • Birthday:  11/10/1986

Welcome to Worthy! We're all quite glad to make your acquaintance! Feel free to ask any questions you have. God bless!

• Group:  Seeker
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  7
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  01/07/1999

On Thursday, August 18, 2016 at 2:45 PM, Giller said:

Do you know how to get saved , and what walking by faith is ?

I only know the first part 

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  134
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  8,142
  • Content Per Day:  2.35
  • Days Won:  20

On 8/18/2016 at 11:10 AM, ScarletStormBreaker said:

I have a Bible, it's the New Kings James Version in hardcover with big font. I also have an app that has an audio version of the Bible built in. But, I am having some trouble understanding it on my own. 

SSB Welcome,

Something that should be understood from the outset is that without the Holy Spirit within you, you will have trouble understanding the Bible.  

So the primary thing is to believe that the Lord Jesus Christ died for your sins (as well as the sins of the whole world), and rose again to set you free from the power of sin, and Hell, and death, and Satan. Those who repent and believe receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  21
  • Topic Count:  129
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,801
  • Content Per Day:  0.23

1 hour ago, Ezra said:

SSB Welcome,

Something that should be understood from the outset is that without the Holy Spirit within you, you will have trouble understanding the Bible.  

So the primary thing is to believe that the Lord Jesus Christ died for your sins (as well as the sins of the whole world), and rose again to set you free from the power of sin, and Hell, and death, and Satan. Those who repent and believe receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.

True, some things will only be understood through the Spirit. I remember before I was saved seeing those bumper stickers, "Let Go and Let God." I thought they were the stupidest bumper stickers ever because I didn't "get it." I didn't understand what to let go of nor what to let God do. Then I got saved and was like, "OOHHH!!! NOW I get it!"

In the Bible, there will be things that just don't make complete sense until you do have that spiritual connection. (Kind of like in the body, messages from one neuron to the other neuron won't get across without a neurotransmitter carrying the message across the gap/synapse... going from sinner to forgiven, the cross bridges that gap and the Holy Spirit brings understanding.) However, you don't have to have everything figured out before you get saved... Jesus died on the cross to make salvation free and simple for us; it's "us" who complicate it. Of first importance is understanding that each of us is a sinner in need of a Saviour. Then, what we couldn't understand apart from God, we begin to grow and understand (a lifelong process), and as we learn, we also begin to trust Him on the things we do not understand because we start to experience His unfailing love and trustworthiness.

You said you understand how to be saved, so what is holding you back from believing with your heart instead of just your head? Are there specific questions you want answers to first?

• Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  186
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,242
  • Content Per Day:  3.33
  • Days Won:  30

Repent just means to agree with God that some of the stuff you have done is wrong and needs God's forgiveness as well, possibly, as His help to stop doing them.  Receiving Jesus' death on the cross as payment for your sins is the means that God provided for you to be forgiven.  

I read New King James as well.  It is usually recommended that people start reading in the New Testament, and especially in the Gospel of John, the 4th book of the New Testament.  

It starts by talking about creation, and how God existed before creation and also created the universe and all that is in it.  It speaks of Someone call the Word Who also is God and Who created everything.  They existed together in the beginning.  It goes on to say that the Word became flesh and dwelt among us.  This is talking about Jesus who preexisted with God in the beginning but He had not been named Jesus till He was born as a human into a Hebrew family.  

Do make a habit of praying and asking God to help you understand His Word, as well as to know Him better.  My first prayer as a teen aged girl was "God, if there is a God, please help me to see your power in the beauty of Your creation again.  It was during a thunder storm when even the streetlights had gone out and the lightning revealed the giant trees bending and leaves being whipped around my second story bedroom window.  It was beautiful, and I became aware that there had to be a Creator of all this. My prayer was answered immediately and many times over as I also started thinking about the laws of probability of that happening.  God is so good and makes every effort to form a one on one relationship with us--unique to each of us.  Just ask Him.

• Group:  Seeker
  • Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  7
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Birthday:  01/07/1999

5 hours ago, seraph said:

True, some things will only be understood through the Spirit. I remember before I was saved seeing those bumper stickers, "Let Go and Let God." I thought they were the stupidest bumper stickers ever because I didn't "get it." I didn't understand what to let go of nor what to let God do. Then I got saved and was like, "OOHHH!!! NOW I get it!"

In the Bible, there will be things that just don't make complete sense until you do have that spiritual connection. (Kind of like in the body, messages from one neuron to the other neuron won't get across without a neurotransmitter carrying the message across the gap/synapse... going from sinner to forgiven, the cross bridges that gap and the Holy Spirit brings understanding.) However, you don't have to have everything figured out before you get saved... Jesus died on the cross to make salvation free and simple for us; it's "us" who complicate it. Of first importance is understanding that each of us is a sinner in need of a Saviour. Then, what we couldn't understand apart from God, we begin to grow and understand (a lifelong process), and as we learn, we also begin to trust Him on the things we do not understand because we start to experience His unfailing love and trustworthiness.

You said you understand how to be saved, so what is holding you back from believing with your heart instead of just your head? Are there specific questions you want answers to first?

My reason for not becoming saved is kind of hard to explain in a forum or chat room. If you want to hear about that I'll give you my email. 

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  87
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  6,872
  • Content Per Day:  2.42
  • Days Won:  4
  • Birthday:  11/10/1986

6 hours ago, ScarletStormBreaker said:

My reason for not becoming saved is kind of hard to explain in a forum or chat room. If you want to hear about that I'll give you my email. 

This board has a private message function; just click a member's avatar to go to their profile, and click the "Message" button next to their name. I'd love to hear more in-depth from you about your reasons and questions, feel free to shoot me a message if you so desire, and that would be an easier way for you to communicate!

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  151
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  3,149
  • Content Per Day:  1.05

On 18/08/2016 at 6:10 PM, ScarletStormBreaker said:

I have a Bible, it's the New Kings James Version in hardcover with big font. I also have an app that has an audio version of the Bible built in. But, I am having some trouble understanding it on my own. 

welcome to the forum!

yes for the longest time i was frustrated with understanding as i dont find it easy to process information and so i have had to be creative in order to learn and hopefully understand, i started watching bible films on you-tube but i decided to try and avoid the Hollywood woeful productions. hum let me see if i can find the list as it is best to be discerning what you watch. and for me i would go and look at the bible to check that it is not pure fabrication (Hollywood). that in itself motivated me to read the bible before watching a biblical film say about Ruth. just remember films wont be fully accurate- but for me it was a good way in to the bible as it started to give me a better feel for it.  it is very good to do your own reading along with fellowshiping. 

yes i also have the mp3 version. also i found looking at different bibles gives me more depth.

i wish you well on your journey with the bible ah yes what got me started was a daily bible as it gave me a mix of Old testament and New testament each day. as i was/am hungry to know both the Old as well as the New testament.

have just found this and it looks OK the link is The Bible Ep. 1 - In the Beginning (cut and paste onto you tube) this is about Abraham's story. there a 10 parts in total i think. that takes you through the bible. best not to get tempted at the documentaries. just the bible pure and simple.

Edited by existential mabel

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Content Count:  90
  • Content Per Day:  0.02

scarlet it is wonderful that you are seeking the Lord for before you started wondering and being curious about HIm... He had already found you. like someone here suggested, do get yourself a good bible and read and read and read and ask the Lord to help you understand and He will give you understanding into those things that are due for you to know. feel free to email me as well my email is on my profile. very nice to meet you. :)

• Followers:  23
  • Topic Count:  155
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  7,464
  • Content Per Day:  1.02
  • Days Won:  57
  • Birthday:  12/12/1952

On 8/18/2016 at 1:18 PM, ScarletStormBreaker said:

Thank you, so far my experience with this site has been good. 

What we want to share with you Scarlet is that God loves you totally.  He loves you so much that He sent His Son to die for you on a cross so that you may have your sins forgiven.  When you accept Jesus into your life and your Lord and Savior you become a true Child of God.  He made it so simple for people like us.  

Keep coming here and ask whatever you want, we are thrilled to be able to share our Jesus with you.

Blessings, RustyAngeL