Flsnookman

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  423
  • Content Per Day:  0.15
  • Days Won:  1

He didn't, If you mean by hell the place of the damned. There would have been no purpose in his going there.

The Apostles’ Creed contains this line in Latin: descendit ad inferos. In older English translations the word inferos was rendered as "hell," but it was understood not to mean the place of the damned. The term actually refers to "those below"—that is, to the dead. It thus signified that he descended to visit the just who died in pre-Christian times and were waiting for heaven to be opened to them. This place is commonly called the limbo of the Fathers.

Jesus referred to this place when he said, "As Jonah was in the whale’s belly for three days and three nights, so shall the Son of Man be in the heart of the Earth three days and three nights" (Mt 12:40).

The expression "heart of the Earth" doesn’t mean the grave, but the underworld, what the Jews called sheol, which was thought to be located at the center of the Earth. Sheol wasn’t a place of the damned but a place of departed souls both good and bad. It appears from the parable of Lazarus and the rich man (Lk 16:19-31) that there was a place within sheol where the wicked were punished and another place where the righteous awaiting heaven were comforted. Jesus went to the latter.

Peace

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  134
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  8,142
  • Content Per Day:  2.34
  • Days Won:  20

2 hours ago, Bible_Gazer said:

Don't see it that way.

I believe he is talking about him coming down to earth first, then ascended up where he came from.

Well, the "lower parts of the earth" are beneath the earth, and that is where Sheol/Hades is located.  Read Christ's statements about Jonah and Himself.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  450
  • Content Per Day:  0.11

Just curious 

The underworld, somewhere inside of the earth ?

Is it near the bottomless pit ? or the fiery pit ? 

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,994
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,692
  • Content Per Day:  11.75
  • Days Won:  226

11 minutes ago, Ezra said:

Well, the "lower parts of the earth" are beneath the earth, and that is where Sheol/Hades is located.  Read Christ's statements about Jonah and Himself.

That is not necessarily where Sheol/Hades is located.

Question: "Where is hell? What is the location of hell?"

Answer:
Various theories on the location of hell have been put forward. A traditional view is that hell is in the center of the earth. Others propose that hell is located in outer space in a black hole. In the Old Testament, the word translated “hell” is Sheol; in the New Testament, it’s Hades (meaning “unseen”) and Gehenna (“the Valley of Hinnom”). Sheol is also translated as “pit” and “grave.” Both Sheol and Hades refer to a temporary abode of the dead before judgment (Psalm 9:17; Revelation 1:18). Gehenna refers to an eternal state of punishment for the wicked dead (Mark 9:43).

The idea that hell is below us, perhaps in the center of the earth, comes from passages such as Luke 10:15: “And thou, Capernaum, which art exalted to heaven, shalt be thrust down to hell” (KJV). Also, in 1 Samuel 28:13-15, the medium of Endor sees the spirit of Samuel “coming up out of the ground.” We should note, however, that neither of these passages is concerned with the geographic location of hell. Capernaum’s being thrust “down” is probably a reference to their being condemned rather than a physical direction. And the medium’s vision of Samuel was just that: a vision.

In the King James Version, Ephesians 4:9 says that before Jesus ascended into heaven, “he also descended . . . into the lower parts of the earth.” Some Christians take “the lower parts of the earth” as a reference to hell, where they say Jesus spent the time between His death and resurrection. However, the New International Version gives a better translation: “he also descended to the lower, earthly regions.” This verse simply says that Jesus came to earth. It’s a reference to His incarnation, not to His location after death.

The notion that hell is somewhere in outer space, possibly in a black hole, is based on the knowledge that black holes are places of great heat and pressure from which nothing, not even light, can escape. Surprisingly, this concept of hell is presented in the 1979 Walt Disney film The Black Hole. Near the movie’s end, all the characters pass through a black hole. On the other side, the villain finds himself in a fiery place of torment, while the other characters enjoy disembodied bliss. It’s interesting that a Disney movie would include a depiction of hell, but it’s best not to base our theology on movies!

Another speculation is that the earth itself will be the “lake of fire” spoken of in Revelation 20:10-15. When the earth is destroyed by fire (2 Peter 3:10; Revelation 21:1), the theory goes, God will use that burning sphere as the everlasting place of torment for the ungodly. Again, this is mere speculation.

To sum up, Scripture does not tell us the geological (or cosmological) location of hell. Hell is a literal place of real torment, but we do not know where it is. Hell may have a physical location in this universe, or it may be in an entirely different “dimension.” Whatever the case, the location of hell is far less important than the need to avoid going there.

http://www.gotquestions.org/where-is-hell.html

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  450
  • Content Per Day:  0.11

7 minutes ago, Ezra said:

Psalm 139:14-15
14  I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made: marvellous are thy works; and that my soul knoweth right well.
15  My substance was not hid from thee, when I was made in secret, and curiously wrought in the lowest parts of the earth.

Was this person created below the earth ?

2 hours ago, missmuffet said:

That is not necessarily where Sheol/Hades is located.

If you want to argue with the Lord, go ahead.  But Christ makes it clear that Sheol/Hades in "the heart of the earth" which is the same as "the lower parts of the earth".

For as Jonas was three days and three nights in the whale's belly; so shall the Son of man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth. (Mt 12:40).

To sum up, Scripture does not tell us the geological (or cosmological) location of hell.

Hell (the Lake of Fire) is in "outer darkness" which could well imply outside of the space/time continuum.  So Scripture does tell us where it is.

But Hell is not Hades, which is in the heart of the earth, or as we would say, the core of the earth, and as Paul says "the lower parts of the earth".

10 minutes ago, Ezra said:

If you want to argue with the Lord, go ahead.  But Christ makes it clear that Sheol/Hades in "the heart of the earth" which is the same as "the lower parts of the earth".

For as Jonas was three days and three nights in the whale's belly; so shall the Son of man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth. (Mt 12:40).

I am not arguing with the Lord. I think the "Got Questions" explanation is Biblical.

10 minutes ago, Ezra said:

Hell (the Lake of Fire) is in "outer darkness" which could well imply outside of the space/time continuum.  So Scripture does tell us where it is.

But Hell is not Hades, which is in the heart of the earth, or as we would say, the core of the earth, and as Paul says "the lower parts of the earth".

I understand that Hades and Hell are two different place. I understand that Hell is no occupied at this time. I do know that at the end of the 1000 year millennium Hades will give up its dead and those dead will be judged at the Great White Throne judgment. They will all be thrown into hell. There will be no escape. But because if this verse Revelation 20:12 I think that everyone will not suffer the same punishment in hell.Just like their are different reward in heaven. It is all very, very bad do not get me wrong. But perhaps the little ole grandma who was a kind lady all her life and gave much to many but was not a believer will get a different punishment than Hitler.

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  7,894
  • Content Per Day:  2.41
  • Days Won:  3

I understand that Hades and Hell are two different place.

This is not the belief of the disciples before they met Jesus Christ, or what the Jews understood.

The Jews believed, the same thing as the disciples at the time when they met Jesus.

They believe that as it was on earth, so it was in the underworld.

On earth God separated them from the rest of the world, and he gave them as being his children his own Land to live in. 

And the same thing at time of death God gave them their own place, call,"the BOSSOM or ABRAHAM ", as their inheritance, which place was also in HADES, but it was only for them, And they were seperated from the rest of mankind ,whether they lived or die.   

For there was only one inheritance for all mankind before Jesus Christ, only one, the inheritance of the fallen humanity.

For the whole world, (mankind), was prisoner by they one who Adam and Eve had obey in the Garden. 

The spiritual inheritance of Adam was the spiritual inheritance of the Devil. 

So this was the spiritual inheritance for mankind, "HADES". 

All Humanity belonged  to the Devil, till the time the Lord God created a new family for himself on Earth, that belong to him and not to the Devil, from Abraham and Isaak and Jacob and his family. 

But this Nation of God had a spiritual inheritance that was also in Hades, but the place where they went it was only for them, because they were the people of the Lord God and they were seperated from the rest of the world. 

In other worlds, because Abraham and his children they could not be with their Lord God, even thought they were his people, God gave Abraham his own Spiritual Inheritance which was a seperated place in HADES which was called the Bossom of Abraham. 

There they were waiting for their Lord God to come as the Christ and be the children of the Christ and follow him to their new spiritual inheritance, the Heavenly inheritance. 

When Jesus Christ went to Hades after his death, he did not stoped at the Bossom of Abraham, because he had died for all, he went and preaced the Gospel to everyone who had die before him.

And what do you thing happen to those who believed, and had inherited Heavens together with Jesus. .

Did they go home to their Heavenly inheritance to be with God? 

Did Jesus Christ go home to his Heavenly inheritance to be with God? 

By believing that Jesus had die for them, they also received forgiveness of sins, by faith alone, as they were out of their body , and the eternal life. 

And as when the Devil fall from Heaven to his new inheritance, his was not alone, but he took with him his own angels , and the same with Jesus Christ when he ascended from Hades he did not ascended alone to his new inheritance , but he took with him, all the people who had believed in him. And called by his name. 

I understand that Hell is no occupied at this time. I do know that at the end of the 1000 year millennium Hades will give up its dead and those dead will be judged at the Great White Throne judgment. They will all be thrown into hell. There will be no escape. But because if this verse Revelation 20:12 I think that everyone will not suffer the same punishment in hell.Just like their are different reward in heaven. It is all very, very bad do not get me wrong. But perhaps the little ole grandma who was a kind lady all her life and gave much to many but was not a believer will get a different punishment than Hitler.