• Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  100
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,029
  • Content Per Day:  0.15
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  02/23/1982

2 hours ago, Openly Curious said:

As a Christian I can only speak for myself as I could but would not own a liquor store.  My conscious would not allow me to do so as I know the damage alcohol can and does do to others and I want contribute to the harm of others by something I choose to sell.  I wouldn't know from bottle to bottle if a person would be responsible, if a person would drive drunk and kill themselves or kill others driving drunk, if a person would knife another etc., I just don't want something as selling liquor to be on my conscious if others are hurt or harmed in any way and I already know they will be.  

Selling liquor wouldn't justify taking the profits from the sell of liquor to spread the gospel.  The gospel is suppose to be the good news of salvation.  Where is the good news to all those who will be hurt from not drinking responsible should they choose to drive drunk and people are killed as a result of me selling them liquor?  

As a Christian we are suppose to shun even the appearance of evil.  Selling liquor would cause people to question my sincerity with God and my testimony would be tainted which I don't want as I want others to see Christ in me a living espistle.  Paul said "follow me as I follow Christ"  I personally don't want others to follow me into a liquor store I owned.  Just couldn't do it. 

Thanks OC,

I appreciate your response 

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  55
  • Content Count:  4,568
  • Content Per Day:  0.68

For me the conviction would carry over in such a scenario.  

If the franchise of Longhorns made me sell liquor or I couldn't be part of the franchise then I would say good riddance.   

Even though a restaurant has more control over the amount of alcohol sold to individuals I still wouldn't know how the alcohol effects each individual person.

If a person has a conscious over something then they can't go against their conscious to do so would be sinning to the individual person.   When it comes to matters of personal conscious, there are quote No - "where does one draw the line".  

Selling alcohol is no different as having a conscious to worship God on a Saturday or Sunday or abstaining from eating certain meats and the such like things.

I personally do not have to give account for another persons conscious but I do have to answer for my own conscious toward others and toward God.

To defile one's own conscious by going against the conviction of their own heart is to sin in God's eyes.   

Curious are you considering purchasing a liquor store or a restaurant that sells alcohol?

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  100
  • Content Count:  1,029
  • Content Per Day:  0.15
  • Birthday:  02/23/1982

8 hours ago, Openly Curious said:

For me the conviction would carry over in such a scenario.  

If the franchise of Longhorns made me sell liquor or I couldn't be part of the franchise then I would say good riddance.   

Even though a restaurant has more control over the amount of alcohol sold to individuals I still wouldn't know how the alcohol effects each individual person.

If a person has a conscious over something then they can't go against their conscious to do so would be sinning to the individual person.   When it comes to matters of personal conscious, there are quote No - "where does one draw the line".  

Selling alcohol is no different as having a conscious to worship God on a Saturday or Sunday or abstaining from eating certain meats and the such like things.

I personally do not have to give account for another persons conscious but I do have to answer for my own conscious toward others and toward God.

To defile one's own conscious by going against the conviction of their own heart is to sin in God's eyes.   

Curious are you considering purchasing a liquor store or a restaurant that sells alcohol?

Hardly...lol I just like asking questions that pop into my head based off of conversations at work or things I may hear on the radio etc.  One of the conditions of membership in the sda church  in our baptismal vows is to abstain from the production, sale or use of alcohol, tobacco, any other harmful drugs or substances. 

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Content Count:  2,491
  • Content Per Day:  0.54
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  02/02/1971

13 hours ago, Remnantrob said:

Out of the Shadows' question is starting to ring louder in my head. Where does one draw the line because let's say I have an opportunity to purchase a franchise like Longhorns where the food is great but there is also a bar that sells liquor. Does the conviction not to own a liquor store carry over because of a "small" part of the business?

What if the only job in town available was driving the truck that hauls the grain to be processed into alcohol?  What if I'm a mechanic and this same truck comes in for repairs, should I refuse to work on it?  Where indeed does one draw the line?

I find it interesting that Jesus had a centurion come to Him, a man with soldiers under him:

Matthew 8:9-10 For I am a man under authority, having soldiers under me: and I say to this man, Go, and he goeth; and to another, Come, and he cometh; and to my servant, Do this, and he doeth it.

10 When Jesus heard it, he marvelled, and said to them that followed, Verily I say unto you, I have not found so great faith, no, not in Israel.

And Jesus healed his servant!  Was Jesus concerned about the centurion performing his occupation and killing people?  Or whether the centurion was fair to his servants?   Jesus marveled at his faith!  Why do we immediately want to judge everyone by their place, if they own a liquor store, why it might contribute to someone's alcoholism.  What about working at Mcdonalds then, as it can contribute to gluttony, or poor health of someone who eats there.  Now we know, we can find no true christian owning or working in any establishment with alcohol, or in any fast food franchise, or any place that contributes to supplying products to these places, and surely no farmer could be a christian and sell his products to these same places.  What about the other end of the product trail, can a garbage truck worker be a true christian and pick up garbage at such corrupted places?  Where do you want to draw the line on all these judgmental attitudes?  Jesus talked about the FAITH of the centurion!  

Alcohol even had a great purpose when Jesus walked the earth, it was used to make water safe to drink.  Anything can be wrong in an excess, too much alcohol, too much food, too much idleness, too much busyness.  How is your FAITH?  

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  138
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Birthday:  12/15/1941

On 11/10/2016 at 7:18 AM, Remnantrob said:

Can a Christian own a liquor store?  Why or why not?

I will not judge another Christian. Our walk with Jesus is a one on one relationship. Their are Christians that do way worse than owning a liquor store. I have never met a perfect Christian, how ever, I have met some that think they are. Have a nice day.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  11
  • Topic Count:  77
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  641
  • Content Per Day:  0.22

On 11/10/2016 at 10:05 AM, Yowm said:

I suppose it is redeemable if it is actually a missionary post disguised as a liquor store.

:o:mellow:;):laugh: