• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  134
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  8,142
  • Content Per Day:  2.35
  • Days Won:  20

4 hours ago, shiloh357 said:

What kind are those?

The kind that track your every keystroke. ;)

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.76
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.95
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

I like Christmas because it's a break from the norm - decorations, parties, door decorating, etc. - the lights are pretty, it's a stimulus for having a visit from my mom and having a family celebration together, and last but not least a time to reflect on the Incarnation.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  23
  • Topic Count:  155
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  7,464
  • Content Per Day:  1.02
  • Days Won:  57
  • Birthday:  12/12/1952

7 hours ago, LadyKay said:

Here we go! Been waiting for it! 

Me too.  

32 minutes ago, Ezra said:

The kind that track your every keystroke. ;)

I want to know what kind of cookies they are too. I want then to go along with my favorite ice cream that I allow myself twice a year.... Sea Salt Caramel with truffles.

8 hours ago, shiloh357 said:

It had to start somewhere.  All we need now is the WBs Christmas Tree, cookies and hot chocolate!  LOL

And our ugly Christmas sweaters.  :P

Yeah what is up with those sweaters?

2 hours ago, Yowm said:

Gee, that sure came out of nowhere. Who did I seriously blame?

Luther is blamed for the  Christmas tree-I did not blame him.

Dec 25th  remark was a joke...you know, something that is supposed to be funny.

So it wasn't funny, that doesn't mean I am trying to take the joy out of Christmas.

Who said I don't want anything to do with Christmas? I celebrate the Incarnation at this time of year like other Christians.

Your post is either full of false assumptions or you accidentally replied to the wrong person!

Sorry, I got no sleep last night guess I was touchy...

8 hours ago, shiloh357 said:

It’s generally accepted that early Christians adopted December 25th as the day of Christ’s birth to co-opt the pagan celebration of the winter solstice. Some believe this fact undermines Christianity.

But according to Professor William Tighe, this “fact” may actually be a myth.

http://www.intellectualtakeout.org/blog/myth-pagan-origins-christmas

I took the article the wrong way.

• Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.88
  • Content Count:  43,795
  • Content Per Day:  6.21
  • Days Won:  58

5 hours ago, shiloh357 said:

What kind are those?

Archway gingerbread men, the soft ones not the hard ones. Its only for Christmas and they tend to be hard to find. I missed out 2 yrs in a row.

Its the second from the left in the photo on this page.

http://archwaycookies.com/holiday

Guest shiloh357

The whole "pagan origins of Christmas"  really is a myth.    You cannot find one of our traditions that goes back to ancient times.   The Christmas tree, for example, finds its origin in 15th century Europe, not in Jeremiah 10.  

The authors that claim it goes back to ancient Babylon have produced no archeological evidence for that fact.

It's the same myths that surround every other aspect of Jesus' life.  There are all kinds of claims that the life of Jesus is a "copy cat" of pagan mythology.  They claim that the Gospel accounts of Jesus' birth, death and resurrection are just a rehash of ancient Babylonian, Egyptian, Syrian and Greco-Roman paganism.   The Mithra/sun god story is supposed to be what the first disciples used as a template to write the Gospels.

So, the whole "Christmas is pagan"  argument is really part of a greater, more expansive, secular attempt to delegitimize the Gospel.   And sadly most Christians have, in a misguided attempt to be biblically pure, bought into the secular attempt to make Jesus' life and ministry nothing more than warmed over pagan mythology.

How many non-Christians could potentially look at that argument and use that as a reason to disregard Jesus, assuming that his birth and life/ministry/death/resurrection is just a retelling of a pagan myth and nothing more?  And how many Christians unwittingly facilitated that?

• Followers:  56
  • Topic Count:  1,664
  • Topics Per Day:  0.20
  • Content Count:  19,764
  • Content Per Day:  2.39
  • Days Won:  28

4 hours ago, eileenhat said:

OK.  So let me tell you how Christmas went for me.

I always felt unhappy with this Holiday.  Expectation followed by disappointment, year after year. Eventually relatives stopped exchanging gifts, but I kept at it for 'tradition sake' and sanity (as where I live, ie. with relatives, it is a must to buy gifts, whether I have the money isn't cared about).

I have seen videos now documenting it's origins, all pagan fyi, and know the Holiday has zero to do with the God of Abraham and everything to do with Nimrod.

But still, I kept participating.

Then last week it hit a snag.

I have found, since last Christmas, I've developed an allergy to pine Trees and realized I have to move out while a cut one stayed in the house where I lived.

I became frantic to change the owners (relatives) mind, but to no avail.  They were very firm.  There would always be a Tree, allergy or no allergy.

I began praying in earnest.  I did not see being homeless as a viable alternative due to my many disabilities.  I knew I couldn't survive it (truly).

Finally I began to break down and despair.

God reached down then and told me to take a vow to never ever give gifts again and to not partake of any feast, regarding this pagan day of worship.

I agreed (astoundingly) and the very next day I was told there would be no tree this year, period.

No fuss, no complaint, just....ok.  no problem.  What a 180 degree turn about.  God answered my prayers.  

So....my answer is Christmas is a wicked day.  Worse than Halloween to partake in.

Eileen, everyday is a gift from God and we should be thankful if we wake up in the morning, why judge days wicked?

God is looking at the heart, if you are a born again Christian and give a gift with Christmas or have a tree in your house,it does not make the day wicked and it does not make you wicked.

Glorify God like you do every other day , there is so much to be thankful for then to worry about wicked days..