IGNORED

Why is speaking in tounges controversal?

Heavenunlimited

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  100
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  41,158
  • Content Per Day:  7.98
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

Bottom line for me Scripture is given to test the spirits... tongues evades the use of Scripture to determine the spirit!

• Group:  Seventh Day Adventist
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  281
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Days Won:  0

Hi Spoke,

I think one of the first questions to ask is why was the gift of tongues given to start with.  1 Cor 14;12 It was to edify the body of Christ, as we see in Acts.  

Corinth was a problemed church with sexual immorality, along with many abuses. One of which was the abuse of the gift to tongues, it was a trade centre & sea port so the environment was very cosmopolitan. They were abusing the gift & Paul tries to corrects the issue in 1 Cor 14   

Keep in mind what the gift is for Edifying the church, So those that couldn't understand a language of the speaker could understand & hear the glories of Gods word. it wasn't suppose to be a babble of people displaying & abusing a gift. Paul wished all could speak in a tongue. WHY? so Gods word could be heard & preached. Thats why they need an interpreter so the hole congregation could understand when someone or another language had something to add. how simple & logical is that. verse 13 therefore= conclusion, let him who speaks in a tongue pray that he may interpret.  Now knowing what the use of tongues is for read the rest of 1 For 14. 

The gift of tongues has been so misinterpreted as has may aspects of the bible, I have heard some Pentecostal preachers say if you don't have the gift of tongues you don't have the Holy Spirit,   1Cor 12:11 disagrees. There are clear passages on the guidelines so don't read into obscure passages what may not be there.

As for women pastors once again don't read into something that Jesus did not say as an affirmative. How big would the Bible have to be if that were the case.

God Bless brother 

Edited by Riccardo

• 3 weeks later...

• Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  597
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,106
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

4 hours ago, Serpardum said:

I think it is because of this attitude.

have you personally experienced this for many nights in a row?

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  54
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,427
  • Content Per Day:  0.88

My question would be as this.   Tongues was dormant or not heard of until the beginning of the 19th century.  And  this so called revival took place in a house church that subsequently spread rapidly till today.  Why was it absent and or is there any documentation of it's use in the pre 1900 period.

Controversial, because it is rarely done the way the Bible says it should be, mainly referring to interpretation.  

1 hour ago, warrior12 said:

My question would be as this.   Tongues was dormant or not heard of until the beginning of the 19th century.  And  this so called revival took place in a house church that subsequently spread rapidly till today.  Why was it absent and or is there any documentation of it's use in the pre 1900 period.

Controversial, because it is rarely done the way the Bible says it should be, mainly referring to interpretation.  

I would agree with the interpretation, but there is the prayer tongues that is just between that person, the Spirit, Jesus and the Father.      I know several people other than myself that do so, but we seldom talk about it.   It's nothing to boast about.   I usually only speak about it when others say it's not real......

And for the record I did not ask for it.   It was given me for my families protection to start, but that's a private matter as prayer tongues should be with everyone.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  711
  • Content Per Day:  0.28

On 2/21/2017 at 5:01 PM, Heavenunlimited said:

Yes, why?  I have never spoken in tounges, ever, until sitting worship in the kitchen, it came bubbling up while I was singing. I felt this joy, more than other times, and I start to have hard to sing, it bubbled in my throat so I had to suppress it because I wanted to sing! Before and after I have heard tounges in my mind. And Im not charismatics, I dont even have a church as Im looking. All I know, it was there.  But Im aware speak in tounges is controversial and I wonder why especially now when it just..happened.

It is controversial because what passes today for tongues is known to both God and Angels and the Bible.

1 Cor 14 says that tongues is not a sign to believers - but to "unbelievers". The popular form that has arisen today - makes unbelievers claim Christians are loons. Only a deeply indoctrinated believer has a ghost of a chance to suppose that maybe this babbling gibberish is of God.

By contrast - in Acts 2 - in the real gift of tongues - people of different languages who hear different speakers will find that one of those speakers is speaking in their native tongue. Does not happen at all in the modern popular examples

In 1 Cor 14 Paul says he speaks in tongues more than all those at Corinth combined. However if it were all just "gibberish" then it would be impossible for one man to "out gibberish" and entire congregation speaking gibberish.  Thus it is Paul speaking in "more tongues" more languages -- but not Paul out-gibberishing and entire congregation engaged in gibberish where "When you assemble each one has a tongue"

They only spoke in tongues when the Holy Spirit surrounded the disciples. Today speaking in tongues is fake. No translations, no interpreter, all it is people trying to manipulate and impress the crowd to get money or notoriety. Yet people still fall for these snake charmers every time. Like Benny Hinn :(

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  711
  • Content Per Day:  0.28

9 minutes ago, Allroses48 said:

They only spoke in tongues when the Holy Spirit surrounded the disciples. Today speaking in tongues is fake. No translations, no interpreter, all it is people trying to manipulate and impress the crowd to get money or notoriety. Yet people still fall for these snake charmers every time. Like Benny Hinn :(

No Bible text says that speaking in tongues has ended. 1 Cor 14 does not say "if there is no interpreter then the gift is fake totally made up" which would have been the right thing to say - the right way to condemn a man-made-fake.  Rather Paul says to practice that very gift - at home alone when there is no interpretation at church. He would not be saying "practice the fake gift at home until you get really good at it" or any such thing.

I don't say this as someone who claims to speak in tongues or claims to have ever heard anyone speak in the real gift of tongues (though I have heard a lot of fake tongues being practiced).

Edited by BobRyan

1 hour ago, Allroses48 said:

even prayer tongues only between one person and God????  to the best of my knowledge I haven't gotten a penny for it.....    saved my wife and kids lives; I guess you could count that as something.

Guest Teditis

I believe that the Gift of Tongues is real and still at work in today's world. I also believe that it is

widely faked by charlatans. So, what I do is look at it in the light of Scripture... how it's being used

and interpreted and also the person that is demonstrating Tongues... are they "showing off" or truly

being moved by the Holy Spirit. In public, is it being interpreted and does it conform to the Bible.

I experienced it early in my Salvation and used it as a "prayer language" for about a year. Nobody else

was around when I used it, save the first time I experienced it, and it only occurred while I was meditating

on the Word as I read. Personally I know several people that still use for Prayer and I'm convinced that they're

participating in something both genuine and from God... they are devout Christians and are very humbled by the Gift.