• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  21
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,573
  • Content Per Day:  0.51
  • Days Won:  0

16 hours ago, *Zion* said:

So, my super smart son of 6 years looked down at his 12 week old sister this afternoon in sweet and genuine admiration, then turned to me and asked: 'Mummy, if you and Daddy never got married, would my soul still be waiting in heaven to be born?'

My first thought was: yes.  But then the more my mind turned it over, the more complicated the question got.  I couldn't answer him with any yes or no, but this scripture hit me:

Genesis 2:7

7 And the Lord God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul.

That was the moment Adam became alive.  I believe in life from conception, but does that mean that the soul comes into existence at that moment, or does it pre-exist?

Thoughts please :)

Out from the mouths of babes, right?

The Jews have a tradition called the Guf, the hall of unborn souls. 

Now I am not one to listen to traditions outside the bible but when you look at passages like.....

Isaiah 44:28 

That saith of Cyrus, He is my shepherd, and shall perform all my pleasure: even saying to Jerusalem, Thou shalt be built; and to the temple, Thy foundation shall be laid.

Isaiah 45:1  

Thus saith the LORD to his anointed, to Cyrus, whose right hand I have holden, to subdue nations before him; and I will loose the loins of kings, to open before him the two leaved gates; and the gates shall not be shut;

Now these passages were written BEFORE the birth of Cyrus so its not impossible that there may be something to that tradition. 

16 hours ago, Yowm said:

According to Gen 2.7 the body is first formed and then God breathes the breath of life into the body and together it becomes a living soul. So no, no pre-existence of souls

The BODY becomes a living soul; that says nothing about the spirit which is different.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  154
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  3,245
  • Content Per Day:  0.78
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  05/11/1984

9 minutes ago, TheMatrixHasU71 said:

The Jews have a tradition called the Guf, the hall of unborn souls. 

Now I am not one to listen to traditions outside the bible but when you look at passages like.....

Isaiah 44:28 

That saith of Cyrus, He is my shepherd, and shall perform all my pleasure: even saying to Jerusalem, Thou shalt be built; and to the temple, Thy foundation shall be laid.

Isaiah 45:1  

Thus saith the LORD to his anointed, to Cyrus, whose right hand I have holden, to subdue nations before him; and I will loose the loins of kings, to open before him the two leaved gates; and the gates shall not be shut;

Now these passages were written BEFORE the birth of Cyrus so its not impossible that there may be something to that tradition. 

I'm sure that God already knows who will come to be long before we are, either way.

24 minutes ago, HisFirst said:

Awareness, in what sense?

Aware that they exist?

(BTW) I work with children and your son is a smart little cookie to come out with that!

Well, were they aware that they were fighting each other?

• Followers:  21
  • Topic Count:  315
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  3,491
  • Content Per Day:  1.26
  • Days Won:  3

9 minutes ago, *Zion* said:

Well, were they aware that they were fighting each other?

That's a good question.

I think twins roll around a lot due to limited space (I'll have to read those passages again to see if it infers awareness etc)

Edited by HisFirst

Just now, Yowm said:

Read Gen 2:7 again. God gives the breath of life (spirit) into the body and man becomes a living soul

I think I may have gotten in backwards. An easy mistake to make. More or less though what I said hasnt changed.

23 hours ago, HisFirst said:

That's a good question.

I think twins roll around a lot due to limited space (I'll have to read those passages again to see if it infers awareness etc)

Yes but I think fighting and just doing your thing in the womb are different.  Babies kick, they're supposed to.  But the Bible says they fought, and records Rebecca's understandable agony.  Again, more questions arise, lol.  I'll leave it there for now.