• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.81
  • Days Won:  226

4 minutes ago, enoob57 said:

I don't understand your question with my post :noidea: 

Sorry, I was just asking a generic tongues question.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  100
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  41,168
  • Content Per Day:  7.98
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

5 minutes ago, missmuffet said:

Sorry, I was just asking a generic tongues question.

No need to say sorry usually people quote you to discuss something that was said... so I was trying to find what I said to prompt your question :) 

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.81
  • Days Won:  226

Just now, enoob57 said:

No need to say sorry usually people quote you to discuss something that was said... so I was trying to find what I said to prompt your question :) 

Maybe I am on my ADD mode.

• Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  100
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  41,168
  • Content Per Day:  7.98
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

1 minute ago, missmuffet said:

Maybe I am on my ADD mode.

are you afflicted :blink: 

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.23
  • Days Won:  115

I pray in tongues as scripture tells me that these prayers come from the Holy Spirit who is praying for me about things I do not understand.  I do this in private or under my breath, but it is always done in faith.  If I cannot take scripture in faith in one place, why would I believe I can take it in another?

I grew up in a family where neither denominations believed in the gifts, but God decided to show me a different path.  Some will stand firm on not believing in the gifts while others cherish them.  Why this is happening is beyond me as scripture is the base of our faith.  Nowhere will any of us read that it is our personal understanding of scripture that is the right path, but the Lord alone is.  Since it was God who gave this ability to me, I will not deny it in order to agree with someone else who does not believe, nor will I tell someone they do not have the gift of faith, or the gift or knowledge.  The fruit of each of us bear witness as to our walk in Christ.

Yes, there will be those who fake it as Satan tried his best to duplicate God, and is especially pleased when he is able to do so in a way where His children turn from scripture with doubt.  We have to be very careful in what we choose to believe and what we call false as we are not the lords of another mans servant, only the Master is.

If anyone does not accept that the gifts still operate today because they do not see them, ask yourselves why would that be?  Is it because He has removed the gifts?  I do not find the removal anywhere in scripture.  Is it because He cannot find the faith in today's followers in order to give them the gifts?  Jesus Himself asked the same question when He asked "when the Son of Man comes, will He really find faith on the earth?"

If anyone chooses to not believe, that is upon them, just as it is upon those who choose to believe.  Don't let this divide the body any more than it already has.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  2,491
  • Content Per Day:  0.55
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  02/02/1971

22 minutes ago, OneLight said:

I pray in tongues as scripture tells me that these prayers come from the Holy Spirit who is praying for me about things I do not understand.  I do this in private or under my breath, but it is always done in faith.  If I cannot take scripture in faith in one place, why would I believe I can take it in another?

I grew up in a family where neither denominations believed in the gifts, but God decided to show me a different path.  Some will stand firm on not believing in the gifts while others cherish them.  Why this is happening is beyond me as scripture is the base of our faith.  Nowhere will any of us read that it is our personal understanding of scripture that is the right path, but the Lord alone is.  Since it was God who gave this ability to me, I will not deny it in order to agree with someone else who does not believe, nor will I tell someone they do not have the gift of faith, or the gift or knowledge.  The fruit of each of us bear witness as to our walk in Christ.

Yes, there will be those who fake it as Satan tried his best to duplicate God, and is especially pleased when he is able to do so in a way where His children turn from scripture with doubt.  We have to be very careful in what we choose to believe and what we call false as we are not the lords of another mans servant, only the Master is.

If anyone does not accept that the gifts still operate today because they do not see them, ask yourselves why would that be?  Is it because He has removed the gifts?  I do not find the removal anywhere in scripture.  Is it because He cannot find the faith in today's followers in order to give them the gifts?  Jesus Himself asked the same question when He asked "when the Son of Man comes, will He really find faith on the earth?"

If anyone chooses to not believe, that is upon them, just as it is upon those who choose to believe.  Don't let this divide the body any more than it already has.

Thanks OneLight, I hold no judgement whether one does or does not speak or pray in tongues, just trying to understand.  I have witnessed people speak in tongues only a couple times,  and there was no interpretation given, so when I compare that with scripture, I wonder why it does not agree with their actions.  These are my elders, who I respect.  Maybe I'm missing something.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  2,491
  • Content Per Day:  0.55
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  02/02/1971

Paul is here referring to a prophecy God had given through Isaiah. The nation of Israel had failed to heed God’s message which He gave through their own prophets, so the Lord told them that at a future time they will hear His message through tongues (languages) other than their own. “For with stammering lips and another tongue will He speak to this people “ (Isaiah 28:11). Thus Paul sees in this Isaiah prophecy the gift of tongues as a sign to Israel. The words “this people” in Isaiah 28:11, in its context, can refer only to Israel.

https://bible.org/article/speaking-tongues

• Followers:  30
  • Topic Count:  266
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  13,200
  • Content Per Day:  3.49
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  10/06/1947

47 minutes ago, hmbld said:

Thanks OneLight, I hold no judgement whether one does or does not speak or pray in tongues, just trying to understand.  I have witnessed people speak in tongues only a couple times,  and there was no interpretation given, so when I compare that with scripture, I wonder why it does not agree with their actions.  These are my elders, who I respect.  Maybe I'm missing something.

Hi hmbld,

Those elders should have waited on the Lord for the interpretation if no one else interpreted it. Otherwise it did not edify the church gathering, ie, explain the message from God.

Marilyn.

• Followers:  30
  • Topic Count:  266
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  13,200
  • Content Per Day:  3.49
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  10/06/1947

1 hour ago, missmuffet said:

Jesus did not speak in tongues did He?

Hi missmuffet,

Good question. Now Jesus being full of the Holy Spirit did many signs & wonders & healings & spoke wisdom from God, & prophesied etc etc. However `tongues` is for building up the individual & the Body of Christ. The Holy Spirit was given by Jesus after His ascension for that specific purpose.

Different purposes there. Marilyn.