• Followers:  30
  • Topic Count:  267
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  13,207
  • Content Per Day:  3.49
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  10/06/1947

14 minutes ago, Spock said:

Okay, but be careful here if you compare any activity with doing something for God.  Is playing golf a waste of time? Or bowling?  Or playing cards with friends?  

Hi Spock,

I do think you answer is very good - gets to the heart, the motivation.

I`m now just giving my thoughts on the topic -

Hubby & I watch TV. We tape the few shows we like & thus can fast forward the ads & also watch when we have time. BTW his favourite is...the weather, :Dhe`s a farmer & needs to know what happening so he & his brothers can plant, harvest, etc.

And it`s not only TV we have to becareful of....magazines, newspapers, videos, the internet, books, etc etc.

Spock said it right. Marilyn.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  186
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,244
  • Content Per Day:  3.33
  • Days Won:  30

We do the same thing, Marilyn.  We watch the weather a lot and, I confess, NRL rugby.  We watch some of the mysteries that are pretty inane and NCIS, but we record them so we can eliminate commercials.  And I agree that golf can be a good lifetime sport if you can afford it and it is a course that still allows you to walk.  But we are unable to do some of the things we used to enjoy, and are retired, so these TV shows give us some diversion. 

9 minutes ago, Willa said:

We do the same thing, Marilyn.  We watch the weather a lot and, I confess, NRL rugby.  We watch some of the mysteries that are pretty inane and NCIS, but we record them so we can eliminate commercials.  And I agree that golf can be a good lifetime sport if you can afford it and it is a course that still allows you to walk.  But we are unable to do some of the things we used to enjoy, and are retired, so these TV shows give us some diversion. 

Hi Willa,

I think TV is a good tool. We can learn of God`s creation, get some news, (not all the horror & gore), watch inspiring documentaries & movies, appreciate what others go through, (biggest loser, hospital documentaries, undercover boss etc) and also see how people have overcome difficulties, (eg. aircrash investigations, even sports & racing show behind the scenes & team work.etc)

We probably have different shows over here in Aussie, but we really appreciate `Foyle`s War.` It shows behind the scenes of everyday people during the war & after, with a policeman & his driver. The policeman has a good sense of justice & works with people & also tracks down the crime.

So you can see that hubby & I like to watch shows that reveal people having gone through difficulties & how they are overcoming them. Do you?

regards, Marilyn. 

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  29
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,239
  • Content Per Day:  0.86
  • Days Won:  6

My wife and I just finished watching Hacksaw Ridge.  Wow! I am speechless after viewing that.  When I saw Mel Gibson directed it, it made sense then. 

Desmond Doss, what a brother in the Lord.  To pull 75 injured people out of harms way in the manner that he did was simply astounding.  The Lord was most definitely in that. It was great seeing a man of God, prayer, and a man who never left home without his Bible portrayed like on the big screen.  It reminded me of Chariots of Fire. 

One caveat if you are thinking of seeing it- the war scenes were almost too real, very hard to view, especially for the weak of heart, like me. 

• Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  186
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,244
  • Content Per Day:  3.33
  • Days Won:  30

We especially like nature shows like about hummingbirds and owls.  I watch some shows about people overcoming difficulties but my work included a lot of those things, having worked in hospitals as well as with the handicapped through the school system.  So a lot of those reality shows don't seem very realistic to me.  But one of my favorite movies is "Soul Surfer" which is about a girl whose arm was bit off by a shark while she was surfing, but how God gave her the ability to overcome and become a professional surfer.  It is based on a true story.  

17 minutes ago, Marilyn C said:

Hi Willa,

I think TV is a good tool. We can learn of God`s creation, get some news, (not all the horror & gore), watch inspiring documentaries & movies, appreciate what others go through, (biggest loser, hospital documentaries, undercover boss etc) and also see how people have overcome difficulties, (eg. aircrash investigations, even sports & racing show behind the scenes & team work.etc)

We probably have different shows over here in Aussie, but we really appreciate `Foyle`s War.` It shows behind the scenes of everyday people during the war & after, with a policeman & his driver. The policeman has a good sense of justice & works with people & also tracks down the crime.

So you can see that hubby & I like to watch shows that reveal people having gone through difficulties & how they are overcoming them. Do you?

regards, Marilyn. 

We get old series of yours on public broadcasting, as well as some from England and Canada.  I like old movies at least prior to '65 and old comedies as well.  They are not realistic at all,  but are clean fun.  

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  953
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,589
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

God used tv to save me. About 150 of them, and of course the Gideon Bible, plus the big haired tv preachers and their wives all selling their brand of Jesus.

So  do I find tv sinful? God uses even what is meant for harm to the good for those that will believe on Jesus as Lord and savior. So watch away, as far as I can tell it is no sin. Course I am busy at the sin  of watching my Rays play baseball most nights half a year at a time.

One can tell if they are in excessive watching mode when they watch FOX cable news, and fail to turn it off when they drag out Father Johnathan.:huh:- And then watch it three times in three hours before realizing, hey I have seen this before. Then it may be time to consider reducing tv time.

Edited by Neighbor

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  54
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,428
  • Content Per Day:  0.88
  • Days Won:  0

Before you throw the stones, i must warn you, i have a big shield and you can't hurt me.   So here i go.  Is not the TV also called the idiot box.  

So said dictionary.com 

Guest bonnieschamberger

No I dont feel it is wrong or anything ..I like that show too I just get it on netflix(discs through the mail)..netlfix is all I have anyway so it works out ...I end up having a movie night 2 or 3 nights a week and its fun 

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  54
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,428
  • Content Per Day:  0.88
  • Days Won:  0

37 minutes ago, warrior12 said:

Before you throw the stones, i must warn you, i have a big shield and you can't hurt me.   So here i go.  Is not the TV also called the idiot box.  

So said dictionary.com 

I must confess though, in my younger days, i watched a lot of  television, from the days of black and white to early colour.   All those nice shows like , brady bunch, flipper, hogan heros, lassy, bonnaza, little house on the parrie, gilligan island,  and who could remember  DARK SHADOWS, yes a vampire show, where i used a pillow to cover half my eyes.  Those were the days, still had lot of commercials.    Fourteen years now TV free and like it that way.  Now the internet has replaced the former, but i can choose my content.      Oh well, it's all about your convictions and how it affects your walk.

1 hour ago, Willa said:

We especially like nature shows like about hummingbirds and owls.  I watch some shows about people overcoming difficulties but my work included a lot of those things, having worked in hospitals as well as with the handicapped through the school system.  So a lot of those reality shows don't seem very realistic to me.  But one of my favorite movies is "Soul Surfer" which is about a girl whose arm was bit off by a shark while she was surfing, but how God gave her the ability to overcome and become a professional surfer.  It is based on a true story.  

We get old series of yours on public broadcasting, as well as some from England and Canada.  I like old movies at least prior to '65 and old comedies as well.  They are not realistic at all,  but are clean fun.  

Hi Willa,

Yes the `Soul Surfer,` movie was great. She is very brave & reaches out to other people with God`s love. We like the old movies, pre `65 too, comedies & musicals. I suppose the Aussie movies must seem strange to you as we have our own lingo & ways that fit in with the harsh environment here.

Marilyn.