• Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,106
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

50 minutes ago, Fridaywinds said:

Absolutely great idea. 

U.S. | Wed Apr 15, 2009 | 5:29pm EDT

United Air to charge obese double on full flights

There are little creature cut-outs at theme parks telling all visitors they have to be at a certain height to ride the 2 minute ride they're going to stand in line for for hours.

Why not have an airline seat picture with a cutout at booking and at the boarding section of every airline. If a passenger is wide enough to make two people they should pay for both to sit comfortably on a flight. Everything has to be in consideration of payload on anything that flies. 

Super wide people shouldn't be able to crush other people between themselves. If I was walking and two people the size of Samoan wrestlers walked to each side of me and then ran together crushing me between , I could sue for damages. Why should I pay for that instead on an airliner just for the privilege of getting somewhere quicker than driving in my spacious by comparison car?

http://www.independenttraveler.com/travel-tips/none/airline-obesity-policies

Airline Obesity Policies

Does that mean they get two seats or just pay double? Not trusting the airlines.....

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  80
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  0

7 hours ago, other one said:

Does that mean they get two seats or just pay double? Not trusting the airlines.....

They get two seats. The armrests can be shifted upward usually on their right side since the seating starts on the aisle if possible. It's quite the sight but it beats being mushed between them like the person in the article was. 

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.81
  • Days Won:  226

47 minutes ago, Fridaywinds said:

They get two seats. The armrests can be shifted upward usually on their right side since the seating starts on the aisle if possible. It's quite the sight but it beats being mushed between them like the person in the article was. 

They would have to pay for the two seats. That could be very expensive.

• Group:  Royal Member *
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  91
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  10,596
  • Content Per Day:  3.69
  • Days Won:  25

13 hours ago, missmuffet said:

Oh well, it is the only fair way to do it.  

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  260
  • Content Per Day:  0.10

23 hours ago, missmuffet said:

Yes, that was in the Reuters article that was linked here.

"United Airlines, a unit of UAL Corp, will require obese passengers bumped from full flights to purchase two seats on a subsequent flight, matching the policy of some other carriers.

The change brings the Chicago-based in line with eight other airlines including Continental, Delta, JetBlue and Southwest, United spokeswoman Robin Urbanski said on Wednesday.

"Last year we had 700 complaints from passengers who had to share their seats," she said.

Under the new policy, obese passengers -- defined as unable to lower the arm rest and buckle a seat belt with one extension belt -- will still be reaccommodated, at no extra charge, to two empty seats if there is space available.

If, however, the airplane is full, they will be bumped from the flight and may have to purchase a second ticket, at the same price as the original fare, Urbanski said."

They should have to pay for two seats when they're wide enough to fit two seats. It's only fair to them at a comfort level. And it is certainly fair to other passengers who shouldn't have to suffer as Mr.Taylor did. 

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  40
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  508
  • Content Per Day:  0.14
  • Birthday:  03/09/1985

From the article see the gentleman has scoliosis, (a curvature in the spine). I have the  same thing, and find flying to be somewhat uncomfortable on certain airlines without and empty seat beside me. I can only image how bad it would be to be squashed between who very large passengers for such a long haul flight.