IGNORED

Ecumenism: "Why Can't We Be Friends?"

Guest Teditis
1 hour ago, Spock said:

Hmmmm.  I'm a bit confused by one thing you said. 

About three years ago, my wife and I attended a Catholic Church to take my mother there because that is where she prefers to go and we partook of holy communion there. The priest did not say this communion is only for RCC members. I seriously doubt too that everyone there who took communion were members of the RCC family. 

Am I misinterpreting something you said? 

That's been my experience as well. Although I do think that it's Vatican's policy not to give communion to non-RCCers,

the local parishes don't follow that rule very much. They run it on a "don't ask, don't tell" policy and then freely give

communion to any that come to receive it.

I've never seen anyone rejected...

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  29
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,239
  • Content Per Day:  0.86
  • Days Won:  6

44 minutes ago, Happinessity said:

Has it occurred to anyone else? This entire thread's base question is, what are the ways and reasons we can look down on others who call themselves Christian when we do not approve them that title? 

Anybody?

Forgive me for being slow, but I'm not following what you are asking here. What I think you are saying makes no sense to me, so I must be thinking erroneously.  If you have the desire, Would you mind rephrasing it.  Thanks.

4 minutes ago, Teditis said:

That's been my experience as well. Although I do think that it's Vatican's policy not to give communion to non-RCCers,

the local parishes don't follow that rule very much. They run it on a "don't ask, don't tell" policy and then freely give

communion to any that come to receive it.

I've never seen anyone rejected...

It's good business too.  They usually take collection after communion.  If you make me or any non RCC feel unwanted, do you think I would be so enthusiastic to open my wallet?  Lol. 

Disclaimer: Not meaning to offend, just being practical.  

Edited by Spock

Guest Teditis
58 minutes ago, Happinessity said:

Has it occurred to anyone else? This entire thread's base question is, what are the ways and reasons we can look down on others who call themselves Christian when we do not approve them that title? 

Anybody?

I'm misunderstanding this post too... could you rephrase it for us?

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,028
  • Content Per Day:  0.23
  • Days Won:  1

1 hour ago, Happinessity said:

Anybody?

I think this derives from a misunderstanding of discernment. We end up equating discernment with criticism. At times discerning circles do move into a critical mode but the heart of discernment is being able to stand firm. The armor in Ephesians 6. Stand firm.

The radical in this life is the Christian. Everything in this world is built on an anti christ worldly perspective. If it were not for the living God reaching out to humanity, evil would rule and we would smell blood every day until our own is shed. Think about it. 

All religion has it's roots in Babel. All of it. God called Abraham and Abraham believed. It's the distinction that makes all the difference. This isn't some past time of thought and philosophy on having a good life until we die. It's pure and true from a holy and loving creator who will return and put all things right. "The beginning of wisdom is the fear of God." That's what's at the heart of discernment. A mixture is no good.

"May your love abound more and more in real knowledge and all discernment." Phil. 1:9.

Jude speaks of hating the garment spotted with the flesh right in the context of love, it's about love, and yes we all get carried away at times but I really believe most of us desire to speak these things in love. Difficult task on a message board but we keep trying.

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  7,853
  • Content Per Day:  2.42
  • Days Won:  3

1 hour ago, Spock said:

It's good business too.  They usually take collection after communion.  If you make me or any non RCC feel unwanted, do you think I would be so enthusiastic to open my wallet?  Lol. 

Disclaimer: Not meaning to offend, just being practical.  

For Jesus Christ it counts many things, but at our last breath, at the sound of the last trumpet for each one of us, the most important thing will be,  are we going to be found with faith in Jesus Christ. 

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  260
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Days Won:  0

20 hours ago, Zemke said:

I think this derives from a misunderstanding of discernment. We end up equating discernment with criticism. At times discerning circles do move into a critical mode but the heart of discernment is being able to stand firm. The armor in Ephesians 6. Stand firm.

The radical in this life is the Christian. Everything in this world is built on an anti christ worldly perspective. If it were not for the living God reaching out to humanity, evil would rule and we would smell blood every day until our own is shed. Think about it. 

All religion has it's roots in Babel. All of it. God called Abraham and Abraham believed. It's the distinction that makes all the difference. This isn't some past time of thought and philosophy on having a good life until we die. It's pure and true from a holy and loving creator who will return and put all things right. "The beginning of wisdom is the fear of God." That's what's at the heart of discernment. A mixture is no good.

"May your love abound more and more in real knowledge and all discernment." Phil. 1:9.

Jude speaks of hating the garment spotted with the flesh right in the context of love, it's about love, and yes we all get carried away at times but I really believe most of us desire to speak these things in love. Difficult task on a message board but we keep trying.

Yes, there is a difference between discernment and criticism. My observation encircled the latter. 

• Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  21
  • Content Count:  1,573
  • Content Per Day:  0.51

On ‎5‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 8:55 PM, Fidei Defensor said:

The debates are fierce between denominatuons. We each have our unique views, but Jesus wanted us to be One (John 17:20-28). Christ's prayer was not for Apostles alone, but all who believe in their message (John 17:19-21). I have started this thread for commonality, unity, and to delight in our differences, to share them without fear of malice, judgement, and severity.

This is a safe space for all Trinitarian denominations. If you are non-Trinitarian you may share, but please lets not turn this thread into a debate center, instead here we practice civility, examples of eticate "Interesting perpective, I respectfully hold to a different view," or "Since you have shared that view, I have this question about that doctrine," instead of "your wrong! See the light." 

Here the goal is to be loving and share views without the heated rhetoric of debate threads (if you want robust and loud debate go elsewhere please).

Here we celebrate our simarities and show respect for differences and even desire to inderstand them and celebrate them, rather than fight over Eucharist views, we share them without judgement and enjoy the conversation over the different views.   

paid-in-full_4540_1280x8002.jpg

Why cant we all just be friends? Because the whole spirit of ecumenism is about finding "common ground" in spite of what are often gross theological differences and that is something which one cannot do. You often see this in churches who allow Islamics into their midst.

Ecumenism is not of God it is of Satan

I should add you aren't being a very good "friend" to a Catholic, Muslim, Mormon, Jew, or whatever if you do not rebuke them first and teach them the truth.

Edited by TheMatrixHasU71

5 minutes ago, TheMatrixHasU71 said:

Why cant we all just be friends? Because the whole spirit of ecumenism is about finding "common ground" in spite of what are often gross theological differences and that is something which one cannot do. You often see this in churches who allow Islamics into their midst.

Ecumenism is not of God it is of Satan

I should add you aren't being a very good "friend" to a Catholic, Muslim, Mormon, Jew, or whatever if you do not rebuke them first and teach them the truth.

Matrix, I'm afraid you missed the purpose FD was making for stRting this thread. It has nothing to do with anyone who does not claim the name of Jesus as Lord or anyone who does not believe in the trinity.

im not sure why you included Muslims, Jews, JWs in this. 

He was merely just trying to bring all true people who hold themself out as Christ's to lay down their swords and find common grounds with fellow believers.  We do get into some fierce debates over doctrine.....why not lay down our weapons for one thread and embrace one another in the bond of what we do have in common- the love of God! 

• Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  21
  • Content Count:  1,573
  • Content Per Day:  0.51

3 minutes ago, Spock said:

Matrix, I'm afraid you missed the purpose FD was making for stRting this thread. It has nothing to do with anyone who does not claim the name of Jesus as Lord or anyone who does not believe in the trinity.

But I am afraid it does, though not directly. Ecumenism doesn't work when you have gross heresies amongst Christian denominations and I just happened to bring up how Ecumenism is doing its best to suppress the truth when Christian churches associate with non Christians just as an example.