• Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  29
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,239
  • Content Per Day:  0.86
  • Days Won:  6

2 hours ago, Davida said:

Can you reprove me with scripture then?

Not repeating myself, davida. This thread and the woman's thread several weeks ago have given you our scriptural position, so no need to be a broken record. 

If I may be so bold, I wish you would please slowwwwww down and read our posts instead of being so quick to respond. I don't think you have gotten any of my posts today because you are so hectic to crank out a rebuttal. You are not addressing the specific points being made. 

One last time- my point today is that people have and are still guilty of taking a verse or two from the word out of context and use it to support WHAT THEY WANT IT TO SAY.  I cited the bigoted racists of the 1800s who did just that, when they justified their right to slavery by quoting guess who? Paul from his LETTERS. (I wonder if Paul ever thought all of his LETTERS would end up being scripture read everyday for thousands of years by every Christian  on an equal plane with the Gospels, Acts, Hebrews, and Revelation?  Philemon who?  Just a thought.)  

Because of this, I encourage a TOTAL examination of the entire word as a better  way to support a doctrine.  What does God say about roles of women from Genesis to Revelation, not just a few verses from the same guy who is writing a specific LETTER to a specific person or a specific church. I also encourage the use of COMMON SENSE too, which means you might have to exam context and culture.

people do that all the time, davida.  For example, how many Christians  have erased the 4th commandment from their  Bible and some have even done away with all 10 commandments saying they only apply to a person of Jewish persuasion.  Why did they do that?  I'm sure Context and culture came into play along with perhaps a few other factors like keeping traditions.

In your rebuttal, please stick to what is being said IN THIS POST ONLY.  This way we could build on what the other one is saying. No need to repeat yourself and cite 1 Timothy 2 again.  We got it. Tell me what, if anything, you disagree from this post and why?

Thanks,

paul

Edited by Spock

• Group:  Royal Member

Matthew 9

The Workers Are Few

35Jesus went through all the towns and villages, teaching in their synagogues, proclaiming the good news of the kingdom and healing every disease and sickness. 36When he saw the crowds, he had compassion on them, because they were harassed and helpless, like sheep without a shepherd. 37Then he said to his disciples, “The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few. 38Ask the Lord of the harvest, therefore, to send out workers into his harvest field.”

Spock thoughts: Had Jesus said, "send out male workers into his harvest field ". I might be thinking a bit differently. 

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  349
  • Content Per Day:  0.14
  • Days Won:  2

16 minutes ago, Spock said:

Matthew 9

The Workers Are Few

35Jesus went through all the towns and villages, teaching in their synagogues, proclaiming the good news of the kingdom and healing every disease and sickness. 36When he saw the crowds, he had compassion on them, because they were harassed and helpless, like sheep without a shepherd. 37Then he said to his disciples, “The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few. 38Ask the Lord of the harvest, therefore, to send out workers into his harvest field.”

Spock thoughts: Had Jesus said, "send out male workers into his harvest field ". I might be thinking a bit differently. 

Beautiful! :) 

John 20:17 Jesus said to her, "Do not hold on to me, because I have not yet ascended to the Father. But go to my brothers and say to them, 'I am ascending to my Father and your Father, to my God and your God.'" 20:18 Mary Magdalene went and announced to the disciples, "I have seen the Lord"; and she told them that he had said these things to her.

"It is ironic with the low status of women in that day that Jesus chose to appear to Mary and the other women, and that "the first Christian preachers of the Resurrection were not men, but women!" (The Dictionary of Jesus and the Gospels, 883). Jesus did not first appear to the "vicar" of the church, Peter, or even to the beloved disciple. He appeared to Mary and the women who followed him and served him. Mary saw him first, and she received the central tenet of the Christian faith: "He is risen!" She was the first to proclaim the good news, or gospel, of the resurrection. Jesus could have just as easily appeared to Peter and the beloved disciple, or to the disciples cowered behind locked doors. That he appeared to Mary first can only mean that this was by divine appointment and was a deliberate act on his part. Women as well as men were credible witnesses to the gospel and were commissioned to preach it to all with whom they came into contact. And the women were faithful in proclaiming the Gospel, even to the disciples."

Apostle to the Apostles:
The Women Disciples of Jesus

Shawna R. B. Atteberry

The Greek Words Used to Describe Preaching
Prepared by Bob Young
Page may be copied and used for teaching purposes with appropriate credit noted

INTRODUCTION

I. A PROCESS FOR ACCURATELY UNDERSTANDING THE BIBLE

II. GUIDELINES FOR UNDERSTANDING A BIBLICAL TEXT

III. THE IMPORTANCE OF AN INTENSIVE, ACCURATE WORD STUDY FOR UNDERSTANDING A BIBLE SUBJECT

IV. A STUDY OF THE GREEK WORDS TRANSLATED BY THE ENGLISH WORD "PREACH"

I. Kerusso

II. Euaggelizo

III. Kataggello

IV. Dialegomai

V. Laleo

VI. Didasko

VII. Diaggello (see also apaggello, paragello, et.al.)

VIII. Apologeomai (cf. also apologia)

IX. Suzeteo (suzetesis)

X. Strateo (cf. strateia)

XI. Parresiazomai (cf. parresia)

XII. Epagonizebthai

XIII. Elegko (cf. elegkos) (reproof, 2 Tim. 3:16; evidence, Heb. 11:1)

XIV. Parakaleo

XV. Matheteo

CONCLUSION
God's plan is for preachers to faithfully and fully preach the word (Acts 20:20; 2 Tim. 4:1-2). We have multiplied examples of this in the word studies above and in biblical examples (especially see Acts 20:18-21, 24-27).

linea.gif

Return to Home Page

http://www.bobyoungresources.com/bible/grkprch.htm

Last updated October 26, 2012

24 minutes ago, Spock said:

Matthew 9

The Workers Are Few

I copied this from a Bible site because the KJV is not copyright protected but is a public domain. You know how Paul's letter in one case about wives is being used often enough to have it appear as if God told Paul to tell the world women are not to preach? Remember the scripture where Paul said we are all one in Christ? He said that more than once. :) 

Try this letter to the Romans. About preaching. Note the bold underlined part?There's no male exclusive gender identity in his remarks there. 

Romans 10 (KJV)

10 Brethren, my heart's desire and prayer to God for Israel is, that they might be saved.

For I bear them record that they have a zeal of God, but not according to knowledge.

For they being ignorant of God's righteousness, and going about to establish their own righteousness, have not submitted themselves unto the righteousness of God.

For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to every one that believeth.

For Moses describeth the righteousness which is of the law, That the man which doeth those things shall live by them.

But the righteousness which is of faith speaketh on this wise, Say not in thine heart, Who shall ascend into heaven? (that is, to bring Christ down from above:)

Or, Who shall descend into the deep? (that is, to bring up Christ again from the dead.)

But what saith it? The word is nigh thee, even in thy mouth, and in thy heart: that is, the word of faith, which we preach;

That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.

10 For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.

11 For the scripture saith, Whosoever believeth on him shall not be ashamed.

12 For there is no difference between the Jew and the Greek: for the same Lord over all is rich unto all that call upon him.

13 For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.

14 How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed? and how shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard? and how shall they hear without a preacher?

15 And how shall they preach, except they be sent? as it is written, How beautiful are the feet of them that preach the gospel of peace, and bring glad tidings of good things!

16 But they have not all obeyed the gospel. For Esaias saith, Lord, who hath believed our report?

17 So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.

18 But I say, Have they not heard? Yes verily, their sound went into all the earth, and their words unto the ends of the world.

19 But I say, Did not Israel know? First Moses saith, I will provoke you to jealousy by them that are no people, and by a foolish nation I will anger you.

20 But Esaias is very bold, and saith, I was found of them that sought me not; I was made manifest unto them that asked not after me.

21 But to Israel he saith, All day long I have stretched forth my hands unto a disobedient and gainsaying people.

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  7,689
  • Content Per Day:  2.39
  • Days Won:  20

< shrugs >   God apparently continues telling A LOT of people today not to let women preach over men.

A LOT of men and women and children AGREE about this.

Just not all.

12 minutes ago, simplejeff said:

< shrugs >   God apparently continues telling A LOT of people today not to let women preach over men.

A LOT of men and women and children AGREE about this.

Just not all.

Apparently? 

What evidence do you have of that apparent fact today? When there are so many women preachers in the world. 

What scripture of God's command, not a pastoral letter written by Paul to his churches, is there that says that? Please post. Thank you.  

58 minutes ago, Wolf Bridges said:

Apparently? 

What evidence do you have of that apparent fact today? When there are so many women preachers in the world. 

What scripture of God's command, not a pastoral letter written by Paul to his churches, is there that says that? Please post. Thank you.  

Eating popcorn. ?

Hey churchmouse,

I would love to read your feedback on each paragraph I have written below. I would like to see what common ground we have if any.  

If you don't mind,  would you write 1 for your feedback on paragraph 1 only;  2 for feedback on paragraph 2 only; and 3 for feedback on paragraph 3 only.  Thanks.

1. People have and are still guilty of taking a verse or two from the word out of context and use it to support WHAT THEY WANT IT TO SAY.  I cited the bigoted racists of the 1800s who did just that, when they justified their right to slavery by quoting guess who? Paul from his LETTERS. (I wonder if Paul ever thought all of his LETTERS would end up being scripture read everyday for thousands of years by every Christian  on an equal plane with the Gospels, Acts, Hebrews, and Revelation?  Philemon who?  Just a thought.)  Therefore, we have to be careful not to use a very small segment of scripture to make a doctrine. 

2. Because of this, I encourage a TOTAL examination of the entire word as a better  way to support a doctrine.  What does God say about roles of women from Genesis to Revelation, not just a few verses from the same guy who is writing a specific LETTER to a specific person or a specific church. I also encourage the use of COMMON SENSE too, which means you might have to exam context and culture.

3.  People often apply context and culture much more than they probably I magine.  For example, how many Christians  have erased the 4th commandment from their  Bible and some have even done away with all 10 commandments saying they only apply to a person of Jewish persuasion.  Eating food set apart for idols is another that comes to mind. Why did they do that?  I'm sure Context and culture came into play along with perhaps a few other factors like keeping traditions.  So, if you are allowed to apply context and culture on some matters, is it possible this issue of women roles should also be filtered through a context/culture lens?

Thanks for your feedback. I will be reading and pondering. I value your input. 

Spock

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Followers:  207
  • Topic Count:  60
  • Content Count:  8,651
  • Content Per Day:  1.17
  • Days Won:  4
  • Birthday:  03/04/1943

On 5/15/2017 at 8:09 PM, Spock said:

We will start off easy- davida didn't answer me, so maybe you can....
Paul gave a lot of dos and don't but did you notice....
he never spoke against slavery....

How come? 

:sherlock:

Brother Saul

All who are under the yoke as slaves must regard their own masters to be worthy of all respect, so that God's name and His teaching will not be blasphemed. 1 Timothy 6:1 (Holman Christian Standard Bible)

Speaks On Slavery

Slaves, obey your earthly masters with deep respect and fear. Serve them sincerely as you would serve Christ. Try to please them all the time, not just when they are watching you. As slaves of Christ, do the will of God with all your heart. Work with enthusiasm, as though you were working for the Lord rather than for people. Remember that the Lord will reward each one of us for the good we do, whether we are slaves or free.

Masters, treat your slaves in the same way. Don’t threaten them; remember, you both have the same Master in heaven, and he has no favorites. Ephesians 6:5-9 (New Living Translation)

~

Be Blessed Beloved Of The KING

The LORD bless thee, and keep thee:
The LORD make his face shine upon thee, and be gracious unto thee:
The LORD lift up his countenance upon thee, and give thee peace.

And they shall put my name upon the children of Israel; and I will bless them. Numbers 6:24-27 (King James Bible)

Love, Your Brother Joe

~

Thy word is true from the beginning: and every one of thy righteous judgments endureth for ever. Psalms 119:160 (King James Bible)

The Bible contains the mind of God, the state of man, the way of salvation, the doom of sinners, and the happiness of believers. Its doctrines are holy, its precepts are binding, its histories are true, and its decisions are immutable.

Read it to be wise, believe it to be safe, and practice it to be holy. It contains light to direct you, food to support you, and comfort to cheer you.

It is the traveler’s map, the pilgrim’s staff, the pilot’s compass, the soldier’s sword and the Christian’s charter. Here too, Heaven is opened and the gates of Hell disclosed.

Christ is its grand subject, our good its design, and the glory of God its end. It should fill the memory, rule the heart and guide the feet. Read it slowly, frequently and prayerfully.  It is a mine of wealth, a paradise of glory, and a river of pleasure.

It is given you in life, will be opened at the judgment, and be remembered forever. It involves the highest responsibility, rewards the greatest labor, and will condemn all who trifle with its sacred contents.

From The Inside Of My Gideon New Testament

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Content Count:  2,491
  • Content Per Day:  0.55
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  02/02/1971

2 hours ago, Wolf Bridges said:

I copied this from a Bible site because the KJV is not copyright protected but is a public domain. You know how Paul's letter in one case about wives is being used often enough to have it appear as if God told Paul to tell the world women are not to preach? Remember the scripture where Paul said we are all one in Christ? He said that more than once. :) 

Try this letter to the Romans. About preaching. Note the bold underlined part?There's no male exclusive gender identity in his remarks there. 

As for workers of the harvest, they be male and female, sure, yet I am not sure that throws out the headship argument.   These are two separate issues.