• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,990
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,688
  • Content Per Day:  11.83
  • Days Won:  226

26 minutes ago, shiloh357 said:

I am not going to take any theological instruction from you.  So don't waste your time.

That was rather harsh wasn't it? I thought that was against the TOS?

• Group:  Royal Member *
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  91
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  10,596
  • Content Per Day:  3.70
  • Days Won:  25

4 minutes ago, missmuffet said:

That was rather harsh wasn't it? I thought that was against the TOS?

It is quite all right, it is not a theological debate because nobody is saying the cannon is incorrect.   He is committing the logical fallacy of circular reasoning.   

Guest shiloh357

10 minutes ago, Running Gator said:

It is quite all right, it is not a theological debate because nobody is saying the cannon is incorrect.   He is committing the logical fallacy of circular reasoning.   

I have not committed any logical fallacy of circular reasoning.   That is just nonsense.

Guest Judas Machabeus
1 hour ago, shiloh357 said:

Doesn't matter.   The point is that Judas said our canon was unscriptural and I simply want to know why he thinks that.

Actual this is why I've added you to my ignore list. Because you form an agenda and don't listen. You are always right and everyone else is always wrong. 

This thread is about closing the canon and NOT what the canon is. A couple posts have  treaded slightly in that direction and I have replied that I disagree and that is all I said. 

Guest shiloh357
2 minutes ago, Judas Machabeus said:

Actual this is why I've added you to my ignore list. Because you form an agenda and don't listen. You are always right and everyone else is always wrong. 

No, I am a person who is simply more theologically literate than what you prefer to engage with.  I pose challenges that you can't really address.

This thread is about closing the canon and NOT what the canon is. A couple posts have  treaded slightly in that direction and I have replied that I disagree and that is all I said. 

The two are not unrelated.  If the canon isn't closed, then what the canon is, is of paramount importance, don't you think?

Guest Judas Machabeus
1 hour ago, Yowm said:

Interesting sentence if one reads it slowly.

What is the 'deposit of faith' left unto the apostles if not the writings we have in the New Testament?

Caught your attention did it ;) it's not a phrase that is used in Protestant circles. At least I don't think it is, but I could be wrong. So let me explain what I mean by that. 

Jesus never instructed anyone to write anything down. He told them to go out and spread the good news.

Catholic Study Bible

Mark 16:15-16

15 And he said to them, "Go into all the world and preach the gospel to the whole creation.
16 He who believes and is baptized will be saved; but he who does not believe will be condemned.

John tells us that not everything Jesus did was written down

Catholic Study Bible

John 21:25

25 But there are also many other things which Jesus did; were every one of them to be written, I suppose that the world itself could not contain the books that would be written. 

The deposit of faith is the complete faith and teachings that Jesus gave to the Aposltes. The faith that the Aposltes passed on to their disciples and they passed onto theirs. Like Paul instructs Timothy to do:

Catholic Study Bible

2 Timothy 2:1-2

1 You then, my son, be strong in the grace that is in Christ Jesus,
2 and what you have heard from me before many witnesses entrust to faithful men who will be able to teach others also.

This is what I mean when I say the deposit of Faith. In the interest of not derailing the thread, if you would like to start a thread to discuss this I'd be happy to join the conversation. 

Guest Judas Machabeus
1 minute ago, Yowm said:

Au contraire

I'll let you have the last word on the subject. This thread is about closing the canon. 

If it's a topic you would like to discuss start a thread and I'll happily join you. 

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  7,689
  • Content Per Day:  2.39
  • Days Won:  20

21 minutes ago, shiloh357 said:

No, I am a person who is simply more theologically literate than what you prefer to engage with.  I pose challenges that you can't really address.

Correct,  Concerning this as always,  when you use Scripture,  YHWH'S WORD< as THE Authority,   those who use tradition cannot counter it nor address it with any Godly authority at all.  They are 'lost' as regards Authority,  and get off and far away from Scripture more and more....

Guest Judas Machabeus
Just now, Yowm said:

I see how the game is played. I asked about the deposit of faith (which you brought up), you misrepresented our Lord, I made the correction and you cry foul, 'not on topic'...nice.

SMH,

in BOTH replies I said if you wished to discuss it to create a thread and I would join you. BOTH REPLIES BOTH

In the future when you ask me a question that will require and off topic response I'll just ignore your question. Oh wait than you'll cry foul about me ignoring you. 

It seems to be a common thing to only see what one wants to see and not what is written. Too bad. 

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  7,689
  • Content Per Day:  2.39
  • Days Won:  20

6 minutes ago, Yowm said:

I see how the game is played. I asked about the deposit of faith (which you brought up), you misrepresented our Lord, I made the correction and you cry foul, 'not on topic'...nice.

When anyone depends on tradition,  and often their life and livelihood and family and friends depend on it too,

they won't go down quietly,  

and they cannot rest until,

if YHWH PERMITS,

they turn to YHWH for HIS WAY,  HONOR HIS WORD,  and cease from tradition that all opposes HIM (i.e. a complete life change is required).