• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  30
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  104
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  06/28/1993

Why is it most people, when you advice them they take it as judgement?

• Thumbs Up 1
  • This is Worthy 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  953
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,589
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

Ahh, because it seldom is advice, it is instead judgement? And it is mean spirited and self aggrandizing all at the same time?

Advice is unsolicited criticism, counsel is invited guidance mutually sought out. Let me give you some advice is not the statement of a friend that has my best interests at heart. It is a threat and a putdown all rolled into one!

A kinder person, a friend might say; if you see a problem here as I think I might, may we both seek the counsel of our LORD together? Will you consider joining me in prayer, and reading the word of God, plus the hard task the thinking and study of it with a goal to find good application for us in it? And if we reach a conclusion that is similar might we then work to hold each other accountable lifting each other up before God in prayers as we do?

Edited by Neighbor
spelling error noted and changed
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • This is Worthy 1

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  953
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,589
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

The advice givers, they are  rampant, and ever busy but seldom doing much of anything that results in  advancing the Gospel of Jesus, nor glorifying God before an unsaved world. Yet they never seem to care either, nor do they ever seem to see that God is already at work upon me and others too.

They just jump in and do what God is too slow to do in their mind's eye. They speed up the mixer, they turn the oven up full,  and they end up with nothing for their efforts except tarry bitters. That and evidently a sense of self satisfaction that at least they  are better, and they tried to make others as good as them.

But hey, that is just my perspective. If there is an issue of concern might we look at the word of God, pray together, and see if we are led  by the Holy Spirit to a common understanding in which we may hold each other accountable through encouragement  and through praising our creator as we share of our common faith in the Gospel of Jesus?

It is a tough place this world, but our Lord is coming again. Maranatha.

Edited by Neighbor
spelling error corrected
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • This is Worthy 1

• Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,252
  • Content Per Day:  0.97
  • Days Won:  1

Pro 29:11  A fool uttereth all his mind: but a wise man keepeth it in till afterwards

As long as I'm still breathing, I will have the capacity to act the fool........:(

Pro 15:5  A fool despiseth his father's instruction: but he that regardeth reproof is prudent

Pro 17:10  A reproof entereth more into a wise man than an hundred stripes into a fool.

ro 23:9  Speak not in the ears of a fool: for he will despise the wisdom of thy words

Pro_26:12  Seest thou a man wise in his own conceit? there is more hope of a fool than of him.

Pro 9:8  Reprove not a scorner, lest he hate thee: rebuke a wise man, and he will love thee.

• Thumbs Up 2

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  23
  • Topic Count:  133
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2,864
  • Content Per Day:  0.62
  • Days Won:  2

Advice becomes criticism when it is uninvited or unasked for. When a person is looking for and wants another person's opinion it becomes advice. But even in giving out asked for advice great tact is needed so that the advice does not become criticism. Advice that accuses or condemns the person asking for advice is not going to be well received and anything spoken after that will be taken as condemnation.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • This is Worthy 1

• 1 month later...

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  7,689
  • Content Per Day:  2.38
  • Days Won:  20

On 9/3/2017 at 6:10 AM, Benevolent said:

Because "most people" are not forgiven, and are continuing in sin, willingly, resisting God's Grace.

They already chose to remain in the darkness (if they don't like judgment or criticism) , because their deeds are dark, 

and when the light (Jesus) comes close,  they don't like it.

Jesus said "Rejoice when people get mad, even furious with true judgment and criticism, = it means the truth is too close for comfort." (and their conscience is still salvageable or alive/ active/  so they might be saved, forgiven or redeemed of the sin they haven't repented of)

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Oy Vey! 1

• Followers:  25
  • Topic Count:  61
  • Content Count:  9,606
  • Content Per Day:  3.97
  • Days Won:  21

I agree with all of you.
It is the Lord that convicts (or as Smith Wigglesworth put it, makes us CONVINCED of SIN).

However, the devil and his buddies love it when we 'convict' each other without really knowing who we are, or at what stage in the journey we have reached.

A soft answer turns away wrath generally, but I have noted that some take a soft answer as 'capitulating' to their view and then further hammering you with their 'logic'.

In my mind, and it is just me, if humility is apparent, I will tend to listen.
The other point is that we are not talking just amongst ourselves. There is a whole world of witnesses out there that may or may not be discouraged by our words and the way we treat each other.

Words have consequences. Some of them may have eternal consequences.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Loved it! 1

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1,022
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  6.11
  • Days Won:  78

13 hours ago, simplejeff said:

Because "most people" are not forgiven, and are continuing in sin, willingly, resisting God's Grace.

They already chose to remain in the darkness (if they don't like judgment or criticism) , because their deeds are dark, 

and when the light (Jesus) comes close,  they don't like it.

Jesus said "Rejoice when people get mad, even furious with true judgment and criticism, = it means the truth is too close for comfort." (and their conscience is still salvageable or alive/ active/  so they might be saved, forgiven or redeemed of the sin they haven't repented of)

And that right there is an example of what is NOT the way to advise anyone.  No hearts or minds will be changed by judgmental comments such as this.  You assume 'most people' are not up to your standards and 'most people' will simply tune you out.  You are not encouraging to those seeking, jeff.

• This is Worthy 1

• Followers:  25
  • Topic Count:  61
  • Content Count:  9,606
  • Content Per Day:  3.97
  • Days Won:  21

What do you suppose this means?
Does it apply to us?

Isiah 3:

2As for My people, a babe is their master,
And women rule over them.
O My people, they that lead thee cause thee to err,
And destroy the way of thy paths.

13The LORD standeth up to plead.
And standeth to judge the peoples.

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.80
  • Days Won:  226

On 9/3/2017 at 4:10 AM, Benevolent said:

It all depends on how you present the advice. Some people will be on the defense and some people will take it graciously.

• Thumbs Up 3