IGNORED

Have you ever stopped and wondered what God has called you to do?

OneLight

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,992
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,690
  • Content Per Day:  11.78
  • Days Won:  226

We spend time in God's Word and in prayer. We ask Him. God will reveal it to us. It might not happen overnight.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Praise God! 1

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.23
  • Days Won:  115

You are right in this not happening overnight.  It will happen one moment at a time, if we are willing to listen.  If it is taking years, as it has with me, then the time unknowing is proof that I have not been listening, just moving forward with what I think I should be doing.  I can find nowhere in scripture that tells me it will take years.  I do, however, find the following.

2 Peter 1:5-11

But also for this very reason, giving all diligence, add to your faith virtue, to virtue knowledge, to knowledge self-control, to self-control perseverance, to perseverance godliness, to godliness brotherly kindness, and to brotherly kindness love.  For if these things are yours and abound, you will be neither barren nor unfruitful in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.  For he who lacks these things is shortsighted, even to blindness, and has forgotten that he was cleansed from his old sins.

Therefore, brethren, be even more diligent to make your call and election sure, for if you do these things you will never stumble; 11 for so an entrance will be supplied to you abundantly into the everlasting kingdom of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.

Notice that we are to strive by adding to one, then another.  Just sitting back and praying, waiting for an answer, is not really the way to move forward.  God already has given us instructions on how to know.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  957
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,632
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

5 hours ago, OneLight said:

As I sit here reading through all the threads that catch my eye, I notice one theme that is evident, each of us believes we have something to give.  For some, it is encouragement from the heart, or an ear to listen to what others are going through.  It could be a hand to lift someone up or to hold the shield of faith big enough to cover both you and the one you are protecting.  Perhaps an eye to watch over others, or a nose to discern trouble or a blessing.  It may be a mind to help others think through their issues, or a mouth to speak the truth in every situation.  Some have feet to help people walk in the true peace of God, or it may even be the inner parts that go unnoticed such as gut felt prayer.  It may even be a backbone that strengthens the whole body and allows it to stand.

Have you taken the time to really know what God has called you to do and be in Him?  All too often we are far too busy to truly take the time to reassure that we are where we are supposed to be, doing what we are supposed to do.  I know that I have been far too busy with all the responsibilities I have taken upon myself to really give God the time He deserves, so as I ask this question to you, I am first asking this question to myself.

1 Corinthians 12:12-31 is what I am basing my question on.

For as the body is one and has many members, but all the members of that one body, being many, are one body, so also is Christ.  For by one Spirit we were all baptized into one body—whether Jews or Greeks, whether slaves or free—and have all been made to drink into one Spirit.  For in fact the body is not one member but many.

If the foot should say, “Because I am not a hand, I am not of the body,” is it therefore not of the body?  And if the ear should say, “Because I am not an eye, I am not of the body,” is it therefore not of the body?  If the whole body were an eye, where would be the hearing? If the whole were hearing, where would be the smelling?  But now God has set the members, each one of them, in the body just as He pleased.  And if they were all one member, where would the body be?

But now indeed there are many members, yet one body.  And the eye cannot say to the hand, “I have no need of you”; nor again the head to the feet, “I have no need of you.”  No, much rather, those members of the body which seem to be weaker are necessary.  And those members of the body which we think to be less honorable, on these we bestow greater honor; and our unpresentable parts have greater modesty, but our presentable parts have no need. But God composed the body, having given greater honor to that part which lacks it, that there should be no schism in the body, but that the members should have the same care for one another.  And if one member suffers, all the members suffer with it; or if one member is honored, all the members rejoice with it.

Now you are the body of Christ, and members individually.  And God has appointed these in the church: first apostles, second prophets, third teachers, after that miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, administrations, varieties of tongues.  Are all apostles? Are all prophets? Are all teachers? Are all workers of miracles?  Do all have gifts of healings? Do all speak with tongues? Do all interpret?  But earnestly desire the best gifts. And yet I show you a more excellent way.

These verses made me stop and wonder, not about what office or position I would like, but what I am called to do in Him.  I understand that the gift He has given to me will move me toward a position in His body if I only took time to allow Him to show me.  What I am not sure of, due to my decision to fill my schedule with all kinds of responsibilities, is what am I in Him?  I have, in the past, tried to be all things to all people so I may reach everyone, to do everything, changing the parts as needed, unsure of what or where my strengths are.  In short, I have not truly taken the time to really know what my calling is.

So, have you taken the time to be sure you know what your calling is and given Him the time to mold you into what He has called you to be?  Something I think we all should seek with our whole hearts.

Yes I have taken the time to ask. God gave me a section of rope, and the command; "Push on this".

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Neighbor said:

Yes I have taken the time to ask. God gave me a section of rope, and the command; "Push on this".

Care to expound?

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  957
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,632
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

23 minutes ago, OneLight said:

Care to expound?

Why sure, God has placed me in second at command at most of my career stops. That means having much responsibility without actual power. I push on a rope so to speak. It can work out well, but does require a unique attitude and in no false modesty, a special aptitude. It is the learned talent, and perhaps even an aspect of the  spiritual gift of helps, and in practice the  putting of  Ronald Reagan's  "You can get a lot done, if you don't mind who gets the credit for it", into play continuously. God has deliberately kept me in one situation after another  where I must be humble, for without that constraint I surely would fail Him and my service to Him as  a soldier in Christ Jesus at his post.

Edited by Neighbor
  • Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, Neighbor said:

Why sure, God has placed me in second at command at most of my career stops. That means having much responsibility without actual power. I push on a rope so to speak. It can work out well, but does require a unique attitude and in no false modesty, a special aptitude. It is the learned talent, and perhaps even an aspect of the  spiritual gift of helps, and in practice the  putting of  Ronald Reagan's  "You can get a lot done, if you don't mind who gets the credit for it", into play continuously. God has deliberately kept me in one situation after another  where I must be humble, for without that constraint I surely would fail Him and my service to Him as  a soldier in Christ Jesus at his post.

Thanks for sharing!  I also have been involved in a lot of helps ministry, and like you, mostly behind the scenes.   Being humble in such a way does have a special blessing as you watch those who are in need have their needs fulfilled, no matter how small.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  186
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,247
  • Content Per Day:  3.33
  • Days Won:  30

God seems to change my calling according to the need in the body that I see.  I am content being a "go fer".  Otherwise, people tell me that prayer is my calling, or that I am an encourager-- perhaps and exhorter.  A huge part of the things I pray for is salvation of people, for protection of His Servants that they may stand strong against temptations and attacks as well as for physical protection, and for healing of those who are suffering both physically and emotionally.  Looking at the ministry of Jesus:

Luk 4:18  "THE SPIRIT OF THE LORD IS UPON ME, BECAUSE HE HAS ANOINTED ME TO PREACH THE GOSPEL TO THE POOR; HE HAS SENT ME TO HEAL THE BROKENHEARTED, TO PROCLAIM LIBERTY TO THE CAPTIVES AND RECOVERY OF SIGHT TO THE BLIND, TO SET AT LIBERTY THOSE WHO ARE OPPRESSED;  Luk 4:19  TO PROCLAIM THE ACCEPTABLE YEAR OF THE LORD." 

Knowing the heart and focus of God helps direct my attention to where I should reach out.  

• Thumbs Up 3

• Followers:  56
  • Topic Count:  1,664
  • Topics Per Day:  0.20
  • Content Count:  19,764
  • Content Per Day:  2.38
  • Days Won:  28

41 minutes ago, OneLight said:

Thanks for sharing!  I also have been involved in a lot of helps ministry, and like you, mostly behind the scenes.   Being humble in such a way does have a special blessing as you watch those who are in need have their needs fulfilled, no matter how small.

Hi Alan,

For me, I find how older I get, how more I realize what life is all about, we're not going to be here forever and I pray that God will use me to bring more people into His Kingdom, Life is short and I pray that my legacy will be that I loved the Lord ,that's all I want people to remember about me.

Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles. And let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us, Hebr.12:1

I love to help in the Worthy ministry  and pray many people will come to the light of through this ministry, I have been here for many years now and I still rejoice very much when I hear somebody accepting Jesus as their Savior ! 

When we put Jesus first,it is amazing what He will do for us! 

God has given us all a gift and I believe mine is to encourage people as I'm a people person :)

Praise God for all He has done! My Savior lives :)

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, Willa said:

God seems to change my calling according to the need in the body that I see.  I am content being a "go fer".  Otherwise, people tell me that prayer is my calling, or that I am an encourager-- perhaps and exhorter.  A huge part of the things I pray for is salvation of people, for protection of His Servants that they may stand strong against temptations and attacks as well as for physical protection, and for healing of those who are suffering both physically and emotionally.  Looking at the ministry of Jesus:

Luk 4:18  "THE SPIRIT OF THE LORD IS UPON ME, BECAUSE HE HAS ANOINTED ME TO PREACH THE GOSPEL TO THE POOR; HE HAS SENT ME TO HEAL THE BROKENHEARTED, TO PROCLAIM LIBERTY TO THE CAPTIVES AND RECOVERY OF SIGHT TO THE BLIND, TO SET AT LIBERTY THOSE WHO ARE OPPRESSED;  Luk 4:19  TO PROCLAIM THE ACCEPTABLE YEAR OF THE LORD." 

Knowing the heart and focus of God helps direct my attention to where I should reach out.  

Yes, He is the potter and we are the clay as He forms us into His tool for each purpose He needs.  Thanks you for that reminder, yet we all have something special, a calling that we are based in.