• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  19
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  03/07/1987

Hi , i am very embarassed to tell that i cant take fasting on water, not for a day nor for two-three days. As i used to work as an administrator-interpreter of a russian restaurant in China for years, i couldnt stay hungry even for a day, food, smells, professional kitchen... I tried to but i always fail. I love cooking, its my biggest hobby, maybe thats why i pay so much of attention to meal, i dont want to seem too spoiled but if i see that the dish doesnt look as perfect as on a menu for instance in some diner then i might go very angry and say smth mean to staff...There is no faith without fasting, but whenever i try to start it then anger comes into my heart and everything irritates me, i cannot concentrate on a prayer and Biblical text AT ALL ! I feel myself too weak for being a good christian :unsure:

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.22
  • Days Won:  115

Welcome Evgeniya.

I need to point out that someone can have faith without fasting.  I am not sure where you heard this, but it is wrong.  Fasting is a discipline to the flesh, just like saying no to other sins of the flesh.  May I suggest that when you try to fast, do so in a place where there is no food and focus on His creation and what He has done in your life.  Fasting takes practice, as with all other disciplines.  Set your fasting goals low at first and build on them.  If you set your goal too high, you will fail and become discouraged. 

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Loved it! 1

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  43
  • Topic Count:  43
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  650
  • Content Per Day:  0.28

1 hour ago, Evgeniya said:

Hi , i am very embarassed to tell that i cant take fasting on water, not for a day nor for two-three days. As i used to work as an administrator-interpreter of a russian restaurant in China for years, i couldnt stay hungry even for a day, food, smells, professional kitchen... I tried to but i always fail. I love cooking, its my biggest hobby, maybe thats why i pay so much of attention to meal, i dont want to seem too spoiled but if i see that the dish doesnt look as perfect as on a menu for instance in some diner then i might go very angry and say smth mean to staff...There is no faith without fasting, but whenever i try to start it then anger comes into my heart and everything irritates me, i cannot concentrate on a prayer and Biblical text AT ALL ! I feel myself too weak for being a good christian :unsure:

There are many forms of fastings, for instance fasting from social media, fasting from news, movies, distractions.

You could use some of these forms of fasting and use that time to read the Gospel or help others, if actual fasting seems to be your Achille's wheel. 

You may find yourself strengthened in faith and more motivated for physical fasting. :) 

Edited by listener24
  • Thumbs Up 4

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  25
  • Topic Count:  35
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  6,734
  • Content Per Day:  2.75
  • Days Won:  21

Welcome Evgeniya!

Like Listener said above, there are many methods of fasting. You can give up certain kinda of food (chocolate, sweets, etc), social media, TV, Movies, etc. It isn't all based on totally not eating. 

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  88
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  6,894
  • Content Per Day:  2.42
  • Days Won:  4
  • Birthday:  11/10/1986

I can't say I've ever fasted from food. There seems to be no Biblical basis to think that Christians can't have faith without fasting.

• Thumbs Up 2

• Followers:  52
  • Topic Count:  1,025
  • Topics Per Day:  0.15
  • Content Count:  12,351
  • Content Per Day:  1.80
  • Days Won:  92

Not everyone is able to fast...some might get low blood sugar and feel faint, or actually faint.    I usually can only fast for several hours.

I think the main reason to fast is to feel closer to the Lord... it's not about following any rule.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  357
  • Content Per Day:  0.15

On 12/28/2017 at 3:00 PM, Evgeniya said:

diets and self-deprivation of food are not the righteous way to fast - wherever there is speech about fasting (as a kind of self-deprivation of food) in Scripture the Prophets meant self-deprivation of all spiritual/religious activities/traditions which are originated by the world and not entirely by the true Lord God - remember the primary law(the Ten Commandments): the religious worshiper should not have other gods besides the true One (Exodus 20:3), they should not create any spiritual/religious theory or practice (in connection/conjunction/interaction with any thing that is either in the "heaven", in the "earth" or in the "see/waters" (given that the true Lord God is the only One that is beyond/above these three)) - neither should they revere such things, nor serve them (even if not they but someone else created them) (Exodus 20:4-6)...

also, read Isaiah 58 - especially verses sixth and seventh - and remember how Jesus and His true disciples fulfilled these verses (namely by forgiving sinners, casting out demons from demon-possessed people, healing the sick, resurrecting dead, etc.)

that is the true fasting, while diets and self-deprivation of food are not appropriate for skinny, puny and weak people - moreover, their beneficial effect is short-lived

1 Timothy 4:8 (NASB) "for bodily discipline is only of little profit, but godliness is profitable for all things, since it holds promise for the present life and also for the life to come."

Blessings

Edited by ytLiJC
  • Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  38
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  641
  • Content Per Day:  0.27

On 12/28/2017 at 5:00 AM, Evgeniya said:

I think that fasting also has to be Spirit led.  Remember, nothing is impossible with the Lord.  But definitely has to be Spirit led and He will give you the strength to endure it. :D

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  14
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  168
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Birthday:  03/18/1951

Shalom Evgenia,

Have you read all the above suggestions? Good. Now, just for a change, read the following to know GOD's Opinion too.

...Is not this the Fast that I have chosen? to loose the bands of wickedness, to undo the heavy burdens, and to let the oppressed go free, and that ye break every yoke? Is it not to deal thy bread to the hungry, and that thou bring the poor that are cast out to thy house? when thou seest the naked, that thou cover him; and that thou hide not thyself from thine own flesh?  Then shall thy Light break forth as the morning, and thine Health shall spring forth speedily: and thy Righteousness shall go before thee; the Glory of the LORD shall be thy Rereward.  Then shalt thou call, and the LORD shall answer; thou shalt cry, and He shall say, Here I am...       (Isaiah 58:6-9)

In my book Q & A, I dared to call this Blessed Teaching the First Fast, without which any other fasting is but a diet or so.

GOD bless you.

Igor

Edited by Igor Evgen
format

Guest shiloh357
On 12/28/2017 at 7:00 AM, Evgeniya said:

I don't fast, at all.  Some people  go 21 or even 30 days without eating.   I get really grouchy if I miss breakfast and lunch.   If I had to go 21 days without food, I would probably start taking hostages...  :P