friendship has an expiration date

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  414
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  1,273
  • Content Per Day:  0.36
  • Days Won:  0

what you think of this. i recently saw a clip from the stever Harvey show. in the ask Steve  segment,a woman  stood and said she had had a friend who for over 20 years and always makes sure to be there for her, even throwing parties etc but said friend doesn do the same for her eg she didnt recently attend her birthday which greatly disturbed her.  Steve's response (though not biblical )was interesting. He said loyalty has an expiration date and if we realise a friend of ours has gravitated away from us,they have given us permission to gravitate from them. so while we don't have to become enemies and maintain a familiarity, nothing wrong with moving them out of our lives.

what do you think?

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  19
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  449
  • Content Per Day:  0.18
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  07/16/1964

2 minutes ago, creativemechanic said:

what you think of this. i recently saw a clip from the stever Harvey show. in the ask Steve  segment,a woman  stood and said she had had a friend who for over 20 years and always makes sure to be there for her, even throwing parties etc but said friend doesn do the same for her eg she didnt recently attend her birthday which greatly disturbed her.  Steve's response (though not biblical )was interesting. He said loyalty has an expiration date and if we realise a friend of ours has gravitated away from us,they have given us permission to gravitate from them. so while we don't have to become enemies and maintain a familiarity, nothing wrong with moving them out of our lives.

what do you think?

Well, in a sense I agree, but for the Christian this especially needs be something they exercise discernment on. Maybe the friend simply forgot, or had another more important engagement, or was severely depressed and didn't want to be around anyone, or felt slighted by something WE had done without even realizing it...

I think this is where you go to God and ask for His heart on the matter. And if it calls for forgiveness, then strengthen yourself to obey your Heavenly Father (and theirs, hopefully). 

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  75
  • Content Count:  3,399
  • Content Per Day:  0.43

When ever someone breaks a relationship there is always a reason or reasons..  People owe it to a former friend to at lest let them know why they are breaking off a relationship..

Communication is extremely important in any relationship.. Once clear and calm communication breaks down then any relationship will soon be shipwrecked.. That's why the ""silent treatment"" is probably the Worst tactic / habit to have.. If a person ends the relationship and does not tell you why then they probably had the ""silent treatment"" tactic for a while in the relationship anyway..

Humans are human and they are faulty.. So friendships often do end.. 

A relationship is like a garden.. It needs regular tending to otherwise it becomes weed infested and in time is no longer a garden..

• Thumbs Up 2

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  14
  • Content Count:  301
  • Content Per Day:  0.14
  • Birthday:  07/11/1979

Friend-ship

When two are on board.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • This is Worthy 1

• Topic Count:  385
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  7,692
  • Content Per Day:  1.93
  • Days Won:  3

My friendships last about 5 or 6 years. Then they meet other people and don't want to hang out with me anymore. Well I'm depressed now. :mellow:

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  32
  • Topic Count:  476
  • Topics Per Day:  0.17
  • Content Count:  6,559
  • Content Per Day:  2.28
  • Days Won:  9

1 hour ago, LadyKay said:

My friendships last about 5 or 6 years. Then they meet other people and don't want to hang out with me anymore. Well I'm depressed now. :mellow:

I had a friend who said i was there best friend. Now we are not friends. I think itscomman for people tomove on to other friemds. But it hurts.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Topic Count:  385
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  7,692
  • Content Per Day:  1.93
  • Days Won:  3

41 minutes ago, Wayne222 said:

I had a friend who said i was there best friend. Now we are not friends. I think itscomman for people tomove on to other friemds. But it hurts.

Had a friend in school. She moved from her old school one summer and was going to be going to my school. She didn't know anyone except for me a another girl who lived across the street from us. She was all nervous about going to a new school where she didn't know anyone. So when school started I introduced her to my friends. She hit it off with them and soon they were all hanging out with her. I tagged along but it wasn't long that I realized I really didn't fit in anymore. We parted ways and not only did I lose her as a friend but all of my friends who followed her. She is on FB and still hangs out with those friends from school and talks about how they are best friends and sisters. And all I can think is that she would not have even know these people if it had not been for me. Yeah I know. I have some issues to work on. I know. :mellow: 

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  952
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,573
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

How much is seventy times seventy?

Are not even the tax collectors  friendly to those that are friendly to them?

What good testimony is there in being a friend only to the lovely?

My opinion is never ever be the one that says, enough I will not be your friend bcause of .....

It is better to be as my uncle declared of our enemy, "I may not be his friend, but he is mine". [For the sake of the gospel of Jesus as continuing testimony of a witness for Jesus  he stayed a friend to the man that caused us great grief. Now that man is long gone, his slights and financial injuries long over, but my uncle and his testimony are still in my mind, heart, and soul.]

Some say do not get mad, get even.  Seems a poor practice to me. As does running away. It is better to just let the slights fall fallow, and smile with the joy that is within each saint for the knowing of Jesus as Lord, God, and savior. With that great  pleasure and duty, in such abundance within, why  let any person shut it out for even a minute?

• Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Content Count:  5,251
  • Content Per Day:  0.97

A friend is loyal.

Not an acquaintance. A good friend. There are many quotes describing what a friend is. My definition I tell people  "A friend is someone I could call in the middle of the night and ask them to come get me out of jail. And they would come.  And not ask why I'm in jail".
I still have childhood friends. Some a half century.  Most every one of them has gone through 'unfriendly' times with me, yet our friendship has endured. I'm not the easiest person to be around, but then, many of my friends are the same. If I haven't heard from someone in a while, I just give them a buzz. I don't think about any possible silent treatment, figure they just been busy like me. I think most all my friends and myself can be very blunt with each other, and we are, and it's no biggie. We all know each other, so no surprises. As the years go by, I'm losing many the Lords calling home. I think a
friend must show himself friendly, especially during the tough times, if he really is a loyal friend.

Pro_17:17  A friend loveth at all times

Pro_18:24  A man that hath friends must shew himself friendly: and there is a friend that sticketh closer than a brother.

Pro_27:6  Faithful are the wounds of a friend;

Pro_27:17  Iron sharpeneth iron; so a man sharpeneth the countenance of his friend.

Jas_2:23  And the scripture was fulfilled which saith, Abraham believed God, and it was imputed unto him for righteousness: and he was called the Friend of God.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Loved it! 1

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  347
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Days Won:  2

I think we have to build each friendship around what is feasible. If I constantly beg someone to come to my parties, and I know they really won't come, I'm just setting up impossible demands that will cause friction. Friendship doesn't work one side is always angry at the other -- and it's foolish to keep begging someone to do what they don't want to do.

If I realize that a certain person is good for a lunch date every few months, then that the baseline of our friendship. I accept them on those terms. No hard feelings. Just an understanding that this is what we have together. We won't have any more. Me harassing them to be my best friend is a waste of time. Enjoy what you can have with someone, and don't expect any beyond it.

If that person completely disappears, let them disappear. Don't beg them to stay. Pray for them, and be available if they come back around, but don't force them to validate you. There is no compulsion in affection. Freely give with no expectation of repayment. You're not a bad person if you find other people who really do want to hang out with you.