Fidei Defensor

Biblical Cinemia

For the last eighty years, Hollywood has churned our Biblical Epics and films that have opened the hearts of the lost and the imaginations of the saints. These films have been as massive as Cecile B. DeMille”s The Ten Commandments and Gibson’s The Passion of the Christ to the private budget films like “God’s Not Dead,” and “War Room.” 

Christian cinema has changed our culture, by giving the world a moving picture, living paintings and these canvases made of pixels, directors,  actors, actressses, screen plays, props and more have been able to get the Bible, the Gospel and Judeo-Christian concepts to an audience that never would attend a church or go to art gallery. 

Biblical movies have opened the Bible to us in ways that reading Scripture couldn’t. Much like the stain glass of the Middle Ages and the paintings through the ages, movies give us a visual education of the faith. 

While certainly there is much to criticize in adaptions if the Bible, you may vent those in this new section. Let us remember that while we should confront errors in film with the scripture (2 Timothy 3:16) we should also be open to the postives of how films can help us see what we read and appreciate those gems of insight that unfold on the silver screens.

Scripture is gold, movies are silver and in some cases bronze. 

• Thumbs Up 2

I agree with you Fidei. A few yrs ago something was on TV that had to do with a live performance in NYC of certain parts of the Gospels. After the show some young people (15 - 30 age range) were interviewed and I was shocked to hear them say they never heard of Jesus or His life and Gospel.

Even shows liked "Touched By An Angel" help because they always tell at least 1 person that "God loves you".

I always knew of God. I remember asking my father questions about God when I was 5. So yes it's terrible that we're letting kids grow up without hearing of God, Jesus and what they did 2000 yrs ago.

• Thumbs Up 3

My sister in law rededicated her life to the Lord after watching Jesus Christ Superstar, which only shows that God can use anything to accomplish His purpose.  

• Oy Vey! 1

On 7/24/2018 at 4:00 PM, Fidei Defensor said:

For the last eighty years, Hollywood has churned our Biblical Epics and films that have opened the hearts of the lost and the imaginations of the saints. These films have been as massive as Cecile B. DeMille”s The Ten Commandments and Gibson’s The Passion of the Christ to the private budget films like “God’s Not Dead,” and “War Room.” 

Christian cinema has changed our culture, by giving the world a moving picture, living paintings and these canvases made of pixels, directors,  actors, actressses, screen plays, props and more have been able to get the Bible, the Gospel and Judeo-Christian concepts to an audience that never would attend a church or go to art gallery. 

Biblical movies have opened the Bible to us in ways that reading Scripture couldn’t. Much like the stain glass of the Middle Ages and the paintings through the ages, movies give us a visual education of the faith. 

While certainly there is much to criticize in adaptions if the Bible, you may vent those in this new section. Let us remember that while we should confront errors in film with the scripture (2 Timothy 3:16) we should also be open to the postives of how films can help us see what we read and appreciate those gems of insight that unfold on the silver screens.

Scripture is gold, movies are silver and in some cases bronze. 

I agree, and I am so happy to see more and more faith-based movies being made that can help people cope with everyday life, stories that remind them of the very real treasure we have in our relationship with God through Christ. One movie that comes to mind is War Room, a story of lives transformed through prayer.  Many people don't realize that prayer is actually a weapon against evil.  This movie deserves a silver, but it can lead someone to gold! :) 

• Thumbs Up 1