• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  25
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  211
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  09/06/1970

Over the course of my 30 years of driving...I have only been pulled over for speeding twice - my last ticket was 12 years ago!

I've known some Christians who speed and don't think anything of it?  When I mention it to them...they just find it funny and they definitely make no effort to change their ways?

The question I guess is; "Is speeding a sin?"

Paul is very clear when he tells us, “Everyone must submit himself to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established. The authorities that exist have been established by God. Consequently, he who rebels against the authority is rebelling against what God has instituted, and those who do so will bring judgment on themselves” (Romans 13:1-2). In spite of how we might try to twist the Scriptures, as Christians we have a God-directed responsibility to obey the laws that our government has established (unless the laws contradict God's Word).

We also need to ask ourselves; what kind of an example are we to the people who know we are Christians and who we are trying to reach with the gospel of Christ? How many times have we seen someone speeding by, only to notice the fish or some other Christian symbol on their bumper? This definitely sends the wrong message. 

It’s interesting how some try to justify their actions even though we know they’re not in compliance with the will of God, including those laws established by our governing officials. As for exceeding the posted speed limit, we will tell ourselves that it’s not nearly as bad as the so-called “bigger” sins such as lying or adultery or murder. But Solomon, the wisest man to ever have lived, put it this way: “Doing wrong is like a joke to a fool, but wisdom is pleasure to a man of understanding” (Proverbs 10:23). 

Though some will think nothing of breaking the law, we know assuredly that some will be quick to point out our hypocrisy. As followers of Christ, we need to carefully consider our manner of life in all things before the Lord, and this includes our driving habits. It was the prophets of old who declared, “Woe to those who call evil good and good evil, who put darkness for light and light for darkness, who put bitter for sweet and sweet for bitter. Woe to those who are wise in their own eyes and clever in their own sight” (Isaiah 5:20-21). Malachi goes on to tell us God’s weariness with Israel when they, oblivious to their sin, said to Him, “All who do evil are good in the eyes of the Lord, and he is pleased with them" (Malachi 2:17). May we not follow the example of the ancients who wearied God with their lame excuses and justifications for their evil deeds.

Yes, speeding is a sin (as we’ve learned from Romans 13:1-2). Again, we must always consider our manner of living not only before the eyes of God, but also before the eyes of our fellow man. The reason we don’t break the law by speeding is that we love God and respect His authority. It was Peter who commanded, “Submit yourselves for the Lord's sake to every authority instituted among men: whether to the king, as the supreme authority, or to governors, who are sent by him to punish those who do wrong and to commend those who do right. For it is God's will that by doing good you should silence the ignorant talk of foolish men” (1 Peter 2:13-15).

If you're one to speed...how many speeding tickets have you ever received (Only joking! lol).  SERIOUSLY though...Do you think you would reconsider your driving habits after reading this?

Please share your thoughts...

1248717454_HeartheWordofGodandObeyit.jpg.5a84ea43da09d22a27f1386950a8ec58.jpg

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  25
  • Content Count:  211
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Birthday:  09/06/1970

6 minutes ago, Butero said:

We should make every effort to obey the laws of the land, and violating a speed limit is breaking the law.  Does that mean I think that you are doing something terrible to go 60 in a 55?  No.  Some would try to make out like going one mile above the posted speed limit is as bad as murder because they have no judgment.  They use absurd arguments like that to try to claim sin is sin, even though Jesus spoke of some sins being weightier than others.  

Anyone that has been driving any amount of time knows that there are times where it is nearly impossible to keep your vehicle from picking up speed above the posted speed limit, like on a hill, or perhaps it is the safest course of action to speed up slightly to let a car merge in behind you.  Sometimes there is an issue of traffic flow, and when you set your cruise on the exact speed limit, it leads to more people running up on you and taking unnecessary risks passing, where if you were going perhaps 3 miles over the limit, it is easier for them to remain behind you.  It is like when you are passing.  I know some will claim that you are never to go above the posted limit, even when passing, but it is safer to speed up some to get around as quickly as possible, especially on a two lane road, than to sit there at the exact posted speed limit.  Drivers you are passing will tend to speed up as you try to go around, which is a serious problem on a two lane highway.  Some things are common sense to me, and I speak as a professional driver for almost 25 years, with no speeding tickets since I was 18 years old, which is a long time ago.  

If we are talking about blatant speeders who are weaving in and out of traffic, and running 10 or more miles over the speed limit all the time because they are impatient or for kicks, I do see that as a sin and disobeying the laws of the land.  I don't see it as violating the weightier matters of the law, but that doesn't matter.  Jesus said we should be concerned with even the least commandments in scripture if we want to be great in his Kingdom.  This is just my opinion.  I am sure there are those who will say that if you ever go over the posted limit by even a single mile per hour, you sinned.  Good luck with that.  

Hi Butero and thanks.  I totally agree!  There are times when you do need to go a couple of kms over the limit just to make things a little safer for everyone on the road, depending on the situation at the time.  Rather, I am talking about the ones who speed 10 - 15 kms over the limit, anywhere, anytime - having no respect for the law or for other road users!

• Praise God! 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  88
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  1,276
  • Content Per Day:  0.62

The worse part of speeding habitually is not breaking the law, it is the impatience and the lack of consideration for other people. Those who are always late and can not effectively manage time show striking similarities to people with mental disorders.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  92
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2,167
  • Content Per Day:  0.66
  • Birthday:  11/10/1961

4 hours ago, Butero said:

We should make every effort to obey the laws of the land, and violating a speed limit is breaking the law.  Does that mean I think that you are doing something terrible to go 60 in a 55?  No.  Some would try to make out like going one mile above the posted speed limit is as bad as murder because they have no judgment.  They use absurd arguments like that to try to claim sin is sin, even though Jesus spoke of some sins being weightier than others.  

<snip>

If we are talking about blatant speeders who are weaving in and out of traffic, and running 10 or more miles over the speed limit all the time because they are impatient or for kicks, I do see that as a sin and disobeying the laws of the land.  I don't see it as violating the weightier matters of the law, but that doesn't matter.  Jesus said we should be concerned with even the least commandments in scripture if we want to be great in his Kingdom.  This is just my opinion.  I am sure there are those who will say that if you ever go over the posted limit by even a single mile per hour, you sinned.  Good luck with that.  

Agreed.  :thumbsup:

I'm not saying this is an exception to the rules, but in my area going the speed limit could get you killed. People will run up and nearly rear end you because many here do at least 10 over the speed limit everywhere. I'm not saying this is right, but I generally go with the flow of traffic to avoid being a hazard from being that guy that's going too slow. There are still those who blow by at 20 or more over the limit because apparently 10 over is just, "Too Slow!" That isn't right.

47 minutes ago, Scott Free said:

The worse part of speeding habitually is not breaking the law, it is the impatience and the lack of consideration for other people. Those who are always late and can not effectively manage time show striking similarities to people with mental disorders.

IDK Scott...I found your post intriguing and simple enough for me to understand...but I personally know a brilliant lady, an attorney, who has utmost consideration for other people, and who cannot abide other's inconsiderateness. Her patience is always tried, she's late most of the time, and obsessed with managing time efficiently because of her business. And she would never wittingly break the law! Contradictory but not md (?)

Edited by In Him

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  332
  • Content Per Day:  0.15

I concur with the posts pointing out other drivers - it's less yourself you have to worry about and more the woman chit-chatting away on her phone and not watching the road. So many times you get people who are very attracted to your rear bumper or people who turn out in front of you and force you to slow down so you don't hit them. I know if i've got someone too near to my rear, i'll speed up a little to try and get them off of me. 

Overall, I think there needs to be a bit more of a standard for drivers. You look at so many people on the road and you wonder how they ever even came to possess a license, much less retain that possession yet still. If you're someone who speeds around and/or has no consideration for other drivers, you have no place being behind the wheel. Maybe give police more of an incentive for petty offenders, because it's those petty offenses that lead to larger offenses - prevent the damage before it happens.

Edited by dr3032

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  88
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  1,276
  • Content Per Day:  0.62

15 minutes ago, In Him said:

IDK Scott...I found your post intriguing and simple enough for me to understand...but I personally know a brilliant lady, an attorney, who has utmost consideration for other people, and who cannot abide other's inconsiderateness. Her patience is always tried, she's late most of the time, and obsessed with managing time efficiently because of her business. And she would never wittingly break the law! Contradictory but not mo. (?)

Hehe, at least she has a professional reason for her haste.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  6,726
  • Content Per Day:  2.85
  • Days Won:  5

Drivers that drive too slow are just as bad as those that go too fast. They never have accidents themselves, but they anger other drivers to the point they do crazy things and wind up wrecking .The slow driver proceeds down the road , oblivious to what they have done

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Content Count:  5,270
  • Content Per Day:  0.97
  • Days Won:  1

The purpose for speed limits is simply to drive safely. It is usually apparent where to drive slow, neighborhoods or schools, and fast on freeways. I do go faster than the crowd.  I worry more about hurting someone through my negligence, whether daydreaming or distracted or speeding. I will go fast to get out of a herd of cars if possible, don't like crowds of crazies and texters. Am amazed the increased frequency of texters I see, and no offense Ladies, but nine out of ten are females. (Don't let them know you see them, or they will show you their IQ). I would rather put up with speeders any day than someone texting or talking on the phone. Causing someone harm from my negligence, would be missing God's target.  Sin.

"The number one cause of car accidents is not a criminal that drove drunk, sped or ran a red light. Distracted drivers are the top cause of car accidents in the U.S. today. A distracted driver is a motorist that diverts his or her attention from the road, usually to talk on a cell phone, send a text message or eat food"

Drivers.com the world's leading drivers site
1.Distracted driving continues to be the number one leading cause of car accidents in America. Talking on the phone, texting, eating, reading, grooming, and talking are just some of the ways drivers get distracted behind the wheel. Drivers who use a hand-held device are 4 times more likely to get into a car accident than drivers that pay attention to the road ahead. Individuals who text message while driving are 23 times more likely to get into an accident. Do not risk your safety or your life. Put everything down and pay attention to the road ahead. It's the single most important thing you can do today to reduce your risk of getting into a car accident.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • This is Worthy 2

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  6,726
  • Content Per Day:  2.85
  • Days Won:  5

Last summer, there were several occasions where I willfully exceeded the speed limit on my Harley just because it felt good. I did not repent.Am I going to Hell?Thanking you in advance....BB

Edited by Blood Bought 1953