• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  956
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,616
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

1 hour ago, Michael37 said:

Good pun, Heybro. The marriages of Christians to unbelievers tend to be a source of trouble, but shock, horror, how many marriages where both are Christians end in divorce? Too many. 

Yes way too many, and it is as sad an experience as it is with all that marry and then part.

BUT it is a common experience to have two unbelievers marry, and then one become a believer in the faith  of Jesus His Gospel, just as it was at the very beginning of the church. It is that which is addressed regarding the faith of one blessing the other and the children of that union. That blessing being reason the believer is not to leave the unbeliever except for when the unbeliever will not accept the believer, and also I would guess in cases of infidelity.

I have know personally a few  believers that have had their spouses reject them as they turned to Christ. Two of them that I have known became leaders within churches, mentors to me in my walk, and missionaries to those of  errant faithing practices of  the groups they had been part of  prior to the reveal of Christ to them by the Holy Spirit.  

Their persistent strength in the face of severe turmoil from spouse and offspring, plus their old community of faith in something other than Jesus'gospel  pulled at them and even threatened them- but it was and is all used by God to the good of those that do believe on Jesus. It was and is a testimony that helps me cling fast to my own dependency on Christ Jesus, as I walk a much easier path then they have. Their suffering  being my gain in security and also to some degree knowledge as they were terrific teachers, one educated in Hebrew and Judaism , the other from a Greek Orthodox background understanding Greek including old Greek language. I absolutely treasure the life experience of having known them,  and  for  their being so kind to me for years, even as they suffered greatly themselves.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers

Marriages are arranged today even,  in some Christian  Church settings, but also in other faithing systems as well. The Latter Day Saints of Jesus Christ  comes to mind. Dating even without a belief system  may not be as common as secular television and those silly reality  presentations portray. Many of us never dated around. We just up and found  a mate and that was that.

My wife to be, as I have shared before, walked past my family's home, wearing her girl scout uniform. And I soon married her till death did us part some 50 years after I first saw her.

I " met " my present bride without dating.  We talked online, met and married, that was that.

• Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  598
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,162
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

12 hours ago, missmuffet said:

You do not think that friends, dating or spouses as being unevenly yoked? Do you not believe that a born again Christian should not be unevenly yolked with an unbeliever?

neither in marriage or close friends that you spend a lot of time around..

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.79
  • Days Won:  226

7 hours ago, other one said:

did you read what I wrote...                I don't think it just includes spouses, but also anyone you hang out with....    including dates..

It was not clear to me.

• Group:  Non-Conformist Theology
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  118
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  4,361
  • Content Per Day:  2.30
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  02/03/1953

On 4/4/2019 at 9:50 AM, Neighbor said:

Where is it recorded that Paul said; don't date unbelievers?

Did Paul discuss "dating" at all?

Are there Bible passages in the old testament or the new regarding  "dating" procedures?

When one dates, one should think it through. Do you want to marry an unbeliever? Isn't it going to cause major problems if you do?

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  39
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Birthday:  08/11/1977

I wonder what Hosea went through in his day, being yoked to a prostitute. I get that there was a bigger picture there, but still..

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Kinison said:

I wonder what Hosea went through in his day, being yoked to a prostitute. I get that there was a bigger picture there, but still..

One is FIRST obedient to God.

5 hours ago, johnthebaptist said:

When one dates, one should think it through. Do you want to marry an unbeliever? Isn't it going to cause major problems if you do?

"Should one date?" is the first question. If the answer is no the second question that  of who to date is moot. To say "in our culture, we date" is not to say  it is God's will that anyone date. Instead it says,  we are doing things our way, and only then asks in light of that how will we make our will look more like it is God's?

To say "we date so date only Christians is the rule" kinda comes out of left field, even in a game of make your own rules for Godliness, if there is no Biblical basis for it.

If one's culture is outside the will of God to start with does one change the culture, ignore the culture, or modify God's will to fit the culture's habits and traits? 

• Group:  Non-Conformist Theology
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  118
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  4,361
  • Content Per Day:  2.30
  • Birthday:  02/03/1953

1 hour ago, Neighbor said:

One is FIRST obedient to God.

"Should one date?" is the first question. If the answer is no the second question that  of who to date is moot. To say "in our culture, we date" is not to say  it is God's will that anyone date. Instead it says,  we are doing things our way, and only then asks in light of that how will we make our will look more like it is God's?

To say "we date so date only Christians is the rule" kinda comes out of left field, even in a game of make your own rules for Godliness, if there is no Biblical basis for it.

If one's culture is outside the will of God to start with does one change the culture, ignore the culture, or modify God's will to fit the culture's habits and traits? 

Should people date? I don't know. Men and women do marry.

• Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  598
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,162
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

6 hours ago, Kinison said:

was the prostitute an unbeliever?

• Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,259
  • Content Per Day:  0.97
  • Days Won:  1

I personally believe it is perfectly fine to date, and necessary, for marriage.
For a Christian it should be another Christian according to scripture that can easily be found.
I would say a very large percentage, if not all Christians here on Worthy dated their spouse.
How else do you get to know somebody? (Yes Neighbor, there is the internet.. 
default_cool2.gif.18e53c92bfe4c4f6c6217453335c456c.gif )
So, what is a date, specifically. When you are with someone in particular, going somewhere, doing something.
My children (believers) met their spouses at church functions and activities. They then went to other activities.
Not to the singles bar, or dance hall. At first together with friends, then just together.
A date can be blessed of God, or maneuvered by the devil. It's what you make it.
It does take time to know someone. This is a huge decision, made before God, for a lifetime.

If someone really likes another, who is lost, and is considering marriage, lead them to Christ.
If Christ is refused, then refuse the idea of marriage with them. Before it's too late.
God will provide that which is needful for marriage.
Wait upon the Lord.