Journey365

Who is the Holy Spirit and the purpose in the trinity?

2 minutes ago, 101G said:

this is correct, the spirit which no man can see. in the OT, God appeared to men, not manifested as he did in the Gospels. and true what was made in the beginning is clearly seen. for man is the "image" of God to come, supportive scripture, Romans 5:14 "Nevertheless death reigned from Adam to Moses, even over them that had not sinned after the similitude of Adam's transgression, who is the figure of him that was to come".  the word "figure" is synonym with "IMAGE". the Lord Jesus is the TRUE IMAGE of God, or the Last Adam. supportive scripture, Hebrews 1:3 "Who being the brightness of his glory, and the express image of his person, and upholding all things by the word of his power, when he had by himself purged our sins, sat down on the right hand of the Majesty on high". the express IMAGE of his, his, his, "person". the Lord Jesus is the IMAGE of the Father in flesh. just as the first Adam was in the IMAGE, not that IMAGE is MANIFESTED. 

PICJAG.

The Holy Spirit did one time let Himself be seen by men's own eyes, in the form of, like a dove. 

Mat 3:16 And Jesus, when he was baptized, went up straightway out of the water: and, lo, the heavens were opened unto him, and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove, and lighting upon him: 

Mar 1:10 And straightway coming up out of the water, he saw the heavens opened, and the Spirit like a dove descending upon him:  

Luk 3:22 And the Holy Ghost descended in a BODILY SHAPE like a dove upon him, and a voice came from heaven, which said, Thou art my beloved Son; in thee I am well pleased. 

1 minute ago, HAZARD said:

The Holy Spirit did one time let Himself be seen by men's own eyes, in the form of, like a dove. 

correct "LIKE", a dove in apperance.

PICJAG.

3 minutes ago, 101G said:

correct "LIKE", a dove in apperance.

PICJAG.

Common sense tells us the Holy Spirit is not a dove, He has a body, soul and a spirit just as the Father and Jesus has, its just that He decided to appear like a dove and descended upon Jesus in the shape of a dove.

7 minutes ago, HAZARD said:

Common sense tells us the Holy Spirit is not a dove, He has a body, soul and a spirit just as the Father and Jesus has, its just that He decided to appear like a dove and descended upon Jesus in the shape of a dove.

are you saying that the Spirit has a spirit? that's three spirits.

PICJAG.

1 minute ago, 101G said:

are you saying that the Spirit has a spirit? that's three spirits.

PICJAG.

Remember this post?

Every living thing has a Body a soul and spirit. The body is the outward form or house in which his soul and spirit dwell, (Gen. 2:7, 19; John 5:28-29; Matt. 27: 52; 1 Cor. 15:34-58; Jas. 2:26; 1 Thess. 5:23; Heb. 10:5-10.
The soul is that invisible part which feels , the seat of his emotions and desires, and which gives him self consciousness and makes him a sentient being (Lev. 23:43; 1 Sam. 22:2; 30:6; 2 Sam. 13:39; 2 Kings 4:27; 23:3; Ps. 107:5, 9, 18, 26; Mark 12:33; Matt. 26:38; John 12:27; Heb. 10:38; Heb. 4:12).

The spirit is that invisible part of all living beings that knows the seat of his intellect, mind and will, and that which gives him self determination and makes him a free moral agent and a rational being (1 Cor. 2;11; Matt. 26:41; Exodus 35:21;Job 38:8, 18; Prov. 20:27; Phil. 1:27; Heb. 4:12; Jas. 2:26; 1 Thess. 5:23).

There are three beings in the Godhead, God the Father, God the Son,[The Word who became flesh], and God the Holy Spirit. They each have their own body, soul, and spirit just as we have, seeing we are created in their image and likeness.

Genesis 1:26 And God said, LET US make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth. 

1 minute ago, HAZARD said:

Remember this post?

Every living thing has a Body a soul and spirit. The body is the outward form or house in which his soul and spirit dwell, (Gen. 2:7, 19; John 5:28-29; Matt. 27: 52; 1 Cor. 15:34-58; Jas. 2:26; 1 Thess. 5:23; Heb. 10:5-10.
The soul is that invisible part which feels , the seat of his emotions and desires, and which gives him self consciousness and makes him a sentient being (Lev. 23:43; 1 Sam. 22:2; 30:6; 2 Sam. 13:39; 2 Kings 4:27; 23:3; Ps. 107:5, 9, 18, 26; Mark 12:33; Matt. 26:38; John 12:27; Heb. 10:38; Heb. 4:12).

The spirit is that invisible part of all living beings that knows the seat of his intellect, mind and will, and that which gives him self determination and makes him a free moral agent and a rational being (1 Cor. 2;11; Matt. 26:41; Exodus 35:21;Job 38:8, 18; Prov. 20:27; Phil. 1:27; Heb. 4:12; Jas. 2:26; 1 Thess. 5:23).

There are three beings in the Godhead, God the Father, God the Son,[The Word who became flesh], and God the Holy Spirit. They each have their own body, soul, and spirit just as we have, seeing we are created in their image and likeness.

Genesis 1:26 And God said, LET US make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth. 

that's three Gods, God is one. as you quoted Genesis 1:2 well let's quote the very next verse. Genesis 1:27 "So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them".

How did "US" and "OUR" turn into "HIS" and "HE"? ........ well. see, it's only ONE God who manifested himself in flesh that was to come as Romans 5:14b states. the same one Person only "diversified" in flesh. 

PICJAG.

• Thumbs Up 1

Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, 101G said:

that's three Gods, God is one. as you quoted Genesis 1:2 well let's quote the very next verse. Genesis 1:27 "So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them".

How did "US" and "OUR" turn into "HIS" and "HE"? ........ well. see, it's only ONE God who manifested himself in flesh that was to come as Romans 5:14b states. the same one Person only "diversified" in flesh. 

PICJAG.

They Are "ONE," In UNITY, in all things, not omnibody.

God the Father has a body with bodily parts as we have and this also proves the Father Son and Holy Spirit are not "ONE in body but 'ONE" in unity in all things.

God has a spirit body with bodily parts like a man. This is proved by hundreds of Scriptures that do not need interpretation. God is a Spirit being, infinite, eternal, immutable, self-existent, omnipresent, omniscient, omnipotent, invisible, impartial, immortal, absolutly holy, full of wisdom, full of knowledge, and just in all things. God is known in Scripture by over two hundred names. He is describes as being like any other person as to having a body, soul, and spirit (Job 13:8; Heb. 1:3 ;  Dan. 7:9-14 ; 10:5-7). He is a spirit being with a body (Dan. 7:9-14 ; 10:5-6 ; 9-19 ; Exodus 24:11 ;  Ezek. 1:26-28 , Acts 7:54-59 ; Rev. 4:2-4 ; 5:1 ; 5-7 ; 22:4-5), shape (John 5:37), form (Phil. 2:5-7, same Greek word as in Mark 16:12, which refers to bodily form); and an image and likeness of a man (Gen. 1:26 ; 9:6 ; Ezek. 1:26-28 ; 1 Cor. 11:7, Jas. 3:9; Dan. 7:9-14 ; 10:5-6).

He has a heart (Gen. 6:6 ; 8:21). hands and fingers (Exod. 31:18, Psalms 8:3-6, Rev. 5:1 ;  6-7),  Nostrils (Ps. 18:8),  mouth (Num. 12:8), lips and tongue Isa. 30:27, feet (Ezek. 1:27 ; Exodus 24:10); eyes, eyelids, sight (Ps. 11:4 ;  18:24 ; 33:18) ; voice (Ps. 29 ;  Rev. 10:3-4 ; Gen. 1) ; breath (Gen. 2:7) ; ears (Ps. 18:6)  ; head, hair, face, arms (Dan. 7:9-14 ; 10:5-19 ;  Rev. 5:1 ; loins (Ezek. 1:26 ; 28; 8:1-4); bodily presence (Gen. 3:8 ;  18:1-22 ; Job 1:6-12 ; 2:1-7 ;  Exodus 24:10-11  ; and many other bodily parts as required by Him to be a person with a body.

God goes from place to place just like any one else (Gen. 3:8 ; 11:5 ;  18:1-22,  33 ; 19:24 ; 32:24-32 ; 35:13 ;  Zech. 14:5 ;  Titus 2:13). God is omnipresent but not omnibody, that is His presence can be felt everywhere but His body is not everywhere. God wears cloths (Dan. 7:9-14 ; 10:5-19 ;  God eats food (Gen. 18:1-22 ;  Exodus 24:11).

There is not one Scripture in the Bible which states that God is intangible, immaterial, without a body, or bodily parts, and passions except John 4:24, “God is a spirit,” and this certainly does not teach that He is without a body. The difference between Spirit and flesh and bone is substance.

The Word, who became flesh, and is now risen, Jesus, now has a glorified flesh and bone body and the scares to prove it;

Luke 24:39, Behold my hands and my feet, that it is I myself: handle me, and see; for a spirit hath not flesh and bones, as ye see me have.

Jesus will carry the wounds forever as a reminder of what He endured to all throughout eternity future!

Zechariah 13:6, And one shall say unto him, What are these wounds in thine hands? Then he shall answer, Those with which I was wounded in the house of my friends.

And where is Jesus now? He is sitting in His glorified flesh and bone body, along side the Father, at His Fathers right hand, in Heaven;

Mark 16:19, "So then after the Lord had spoken unto them, he was received up into heaven, and sat on the right hand of God."

Its doesn't say He is inside the Father because they are omnibody?

And where is the Holy Spirit while Jesus is in Heaven with the Father? Look at this, The Holy Spirit, the third person of the Godhead is on the Earth.

John 14:16, And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever;

John 14:26 But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.

John 15:26 But when the Comforter is come, whom I will send unto you from the Father, even the Spirit of truth, which proceedeth from the Father, he shall testify of me:

John 16:7 Nevertheless I tell you the truth; It is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will send him unto you.

Jesus on Earth praying to His Father, Luke 11:12, who was in Heaven. The Father speaking from Heaven about Jesus, Luke 3:22,  who was on the Earth, Jesus returns to The father in Heaven and the Father sends the Holy Spirit, John 14:16,  to the earth.

That makes three separate divine beings. Remember this?

Genesis 1:26, And God said, LET US make man in OUR image, after OUR likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

Was God talking to Himself? or was He talking to the Word who was with Him in the beginning with God and who was also God, and He was also talking to the Holy Spirit? That's God the Father, God the Word, now Jesus, and God the Holy Spirit.

Edited by HAZARD

Joh 10v30 I and my Father are ONE.  That is ...up to pres....2 Persons - not 3.  They share the SAME SPIRIT which makes them ONE. WE also are given a small amount/deposit,downpayment of their Holy Spirit so we can grow IN IT and BECOME GOD-MINDED as they are Eph 1v13, 14.  In time there will be MANY Persons sharing GOD's Holy Spirit AND BE ONE WITH HIM in HIS Kingdom. HOLY SPIRIT is the COhesive  POWER of God .....not a Person. By this Power God either Unites or Separates whatever HE wants to do.

13 hours ago, Betha said:

Joh 10v30 I and my Father are ONE.  That is ...up to pres....2 Persons - not 3.  They share the SAME SPIRIT which makes them ONE. WE also are given a small amount/deposit,downpayment of their Holy Spirit so we can grow IN IT and BECOME GOD-MINDED as they are Eph 1v13, 14.  In time there will be MANY Persons sharing GOD's Holy Spirit AND BE ONE WITH HIM in HIS Kingdom. HOLY SPIRIT is the COhesive  POWER of God .....not a Person. By this Power God either Unites or Separates whatever HE wants to do.

Jesus called the Holy Spirit, "HE," This statement alone proves the Holy Ghost is a separate and distinct person and a member of the Godhead.

John 14:26, But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, the Father will send in my name, "HE" shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you. 

John 15:26, But when the Comforter is come, whom I will send unto you from the Father, even the Spirit of truth, which proceedeth from the Father,  "HE" shall testify of me: 

"HE" is a person, a member of the Godhead, not a spiritual thing.

1 John 5:7, For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and THE HOLY GHOST: and these three are one. One or two persons cannot bear record, or be three witnesses in any court in earth or in heaven.

When we baptise we baptise In the name of the father, AND of the Son, AND of the Holy Ghost. The word and means there are three separate beings we are baptised in the name of.

On 7/19/2019 at 2:58 PM, Takoda said:

The Doctrine of the Trinity is one of the most confusing and divisive issues in all of Christianity. It is certainly never mentioned in the Bible

The New Catholic Encyclopedia: "The formulation ‘one God in three persons’ was not solidly established, certainly not fully assimilated into Christian life and its profession of faith, prior to the end of the 4th century. But it is precisely this formula that has first claim to the title of the Trinitarian dogma. Among the Apostolic Fathers, there had been nothing even remotely approaching such a mentality or perspective." – (1967), Vol. XIV, p. 299.

For many years I have struggled to understand the doctrine of the trinity. To say it is a mystery that we are not expected to comprehend simply doesn't cut it for me. Some time ago I discovered that in the original formulation of the trinity, the word in Greek which we traditionally have interpreted to mean "persons", as in "three persons in one God" is actually the same word used to designate the mask worn by actors in Greco-Roman theater. We cannot call this a "person" but we can certainly call it a "persona". This insight has put a totally new spin on the entire concept for me. We finite creatures cannot possibly hope to describe our transcendent God, but we can speak of the modes or roles or personae that assist our understanding. God as creator/father, God as spirit/sustainer, and the glimpse of God we obtain in the life and teaching of Jesus. In other words, trinity is not a description of God but is, rather, a description of the human experience of God in the language of fourth century Greek speaking Christianity. We are not limited to just these three. Any persona that promotes our understanding of and our relationship to God is completely acceptable. God could be mother as well as father. God could be Wisdom / Word / Allah / Krishna / Manitou. God's possibilities are endless. These are merely our human images of God. God is, as always, ONE.

I prayed about this question, ie. Is the Trinity of God the Father, Jesus and the Holy Spirit mentioned in the Bible", and "yes" it is referred to in the Bible as the Elohim was the answer I received.  The Elohim is the trinity.

I did some research and here is one article that mentions this in passing.

Article:  link here

quote: 

"Another interesting aspect of the name Elohim is that it is, in fact, a plural. Does this mean this is a clear reference to the Trinity? While that cannot be disproven, it also could not be proven from the plurality. Many scholars refer to this as a divine plural. I, however, agree with John Frame that this is a plural of abstraction:

“…that is, ‘a more or less intensive focusing of the characteristics inherent in the idea of the stem…rendered in English by forms in –hood, -ness, -ship”...Hebrew uses the plural form for abstract nouns such as youth, old age, maidenhood, and life. It may also (or alternatively) carry some force as a plural of amplication. Usually found in poetry, this plural is an emphatic statement of the root idea, as might and counsel.”" end quote