• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  597
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,117
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

7 minutes ago, Figure of eighty said:

Yes we definitely are but I don't want to live in fear so I'll do my best to not be vulnerable. Also think of getting mace and a stun gun..or maybe just mace to put in my purse I think that should do.

I would never trust my or my family's safety to a stun gun.  Even a taser will often not work if a person is high on drugs, and mace will not stop someone who is hell bent on doing you harm or if there is more than one....

But there is one important thing you must do before starting to carry a gun.....   if there is any reluctance in using it then you should not have it.....    if you are in a situation that you can legally use it any hesitation will get you killed and you must make up your mind that you are ok with taking someone's life....   and I would hope that is not an easy thing to decide. 

• Thumbs Up 2
  • This is Worthy 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  241
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  1,558
  • Content Per Day:  0.77
  • Days Won:  0

5 minutes ago, Dennis1209 said:

To each his or her own. Personally, I wouldn't use or recommend the alternates you mention for reasons to numerous to go into detail on. The goal is your survival and to stop the threat by the quickest means possible. Do a little research on the chemicals / stun guns and there failure rates and non effectiveness before you commit. 

You don't think mace or stun guns work? I personally would like to use mace first before a gun, you know as a warning.

Just now, other one said:

I would never trust my or my family's safety to a stun gun.  Even a taser will often not work if a person is high on drugs, and mace will not stop someone who is hell bent on doing you harm or if there is more than one....

But there is one important thing you must do before starting to carry a gun.....   if there is any reluctance in using it then you should not have it.....    if you are in a situation that you can legally use it any hesitation will get you killed and you must make up your mind that you are ok with taking someone's life....   and I would hope that is not an easy thing to decide. 

Ive always been uneasy with guns-- however I always told myself If I had to shoot someone I'd shoot the extremities like the legs or arms ect. 

Also if I have any unease and the other options like stun gun and mace isn't as effective then what will I do?

1 minute ago, Figure of eighty said:

Yeah. definitely gonna take some classes, not just for self defense but I feel it'll help my confidence as well.

a good self defense class will teach you that there are many circumstances when it is better not to use a gun for defense even if you have one.....    knives fall into that situation and if the other person is within three feet of you it is safer to take his/her gun away from them than to try some quick draw theater stuff.

• Thumbs Up 2

4 minutes ago, Figure of eighty said:

You don't think mace or stun guns work? I personally would like to use mace first before a gun, you know as a warning.

if you are in a situation where you can legally use a gun, mace will just get you killed by your own gun.

and at least in Oklahoma if you pull a weapon on someone you had better shoot them because it is still illegal to threaten someone with a gun....   you have to be in a situation where imminent life or serious body damage before you can legally pull a gun on someone....   and in some states if it is possible to run away you still can't use deadly force....    Most west coast states are that case.   That's the reason you need a really good carry class to understand your state's laws for they are not all the same.

Also if you cross state lines they can be different.    When we go through California I always call the LA sheriff's office and ask what the rules are for transporting an unloaded weapon across the state just so I know they haven't changed something.  New York just don't go there..

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, other one said:

if you are in a situation where you can legally use a gun, mace will just get you killed by your own gun.

and at least in Oklahoma if you pull a weapon on someone you had better shoot them because it is still illegal to threaten someone with a gun....   you have to be in a situation where imminent life or serious body damage before you can legally pull a gun on someone....   and in some states if it is possible to run away you still can't use deadly force....    Most west coast states are that case.   That's the reason you need a really good carry class to understand your state's laws for they are not all the same.

Also if you cross state lines they can be different.    When we go through California I always call the LA sheriff's office and ask what the rules are for transporting an unloaded weapon across the state just so I know they haven't changed something.  New York just don't go there..

Oh yeah. definitely gonna take the classes-- but why would mace get me killed by my own gun? But I definitely don't plan on going trigger crazy, I'm definitely not a gun person at all I just need protection that's all I'm doing is protecting myself and my baby that's it.

8 minutes ago, Figure of eighty said:

Ive always been uneasy with guns-- however I always told myself If I had to shoot someone I'd shoot the extremities like the legs or arms ect. 

Also if I have any unease and the other options like stun gun and mace isn't as effective then what will I do?

Take the carry class and use one of their loaner weapons and they will show you the answers to that.....   if someone is going to hurt you or your kids you do not want to just shoot them in the arm...   It is extremely difficult to do that and bullets go through arms and legs and may hurt someone behind them....   Two shots center mass and let God decide if they live or die.

Most people that are shot do not die from it...    Last week end there were 40 people shot in Chicago...   only 8 died...

• Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.88
  • Content Count:  43,795
  • Content Per Day:  6.21
  • Days Won:  58

1 hour ago, Figure of eighty said:

I've always been against guns (Personally, I don't care if the next person owns them) they've always rubbed me the wrong way personally...

However, since I'm gonna have a little one I feel I need to not only be able to protect him but myself as well.  If and when I get a gun it'll be a small one I'm comfy with

like a pistol or something.

Just wondering what are some steps in becoming a gun owner. 

Thanks

I am all for the right to bear arms in the us, but I think it is not a good idea for someone with a young child to own guns. I am assuming that since you are getting it for the idea of protecting you and your child, that you will have it accessible and not locked up in a gun safe all the time. There is a greater risk of your child getting hurt by your gun than your chances of using it to protect you and your child.

• Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.88
  • Content Count:  43,795
  • Content Per Day:  6.21
  • Days Won:  58

18 minutes ago, Figure of eighty said:

And that right there is a good reason for you not to have a gun. As other one pointed out, any hesitation on your part will get you hurt or killed.

• This is Worthy 1

1 minute ago, ayin jade said:

I am all for the right to bear arms in the us, but I think it is not a good idea for someone with a young child to own guns. I am assuming that since you are getting it for the idea of protecting you and your child, that you will have it accessible and not locked up in a gun safe all the time. There is a greater risk of your child getting hurt by your gun than your chances of using it to protect you and your child.

I definitely won't put it where he could get it. I'd put it on a high shelf and at 1or 2 he can't reach much of anything.