douge

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  6,726
  • Content Per Day:  2.87
  • Days Won:  5

I have heard it said that Jesus spend 3 and a half years with Paul in the  desert .That number was no accident.Jesus spent that same amount of time with His disciples  in His Earthly Ministry.People were always trying to compare the two— who knew the most or who had the most authority.The fact that Jesus spent equal time with Paul at least took away the argument that the disciples were superior because of all the time Jesus spent with them.I have also heard it said it took that long with Paul to get the “ Pharisee” out of him.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,264
  • Content Per Day:  0.97
  • Days Won:  1

18 minutes ago, unworthyservant said:

First, I accept the writings of the entire Bible, I just don't like to assign to Christ any that He didn't actually say. I don't pick or choose and if you'll read some of my other posts you'll see that those who do are a pet peeve of mine. I don't pick and choose but rather put things in perspective. So, if the words of Paul are seen in the light of the context of the words of Christ, then they can be better understood than the other way around. You mention the amount of words and while I haven't done a count, I'll take your word on that and just say that however many there are, I believe that the words of Christ are the most important ones in the New Testament and so all others should be seen in context of them and not the other way around. That's all.

I can understand you better with that clarification. There are some groups stating Paul was only using his own words, and not inspired. But when he did those few times, he clarified them. If you can set aside any prejudices, you will realize God uses all kinds of people and other beings to proclaim His word, including an ass.  (no, not I :)

"Numbers 22:28  Then the Lord opened the mouth of the donkey, and she said to Balaam, “What have I done to you, that you have struck me these three times?”

""God reveals himself naturally through his creation. "Since the creation of the world His invisible attributes are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even His eternal power and Godhead" (Romans 1:20). "The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament shows His handiwork" (Psalms 19:1).

"In the Old Testament, God sometimes revealed himself directly. He spoke to Adam (Genesis 3:9-19), to Cain (Genesis 4:6-15), to Noah (Genesis 6:13 – 9:17), to Abraham (Genesis 12:1-3, 7), to Moses (Exodus 33:11), to Samuel (1 Samuel 3:2-14), and others"

"To Job, God revealed himself in a whirlwind (Job 38:1). To Moses, the Angel of God revealed himself in an unconsumed flame of fire in a burning bush (Exodus 3:1-2). To Balaam, the Angel of God revealed himself through a talking donkey (above) (Numbers 22:28-35). To Gideon, God certified his will through fleece (Judges 6:36-40). To Elijah, God revealed himself through a still small voice (1 Kings 19:13). Sometimes God revealed himself through dreams. This he did to Abimelech (Genesis 20:3), to Pharoah (Genesis 41:25), to Nebuchadnezzar (Daniel 2:28), and others. Through visions, God revealed himself to Jacob (Genesis 46:2), Ezekiel (Ezekiel 1:1) and others. Sometimes God revealed himself through his mighty acts, as he did when he sent the plagues against the Egyptians (Exodus 10:1-2). He dried up the Red Sea (Exodus 14:15-30), he fed manna to the Israelites in the wilderness (Deuteronomy 8:3) and he enabled the Israelites to conquer the land of Canaan (Joshua; Psalm 105). Sometimes God revealed his will through priests and prophets. On occasion, God revealed himself through Urim and Thummin which were used by the priests (Numbers 27:21; Ezra 2:63; Nehemiah 7:65). Moreover, God revealed his message through his servants the prophets (2 Kings 17:23; 21:10; 24:2; Jeremiah 25:4; Daniel 9:10; Amos 3:7; Hosea 12:10). Sometimes God instructed that his word be written (Exodus 17:14; 34:27; Deuteronomy 17:18; 27:3, 8; Jeremiah 36:2). And sometimes God revealed himself, his commandments and his promises, through having his word read (Exodus 24:7; Deuteronomy 17:19; 31:9-13; Joshua 8:33-35; Nehemiah 8:1-5)"

"In New Testament times as well as the Old, God revealed himself and his will in miraculous ways. Through angels, God revealed events related to the birth of Jesus (Matthew 1:20-23; 2:13; Luke 1:11-20; 26-38; 2:9-14). God’s will for apostolic activity was sometimes directed through angels (Acts 5:19-20; 12:6-11; 27:23-24)"

"However, the primary way God revealed himself in New Testament times was through his son. "God, who at various times and in various ways spoke in time past to the fathers by the prophets, has in these last days spoken to us by His Son" (Hebrews 1:1). Jesus was the word of God personified. "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God"

"Through his Holy Spirit, God endowed certain persons, such as Zacharias and John the Baptist (Luke 1:67-80; 3:2), with the ability to know and proclaim his word. Jesus promised that his disciples would be guided into all truth by the Spirit of truth and that he would tell them of things to come (John 16:13). He promised that they should not be concerned about what to say when brought before authorities because "the Holy Spirit will teach you in that very hour what you ought to say" (Luke 12:12). The apostles’ speech and preaching "were not with persuasive words of human wisdom, but in demonstration of the Spirit and of power" (1 Corinthians 2:2). Paul declared that "the word preached was not the word of men, but as it is in truth, the word of God, which also effectively works in you who believe" (1 Thessalonians 2:13). Peter wrote that "no prophecy of Scripture is of any private interpretation, for prophecy never came by the will of man, but holy men of God spoke as they were moved by the Holy Spirit" (2 Peter 1:21).

"Although the miracles that accompanied Jesus and the apostles no longer occur, God still reveals himself through his written word. He also reveals himself by providing for those who trust and obey him. (a biggie) Faithful people, like Abraham, know that God will provide (Genesis 22:8, 14). When we pray to God for guidance, we expect first that God will require us to abide by principles revealed in scripture, and second that God will either open doors for us to enter or close doors where we should not go. God reveals his caring nature when he says that if we trust and acknowledge him, he will "direct our paths" (Proverbs 3:5-6; see also Matthew 6:25-24). People who have faithfully committed themselves to God know from experience that God has revealed to them his loving character. They are also ready to affirm from their experiences in faith that God does indeed exist"

I have never considered any word of scripture of any higher credibility than any other. They all come from God.......duh!!!!

• Praise God! 1

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  96
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  645
  • Content Per Day:  0.37
  • Days Won:  0

1 minute ago, Willa said:

To say that Paul was prone to error in his writing is much more misleading to new Christians.  

I NEVER said that Paul was prone to error! All I'm saying is that from my perspective I feel God has led me to read the words of Paul (and all others) in the light of the context of the words of Christ and not the other way around, so I feel that we should be careful not to use phrases like "the teachings or the words of Christ" when quoting Paul (unless as context, not as a direct statement). As you so eloquently state, if nothing else, it could be misleading to new Christians

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  96
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  645
  • Content Per Day:  0.37
  • Days Won:  0

3 minutes ago, Sower said:

I can understand you better with that clarification. There are some groups stating Paul was only using his own words, and not inspired. But when he did those few times, he clarified them. If you can set aside any prejudices, you will realize God uses all kinds of people and other beings to proclaim His word, including an ass.  (no, not I :)

"Numbers 22:28  Then the Lord opened the mouth of the donkey, and she said to Balaam, “What have I done to you, that you have struck me these three times?”

""God reveals himself naturally through his creation. "Since the creation of the world His invisible attributes are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even His eternal power and Godhead" (Romans 1:20). "The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament shows His handiwork" (Psalms 19:1).

"In the Old Testament, God sometimes revealed himself directly. He spoke to Adam (Genesis 3:9-19), to Cain (Genesis 4:6-15), to Noah (Genesis 6:13 – 9:17), to Abraham (Genesis 12:1-3, 7), to Moses (Exodus 33:11), to Samuel (1 Samuel 3:2-14), and others"

"To Job, God revealed himself in a whirlwind (Job 38:1). To Moses, the Angel of God revealed himself in an unconsumed flame of fire in a burning bush (Exodus 3:1-2). To Balaam, the Angel of God revealed himself through a talking donkey (above) (Numbers 22:28-35). To Gideon, God certified his will through fleece (Judges 6:36-40). To Elijah, God revealed himself through a still small voice (1 Kings 19:13). Sometimes God revealed himself through dreams. This he did to Abimelech (Genesis 20:3), to Pharoah (Genesis 41:25), to Nebuchadnezzar (Daniel 2:28), and others. Through visions, God revealed himself to Jacob (Genesis 46:2), Ezekiel (Ezekiel 1:1) and others. Sometimes God revealed himself through his mighty acts, as he did when he sent the plagues against the Egyptians (Exodus 10:1-2). He dried up the Red Sea (Exodus 14:15-30), he fed manna to the Israelites in the wilderness (Deuteronomy 8:3) and he enabled the Israelites to conquer the land of Canaan (Joshua; Psalm 105). Sometimes God revealed his will through priests and prophets. On occasion, God revealed himself through Urim and Thummin which were used by the priests (Numbers 27:21; Ezra 2:63; Nehemiah 7:65). Moreover, God revealed his message through his servants the prophets (2 Kings 17:23; 21:10; 24:2; Jeremiah 25:4; Daniel 9:10; Amos 3:7; Hosea 12:10). Sometimes God instructed that his word be written (Exodus 17:14; 34:27; Deuteronomy 17:18; 27:3, 8; Jeremiah 36:2). And sometimes God revealed himself, his commandments and his promises, through having his word read (Exodus 24:7; Deuteronomy 17:19; 31:9-13; Joshua 8:33-35; Nehemiah 8:1-5)"

"In New Testament times as well as the Old, God revealed himself and his will in miraculous ways. Through angels, God revealed events related to the birth of Jesus (Matthew 1:20-23; 2:13; Luke 1:11-20; 26-38; 2:9-14). God’s will for apostolic activity was sometimes directed through angels (Acts 5:19-20; 12:6-11; 27:23-24)"

"However, the primary way God revealed himself in New Testament times was through his son. "God, who at various times and in various ways spoke in time past to the fathers by the prophets, has in these last days spoken to us by His Son" (Hebrews 1:1). Jesus was the word of God personified. "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God"

"Through his Holy Spirit, God endowed certain persons, such as Zacharias and John the Baptist (Luke 1:67-80; 3:2), with the ability to know and proclaim his word. Jesus promised that his disciples would be guided into all truth by the Spirit of truth and that he would tell them of things to come (John 16:13). He promised that they should not be concerned about what to say when brought before authorities because "the Holy Spirit will teach you in that very hour what you ought to say" (Luke 12:12). The apostles’ speech and preaching "were not with persuasive words of human wisdom, but in demonstration of the Spirit and of power" (1 Corinthians 2:2). Paul declared that "the word preached was not the word of men, but as it is in truth, the word of God, which also effectively works in you who believe" (1 Thessalonians 2:13). Peter wrote that "no prophecy of Scripture is of any private interpretation, for prophecy never came by the will of man, but holy men of God spoke as they were moved by the Holy Spirit" (2 Peter 1:21).

"Although the miracles that accompanied Jesus and the apostles no longer occur, God still reveals himself through his written word. He also reveals himself by providing for those who trust and obey him. (a biggie) Faithful people, like Abraham, know that God will provide (Genesis 22:8, 14). When we pray to God for guidance, we expect first that God will require us to abide by principles revealed in scripture, and second that God will either open doors for us to enter or close doors where we should not go. God reveals his caring nature when he says that if we trust and acknowledge him, he will "direct our paths" (Proverbs 3:5-6; see also Matthew 6:25-24). People who have faithfully committed themselves to God know from experience that God has revealed to them his loving character. They are also ready to affirm from their experiences in faith that God does indeed exist"

I have never considered any word of scripture of any higher credibility than any other. They all come from God.......duh!!!!

Wow, that's a little much for this old man to digest quickly at this moment but I assure you that when I get a second wind, I'll return and try to sort through it all and reply if necessary.

• Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  186
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,247
  • Content Per Day:  3.33
  • Days Won:  30

5 minutes ago, unworthyservant said:

I NEVER said that Paul was prone to error! All I'm saying is that from my perspective I feel God has led me to read the words of Paul (and all others) in the light of the context of the words of Christ and not the other way around, so I feel that we should be careful not to use phrases like "the teachings or the words of Christ" when quoting Paul (unless as context, not as a direct statement). As you so eloquently state, if nothing else, it could be misleading to new Christians

Forgive me.  However, both are the words of God the Holy Spirit, and all should be considered the word of God.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, unworthyservant said:

Unless we are told otherwise, as Willa pointed out, Paul was the One that Jesus used to speak for him after he ascended to Heaven......If Paul said it- Jesus said it.Paul’s words could and probably “ should” be in red .

• Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, maryjayne said:

Possibly stupid post alert;

Are you saying that the whole Bible is Jesus/Gods words, and the red print in my Bible is just the words Jesus spoke in his earthly life?

I am still struggling with Paul not being the antichrist.

Could you elaborate on the Paul/ antichrist thing......I bet that would be interesting....

• Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  186
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,247
  • Content Per Day:  3.33
  • Days Won:  30

18 minutes ago, Sower said:

A lady once told me that if God could speak out of the mouth of a donkey, He could use me as well.  I'm still not sure what she meant by that.

• Loved it! 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,185
  • Content Per Day:  0.27
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  02/19/1971

@unworthyservant I get it, but the words of Paul are just as sure and steadfast as if Christ spoke them himself. In fact, all the letters in the New Testament are the very words of God revealed through men. It is God behind every book making sure his Son gets the full glory. Like others have said, Paul acknowledged when it was his own determining on a matter, and even that was right council it just was not law or a command. Apostles had that kind of authority.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  14
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,979
  • Content Per Day:  0.98
  • Days Won:  1

On 8/24/2019 at 1:24 PM, unworthyservant said:

I agree that in a way Paul's take is Christ's take, but it's really in the end Paul's take on Christ's teachings. I guess I should maybe say Paul's commentary on Christ's teaching instead of using the word "take"

Paul was just the human instrument the Holy Spirit used to put the quill to the page recording for us  what He was hearing Jesus saying to us.

But the Comforter, which is the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in My name, He shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.  John 14:26

• Praise God! 1