• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  599
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,246
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

On 9/29/2019 at 3:21 PM, Melinda12 said:

A situation. A couple have been living together unmarried for years. Then one becomes a Christian. The other is not yet willing to do the same. But they do now decide to get married as they are in love and could not possibly bear to part - though only one is a follower of Christ. 

Are they now both acceptable in the sight of God? The uneven yoking will be a problem but is it still a sin? 

A young couple like this need advice from experienced Christians please. 

if they have been living together sexually for years and are happy with each other tell them to get married tomorrow.   It isn't a sin to marry a non believer but is not wise to do so in most instances.....    but this is not just two people passing in the night.  They have a relationship of marriage life and if they love each other and want to be together they should go for it.    And that's the gospel according to Sam...

• Thumbs Up 2

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  69
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,625
  • Content Per Day:  0.79
  • Days Won:  1

11 minutes ago, Melinda12 said:

I don't like judgmental inflexible christianity. No good can come of it.

Amen.  Yes, many proclaim "Grace" and "Jesus plus nothing".  Yet, strangely, when it comes to being unequally yoked and the subject of divorce they can become very legalistic and judgemental. 

I think the Bible is written in such a remarkable way.  Its true meaning is read in its context, as a whole.  However, many take a verse here, a verse there or exposit a teaching in the new testament without any regard for the old.  The Bible has been written in such an ingenious way that it can lead some into light or darkness, depending on their respect and heart attitude towards it., Yahweh and others. 

It seems you have a heart for mercy and so you've detected there must be a way.  I believe so to.  I understand that from the context of the Bible's many teachings, not getting legalistic with chapter and verse numbers.  I could give them, but if we treat this relationship as a lawsuit, who is to say that the Father will not treat our own relationships in the same way?   

So then, give more respect to your instinct than any advice you get in this forum! (except for that advice ;P)  

Love & Shalom

• Followers:  25
  • Topic Count:  61
  • Content Count:  9,606
  • Content Per Day:  3.95
  • Days Won:  21

On 9/29/2019 at 9:21 PM, Melinda12 said:

A situation. A couple have been living together unmarried for years. Then one becomes a Christian. The other is not yet willing to do the same. But they do now decide to get married as they are in love and could not possibly bear to part - though only one is a follower of Christ. 

Are they now both acceptable in the sight of God? The uneven yoking will be a problem but is it still a sin? 

A young couple like this need advice from experienced Christians please. 

You might get conflicting ideas here, since often even those that pretend they hate legalistic things, might impose some unnecessary burdens on you (them).

To be married in God's eyes is the pivotal point here. So get some kind of ceremony and do it properly in a Christian manner.

Legally, yes unfortunately since 'the state' always wants a finger in every pie. So get that legal paper too.

Now the believer sanctifies the home and any children (yes, even the unbeliever). If the believer is the female, then she must know and accept this because that is God's thought on the matter. And the unbelieving man, even though an unbeliever, is the head of the household.

Maybe the woman can win him over by her gentle love and respect... time will tell. It may not be as easy as it sounds, but 'they' should do it anyway.

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  958
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,675
  • Content Per Day:  5.04
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

No one goes backwards in time. And no one can unring a bell. 

Praise God that one has heard and heeded the call to repentance and the turning to Jesus as Lord and savior. Pray that the other will also, but even if they do not, because of the one that has the children are protected should there become any by this union. 

May God further bless their union!

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  75
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,399
  • Content Per Day:  0.43

On 10/1/2019 at 7:53 PM, BeauJangles said:

You said marrying an unbeliever was a sin, and scriptures have already been posted to the otherwise. Your turn to submit them since only opinions have been given so far. Be my guest.

I read No scriptures that declared a Christian deciding to marry an unbeliever not to be sin..  None of the scriptures you provided supported that stance.. None at all..

2 minutes ago, Adstar said:

I read No scriptures that declared a Christian deciding to marry an unbeliever not to be sin..  None of the scriptures you provided supported that stance.. None at all..

Trying to prove a negative is difficult. Stick with the concepts in scripture rather than dogmatic stuff.

You have also to make sure the CONTEXT of anything you quote is relevant.

A text out of context is a pretext.

5 minutes ago, Justin Adams said:

Trying to prove a negative is difficult. Stick with the concepts in scripture rather than dogmatic stuff.

You have also to make sure the CONTEXT of anything you quote is relevant.

A text out of context is a pretext.

The scriptures i quoted about not being yoked with an unbeliever should be enough to support my position that Christians should never marry an unbeliever.. I have asked for scripture to be quoted that supports the belief that a Christian marrying an unbeliever is ok with God.. None has been provided.. Only personal slander against me saying i reject the Word of God.. 

3 minutes ago, Adstar said:

The scriptures i quoted about not being yoked with an unbeliever should be enough to support my position that Christians should never marry an unbeliever.. I have asked for scripture to be quoted that supports the belief that a Christian marrying an unbeliever is ok with God.. None has been provided.. Only personal slander against me saying i reject the Word of God.. 

That is all very well. I understand you, but these hypothetical people were ALREADY joined in a kind of 'common law' marriage. So to heap stuff onto them is not probably the best way to go.

Did you read my suggestion? If someone does not agree with you it is NOT 'personal slander'. So do not go off half-cocked and get upset over nothing. See the context of the situation.

The context might be the woman at the well in Sumeria..  check it out.

• Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  100
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  41,341
  • Content Per Day:  7.99
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

The answer lies in this passage of Scripture:

2 Cor 6:14-7:1

14 Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness?

15 And what concord hath Christ with Belial? or what part hath he that believeth with an infidel?

16 And what agreement hath the temple of God with idols? for ye are the temple of the living God; as God hath said, I will dwell in them, and walk in them; and I will be their God, and they shall be my people.

17 Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the Lord, and touch not the unclean thing; and I will receive you,

18 And will be a Father unto you, and ye shall be my sons and daughters, saith the Lord Almighty.

7 Having therefore these promises, dearly beloved, let us cleanse ourselves from all filthiness of the flesh and spirit, perfecting holiness in the fear of God.
KJV

• Praise God! 1

1 minute ago, Justin Adams said:

That is all very well. I understand you, but these hypothetical people were ALREADY joined in a kind of 'common law' marriage. So to heap stuff onto them is not probably the best way to go.

Did you read my suggestion? If someone does not agree with you it is NOT 'personal slander'. So do not go off half-cocked and get upset over nothing. See the context of the situation.

The context might be the woman at the well in Sumeria..  check it out.

I am not talking.. And have never talked in this thread about people who where married to an unbeliever BEFORE they became Christians... I am talking ONLY about the case of a Christian who decides to marry an unbeliever AFTER they have become a Christian..

I NEVER stated that a person having an opposing opinion of me was personal slander..

This Quote below IS personal slander

Sooo... You're right and the gospel is of no apparent truth to you? Gotcha

So when someone makes the accusation to a Christian that the Gospel is of no apparent truth to that Christian what are they calling them?  An Anti-christ? A rejector of the Gospel ?   Yep i think so..  Would you like it if someone made such a Public accusation like that against you in a public forum Justin??