• Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  118
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  4,361
  • Content Per Day:  2.31
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  02/03/1953

8 minutes ago, ReneeIW said:

The Pope admitted earlier this year that nuns had complained of sexual harassment and being forced to have abortions after being impregnated by priests. 

But how wide a scale?

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  42
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  944
  • Content Per Day:  0.54

51 minutes ago, johnthebaptist said:

But how wide a scale?

There were four countries listed where the harassment took place. It was a wide enough scale that he had to comment on it.

The bottom line is that abuse takes place everywhere, but the church seems to be good at keeping people silent and covering it up. The church should be the one place where abuse does not take place, the salt and the light, setting an example for everyone else. But unfortunately, they are no different than any other institution, maybe even worse, when it comes to accountability and protecting the victims.  

• This is Worthy 1

• Group:  Non-Conformist Theology
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  118
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  4,361
  • Content Per Day:  2.31
  • Birthday:  02/03/1953

5 minutes ago, ReneeIW said:

There were four countries listed where the harassment took place. It was a wide enough scale that he had to comment on it.

The bottom line is that abuse takes place everywhere, but the church seems to be good at keeping people silent and covering it up. The church should be the one place where abuse does not take place, the salt and the light, setting an example for everyone else. But unfortunately, they are no different than any other institution, maybe even worse, when it comes to accountability and protecting the victims.  

What institution does Satan more enjoy leading astray than the church, and what institution will Satan try harder to put in a bad light than the church?

Edited by johnthebaptist

• Group:  Catholic
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  591
  • Content Per Day:  0.34

13 hours ago, wingnut- said:

I think a lot of this stems from the Catholic policy of not allowing priests to marry, and that is why it is not as prevalent in Protestant denominations.

that is a myth and doesn't make sense if you think about it. I know for one thing that celibacy, if done right (meaning: fully accepted, not just grudgingly) is a very good thing.. you give yourself completely to God and no one else. I know, I have been celibate by choice for many, many years. One reason I chose it is that I could never find anyone "worthy" of me to marry.. long story there but I won't digress. Let's put it another way, though: I wasn't about to spend the rest of my life.. [fill in the blanks] so none of the persons I met "qualified" so I just accepted celibacy and it has been a good thing. At first, my body didn't "appreciate" it but Jesus can conquer even those kinds of things :) 

so anyway, here's a statistic i heard once (reliable source bc that's the only kind I cite): Married men abuse children more than single men. 

Also, there are PLENTY of non-Catholics who abause children and in fact, I have heard from MORE THAN ONE reliable source that the number is: twice as high as  it is in non- Catholic churches. 

the reason the Catholics get so much attn. is: the liberal media hates the Catholic Church

so does the devil but again.. I won't digress

Edited by createdequal

3 hours ago, johnthebaptist said:

What institution does Satan more enjoy leading astray than the church, and what institution will Satan try harder to put in a bad light than the church?

The Bible tells up to come out from among them and be separate from them. People continue to go to and support these churches were there has been systematic abuse. You can’t blame the devil for everything. We’re told  to resist him, be alert, etc. etc.

We are not holding these people accountable. They have our money to cover up their abuse and to bring lawsuits against victims wishing to come forward. 

Edited by ReneeIW
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, createdequal said:

the reason the Catholics get so much attn. is: the liberal media hates the Catholic Church

They got so much attention last year because of the Pennsylvania Grand Jury report that came out about hundreds of priests raping thousands of kids and some used “whips, violence and sadism in raping their kids,” the Grand Jury wrote.

December of last year the Illinois Attorney  General released a report about 500 priests accused of rape. I’m not a fan of the media either, but they didn’t order these  investigations. 

• This is Worthy 1

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  898
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Days Won:  1

- deleted by poster-

Edited by just_abc

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  23
  • Topic Count:  133
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2,864
  • Content Per Day:  0.62
  • Days Won:  2

The part that really upsets people is when a church attempts to cover their tracks in order to save face instead of having the offender step down from his position of leadership or even turning the offender over to the police and courts to be dealt with. Church autonomy is being used to save face in a lot of the cases, and possibly all of the cases. Very few abuse cases that occur within church's are turned over to the police and courts.

In situations of physical, emotional or sexual abuse by church leaders should not be handled exclusively by church autonomy, but most definitely turned over to the police and courts. Not only are these church matters, but also city and state crimes. It can be likened to a criminal investigating himself and excusing himself from accountability and responsibility.   As to the opsters question of sexual abuse happening in protestant church's. The answer is yes it does happen. The statistics show that it happens almost as frequently in protestant church's as it does in catholic churches. However the roman catholic church has a profound reputation for cover ups instead of firing offenders when the allegations have been proven to be true. Which is why it is big news and scandalous when it is discovered.

• Thumbs Up 2

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  952
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,569
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

2 hours ago, appy said:

Church autonomy

Hmm, is there any autonomy for anyone or any entity? A good word, but is it a Biblical concept?

Seems to me the very principle of government being established by God removes that possibility.

I do suggest that though some may cover up, that the many do not! I do credit most all Christians with the knowledge that they cannot cover up, nor should they ever want to try.

Evil is everywhere, the best place for evil to hide is within sanctuaries of that which is good. Churches are people not buildings, not labels. People need be examined, previewed and reviewed individually. Within the church  the body of individuals, each are to hold each other accountable as well as themselves. Accountability includes accountability to government, which is also established by God, plus to the entirety of the church body.

If there is a casual rather than a very serious concern for security of the entire body from newborn to the elderly the congregation need rise up and make the necessary changes discussing and shaping the changes with great care and diligence. Each and every member of the body  needs to be fully educated as to protecting themself from any suspicion. Never give the enemy a chance never risk damage to one's reputation by being casual about personal reputation, nor about the safety of other members of the body for it if one is hurt all the body is hurt and our Lord Jesus is also held up to shame by it. 

Behavior is a very serious business, perhaps damaged by today's lacking of rules of propriety and social grace in general. Such things as never ever be a man  in a room with a woman alone in any situation behind closed doors, may be forgotten but it should never be forgotten. For it will foster rumors, and rumors hurt as much as any real offense.

4 hours ago, appy said:

However the roman catholic church has a profound reputation for cover ups instead of firing offenders when the allegations have been proven to be true. Which is why it is big news and scandalous when it is discovered

And it’s not just the cover ups that’s bad, it’s the aggressive, mafia style  tactics they use to cover their tracks, which ends up causing more trauma to the victims.

In most cases, the cover up includes transferring the Priest to another parish where he is free to abuse a whole other set of kids. The other Parish has no idea the Priest has been transferred to them because he abused kids somewhere else. That’s why when the abuse is finally revealed to the public, we find out a single  Priest has abused hundreds of victims.

Edited by ReneeIW
  • This is Worthy 1