IGNORED

Fear or hope?

Which is more likely to bring souls to Christ? 

As we evangelize to unbelievers, it's worth thinking about. 

What brought you to Jesus Christ? For me it was pain and need for hope and comfort that i realised this world could never give me. For all my life before that moment that i came to accept Jesus as Saviour, if any Christian ever used fear along with quotes from the Bible at me i used to send them packing and close my mind. I suspect that is what happens a lot. When i met kind loving serene Christians though, i remember i would wonder what had they got that seemed so good? Now i know. 

So that is the basis of my evangelizings. I listen, do not judge, empathise and quietly tell my testimony. It works. It sets a seed surely in the mind of an unbeliever. They must think maybe they don't need to struggle alone. 

That's what i think anyhow. I don't want to be the obvious classic image of a Christian. Think of characters on TV programmes - like Dot Cotton on Eastenders. She was always going around quoting verses of Scripture at people and was always dismissed as a slightly foolish harmless eccentric. Like people with a sandwich board in tiwn centres shouting 'repent for the kingdom of God is nigh!' It does not work. You and i know it is the truth but unbelievers remain unmoved usually. What is required is connection with them, engagement in conversation so they see who Jesus is. 

I did not mean this to be such a long post but i feel strongly about these aspects. 

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  6,726
  • Content Per Day:  2.88
  • Days Won:  5

5 minutes ago, Melinda12 said:

So that is the basis of my evangelizings. I listen, do not judge, empathise and quietly tell my testimony. It works. It sets a seed surely in the mind of an unbeliever. They must think maybe they don't need to struggle alone. 

If I were you, I would not change a thing....you got it down right.....God has blessed you- may he continue to do so....

• Loved it! 2

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.88
  • Content Count:  43,795
  • Content Per Day:  6.21
  • Days Won:  58

It is His work, not mine. I let Him lead. How I do so, what I say, what I emphasize, depends on who the person is and how the Lord leads. The only constant is that I pray pray pray as Im witnessing.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Well Said! 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks. I am very shy actually. I wish i had the gift of public speaking and great energy. I have none. So one to one quiet evangelizing is my way. Slow but i do my best. I am just bursting to tell troubled people they have such help and comfort available with Christ and that they are loved. 

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.81
  • Days Won:  226

Hope

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  951
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,567
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

4 hours ago, Melinda12 said:

'repent for the kingdom of God is nigh!'

Hi,

And yet God brought Elijah, John The Baptist, among His chosen people with just that message. So go figure, eh?

Maybe one has to also obey, even unto  eating of locust and honey and wearing odd clothing  too, - if told to by God.

The idea that there is one proper way to share of the gospel may be limiting and become a denial of God's will. If so it will not be the first time that has happened. Moses, Jonah, and even Gideon come to mind as examples. No God, not me, no not that way, no send someone else God seems to be the first cry of witnesses God uses. They are the very weak and get used great witnesses, some even make it into the record of the Bible.

God does use the most foolish and weak among us it seems to go and do as he has commanded. It is helpful That He does in that it shows the power is not the person, not the smooth talk and personality, but is God. God is the sole power that saves. God is to be obeyed, fearfully so even under His love extended to His own.

It is God the Holy Spirit that makes the specific call to each person that is turned about from denial of God to acceptance of Jesus as Lord God and personal savior. Nonetheless, it is obedience to God that has the born again sharing  testimony of Him. Whether one shares of the wisdom of fearing God, or shares the nature of the love that motivates God matters less than does the actual doing of it.  So I do think there is place in God's will and plan for each that have been turned about from their own rebellion against Him  to go share in the manner He has led them to share.

That manner will be different, perhaps very differently done in each of the called out the born again that have come to know God the Son through God the Holy Spirit's reveal of Him.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  69
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,625
  • Content Per Day:  0.79
  • Days Won:  1

4 hours ago, Melinda12 said:

I don't want to be the obvious classic image of a Christian. Think of characters on TV programmes - like Dot Cotton on Eastenders. She was always going around quoting verses of Scripture at people and was always dismissed as a slightly foolish harmless eccentric.

Haha, classic reference!

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  951
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,567
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

12 minutes ago, Tzephanyahu said:

Haha, classic reference!

Hi,

Ha.

---------

In general,

I wonder, if one is slightly foolish looking are they just slightly sharing testimony of God?

Seems  testimony is considered really foolish by the world.

..."the word of the cross is folly to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God.  For it is written,

“I will destroy the wisdom of the wise,
    and the discernment of the discerning I will thwart.”

Where is the one who is wise? Where is the scribe? Where is the debater of this age? Has not God made foolish the wisdom of the world?  For since, in the wisdom of God, the world did not know God through wisdom, it pleased God through the folly of what we preach to save those who believe.  For Jews demand signs and Greeks seek wisdom, but we preach Christ crucified, a stumbling block to Jews and folly to Gentiles,  but to those who are called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God and the wisdom of God.  For the foolishness of God is wiser than men, and the weakness of God is stronger than men.

For consider your calling, brothers: not many of you were wise according to worldly standards, not many were powerful, not many were of noble birth.  But God chose what is foolish in the world to shame the wise; God chose what is weak in the world to shame the strong; God chose what is low and despised in the world, even things that are not, to bring to nothing things that are, so that no human being might boast in the presence of God. And because of him you are in Christ Jesus, who became to us wisdom from God, righteousness and sanctification and redemption,  so that, as it is written, “Let the one who boasts, boast in the Lord.” "

..."But God chose what is foolish in the world"... -  ..."so that no human being might boast in the presence of God"....

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  20
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  536
  • Content Per Day:  0.31
  • Days Won:  0

9 hours ago, Melinda12 said:

I did not mean this to be such a long post but i feel strongly about these aspects.

That was a long post?  I am hopeless then.

• Haha 1

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  42
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  944
  • Content Per Day:  0.54
  • Days Won:  0

9 hours ago, Melinda12 said:

Which is more likely to bring souls to Christ? 

The message of the Gospel and a loving spirit.

But in the end, I think the Father brings us to Himself in whatever way He sees fit for that individual. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Well Said! 1