• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.23
  • Days Won:  115

8 minutes ago, Mike 2 said:

I skipped past Neighbours post,  too much scripture.....could have stopped at the chapter and verse reference to the sermon on the mount .

It could be argued that Jesus was quoting a lot of scripture but we do have to keep in mind that he was delivering a sermon and not having a discussion with a group of friends.

Using scripture to prove or back up what we are saying is important, we should be doing it for clarity.....with 1 proviso,  there be only the proper amount of scripture to ensure we are not proof texting. Doing that is a skill in itself....... Laser bombing  ? :whistling:

I think what One Light is saying is important because we really do need to learn to take the words of God and share them in our own words in ways that work in the culture we are in, something I think for me, is one of the primary purposes of this forum.                                       Using bible quotes would then not be used as a back up to our belief but as the source of what we are communicating.

Proof texting is a subject that needs it's own thread as that is also a method of taking scripture out of context to prove a personal theology or belief, which has been around as long as books have been around.

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  60
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  0

30 minutes ago, OneLight said:

Discussing scripture is not scripture bombing, in fact, it is what we should do.  I had thought everyone would know what scripture bombing is, but I was wrong.  Here is one site I found that explains it pretty well.  The explanation is pretty short and an easy read.

http://www.faithmeetsworld.com/scripture-bombing/

I understand, I never heard of that, to me I was taking it as someone posting lots of scripture to back up their beliefs (which over done can be self defeating).  But yes, I would agree posting scripture and not explaining the connection is rather useless, it is like the calendars with a scripture of the day.  It is nice "oh...that is an interesting verse", but with no explaining or reference to connecting scripture that explains the spiritual truth it is just as if someone quote Socrates or Shakespeare.  

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Well Said! 1

2 minutes ago, Mal'ak said:

I understand, I never heard of that, to me I was taking it as someone posting lots of scripture to back up their beliefs (which over done can be self defeating).  But yes, I would agree posting scripture and not explaining the connection is rather useless, it is like the calendars with a scripture of the day.  It is nice "oh...that is an interesting verse", but with no explaining or reference to connecting scripture that explains the spiritual truth it is just as if someone quote Socrates or Shakespeare.  

Yes, which is why I highly encourage communication about application.  Just throwing scripture out there to look good is sad.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Brilliant! 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  57
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,405
  • Content Per Day:  0.27

1 hour ago, Willa said:

I don't know how long a scripture bomb is.  Personally, I find that a point that is not supported by the word is useless.  My opinion is ridiculous if it is not in God's word.  You have been here a long time.  The posts that I have valued the most have been Fresno Joe's.  God's word enlightens and teaches; it gives wisdom. 

I agree with this. When it comes to teaching, guidance, and debating we need to be using scripture to support our positions. Going by the link's definition of scripture bombing the key thing seems to be the spirit the message is delivered with. Does it say "I'm right and you're wrong and here's the scripture to prove it." or is there compassion and empathy in the presentation?

• Thumbs Up 2

• Followers:  15
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,371
  • Content Per Day:  1.36
  • Days Won:  5

For some people, it is a gift to be able to open the word by connecting several scriptures together that all touch on the same theme.  For more lengthy posts that involve a lot of scripture it might only be of interest to those who the Lord is particularly speaking to on that theme.  For anyone who is not interested in any post, they are certainly free to give it a skip.

• Thumbs Up 2

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  952
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,573
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

Personally I find fuller posting of scriptures (passages), to be helpful, very helpful,  Bomb me with scripture, give me another. It corrects me as nothing else may do!

• Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, Neighbor said:

Personally I find fuller posting of scriptures (passages), to be helpful, very helpful,  Bomb me with scripture, give me another. It corrects me as nothing else may do!

You are confusing detailed teaching with scripture bombing. 

• Thumbs Up 2

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  136
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  2,488
  • Content Per Day:  1.41

8 hours ago, OneLight said:

I have taken notice that there seems to be some lately who believe scripture bombing is the best way to get their point across.  On the contrary, all it does is loose the attention of those they want to reach.  Instead of taking the time to have a conversation, as a teacher should do, those who use this technique basically are doing just the opposite.  By imposing your view with a litany of scripture, you provide a narrow view of what you belief the scripture means and discourages others to reply due to a very long list of scripture they would be required to reply to.  Where is the conversation?  Where is the desire to truly reach someone?  It's not there.  Instead, scripture bombing overwhelms the reader, nothing else.  It seems this technique is a persons means of leaving the reader with a conviction that if they do not agree they are, somehow, either lacking in understanding, faith or revelation, just the opposite of what a true teacher would want their audience to feel.

Instead of creating one post with many ideas, supported with many bible verses, shorten your response one idea at a time.  By touching on one point at a time, you will not loose your audience and turn people away.  Scripture is His word to us and should invite others to consider what is being said.  It is not to be used to turn people away from understanding.   Just as bible thumping never brought any positive results, scripture bombing doesn't either.

I Personally never get tired of reading scripture. I want to see and interact with the Word of God, as the Word of God is alive and reads us. I am going to do a brief "scripture bomb" to back up my point, and those who have ears to hear will understand.

For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart. Neither is there any creature that is not manifest in his sight: but all things are naked and opened unto the eyes of him with whom we have to do. (Hebrews 4:12-13)

Point being the problem is not so much "scripture bombing", but the aversion to the Truth of the Word of God and the conviction the Word of God brings in this post modern generation and mindset which states that all Truth is relative. It's not about me forcing scripture down your throat or my interpretation of truth that is the problem, the problem is the Not wanting to hear scripture and being convicted by it, and being led to the cross of Christ in repentance, because the Word of God has done what was set out to do, which is to "cut to the marrow". concepts like Sin, conviction, admitting one's error, repentance are not Popular vocabulary in the Post modern world of self rule, self love, and self deception.

There are three ways to look into a mirror, one is narcissistic, One is with Loathing, and the then there is the way outlined in the Word of God, which is to see all of our flaws, and ugliness, but also to see the image of God in us, which is seeing ourselves honestly. That being said, We must encourage people to see themselves as they really are, and if that means using scripture to show them their ugliness, then so be it, But if the opportunity presents itself we must also edify and encourage them as well.

God bless.   

• Thumbs Up 1
  • This is Worthy 1

16 minutes ago, OneLight said:

You are confusing detailed teaching with scripture bombing. 

Perhaps but, as example:

Proverbs 9 English Standard Version (ESV)

The Way of Wisdom

Wisdom has built her house;
    she has hewn her seven pillars.
 She has slaughtered her beasts; she has mixed her wine;
    she has also set her table.
She has sent out her young women to call
    from the highest places in the town,
 “Whoever is simple, let him turn in here!”
    To him who lacks sense she says,
 “Come, eat of my bread
    and drink of the wine I have mixed.
 Leave your simple ways, and live,
    and walk in the way of insight.”

Whoever corrects a scoffer gets himself abuse,
    and he who reproves a wicked man incurs injury.
Do not reprove a scoffer, or he will hate you;
    reprove a wise man, and he will love you.
 Give instruction to a wise man, and he will be still wiser;
    teach a righteous man, and he will increase in learning.
The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom,
    and the knowledge of the Holy One is insight.
 For by me your days will be multiplied,
    and years will be added to your life.
 If you are wise, you are wise for yourself;
    if you scoff, you alone will bear it.

The Way of Folly

The woman Folly is loud;
    she is seductive and knows nothing.
 She sits at the door of her house;
    she takes a seat on the highest places of the town,
 calling to those who pass by,
    who are going straight on their way,
 “Whoever is simple, let him turn in here!”
    And to him who lacks sense she says,
 “Stolen water is sweet,
    and bread eaten in secret is pleasant.”
 But he does not know that the dead are there,
    that her guests are in the depths of Sheol.

Kinda says it all near as I can tell.  :)

Really  for me there is nothing quite like being corrected of my own  misunderstandings,  errors, or an outright sin, as in seeing scripture posted before my eye plain and simple.  It is easy to mis a personal opinion, but very hard to dance around a well placed passage inspired  of God and shared by one that has better  knowledge than I do. I love it, for I do not like to continue in my errors, I'dmuch rather get ot rethink my own conclusionin the face of a counter revealing scripture. 

• Thumbs Up 1