Figure of eighty

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  241
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  1,558
  • Content Per Day:  0.77
  • Days Won:  0

I recently found out that Christmas is a pagan holiday with Jesus thrown in the mix. 

Christmas was originally Yule which is of Germanic origin. Alot of xmas traditions stem from Yule. 

Heres an example: 

To Honour and Protect: The Yule Log

The custom of burning the Yule Log began with the ancient Scandinavians who burned a huge log, felled from and Ash tree, to honour their god Thor. In the Celtic tradition, a continual hearth fire was kept to prevent spirits from entering the home. In order for the fire to keep burning, a large Oak tree was felled and brought into the home where the tree was placed trunk first into the hearth, with the last remnants set aside to burn with next year’s fire. It was also believed that the longer the Yule log burned, the faster the sun would come to warm the earth.

Other Yule Traditions and Symbols

Candles were another way to have an eternal flame within the home. They symbolized the light and warmth of the sun and were used to chase away evils and lure back the returning sun/son" 

I remember bedore2 I was saved I practice occult like stuff and I knew it opened doors I had to close and Im wondering now with the info provided above, Though done in ignorance, burning a log that by practice gives omage to another, false God..will it hinder your walk with God? 

Or is it one of those. Roman 14:23

things where if youre a mature Christian and it doesnt cause you to stumble its ok? 

What do you think?

Edited by Figure of eighty

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  219
  • Content Per Day:  0.13

You are right, & not wanting to repeat myself, if you want to see my posts, I have just added to, what I started, then you will see more.

My post is 'Xmas & Saturnalia'

2 hours ago, Yeshua153 said:

You are right, & not wanting to repeat myself, if you want to see my posts, I have just added to, what I started, then you will see more.

My post is 'Xmas & Saturnalia'

Thank you.. 

* Bump

Just now, Betha said:

What do I think ? putting myself in GOD's shoes....I would not like it if people took what is dear to me and presented it to another god (of their own making) I would not like it at all ! therefore He will return and chastise/correct this evil world.

Excellently put, the others just like showing off their SELF, with silly emogees, tacky red  hearts, & gaudy lights. Getting drunk & stuffing faces with food, glorifying God! I don't think so!

• Loved it! 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  955
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,599
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

7 hours ago, Figure of eighty said:

I recently found out that Christmas is a pagan holiday with Jesus thrown in the mix. 

Christmas was originally Yule which is of Germanic origin. Alot of xmas traditions stem from Yule. 

Hi, No you really haven't found out anything. Nothing at all. All celebrations have pagan origins, or have pagan parallels for evil counterfeits what is good and celebrated to God's glory. You can worry about trees, you can worry about rabbits and eggs at Easter. You can soon join those who wish to be dour in countenance at all times having no joy within them and no love nor compassion, just a stern stiff upper lip of disdain for all that do have joy in their lives.

Don't let yourself go there. Be happy, enjoy life enjoy your creator's many blessings.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Well Said! 1

• Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  598
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,134
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

17 minutes ago, Neighbor said:

Hi, No you really haven't found out anything. Nothing at all. All celebrations have pagan origins, or have pagan parallels for evil counterfeits what is good and celebrated to God's glory. You can worry about trees, you can worry about rabbits and eggs at Easter. You can soon join those who wish to be dour in countenance at all times having no joy within them and no love nor compassion, just a stern stiff upper lip of disdain for all that do have joy in their lives.

Don't let yourself go there. Be happy, enjoy life enjoy your creator's many blessings.

you don't have to celebrate pagan holidays  to not be dour in countenance and having no joy and certainly love and/or compassion...      But at our house we express those things every day...  I don't need a tree to make me happy and or love my wife and family and neighbors....    if anything they are a distraction...

I do love the Christmas Season even though we don't do pagan things.....    my only Christmas decoration is an 18 inch tall angel with wings that change color....    she is sweet.   We do eat....   and gather to be with each other and do give our grandkids gifts....   but we long ago decided that none of us could afford what any of us wanted or needed for any presents, so any presents we just buy for ourselves....     like last year my son bought himself a Porsche 911.    And he was correct I could not afford it.

But one does not have to do pagan things to enjoy this season, and we don't really have to celebrate Jesus's birthday on his birthday....    most likely we should do that every day.   But we are given the birth story and it's good to have a time to ponder on it.....    

I think it is kind of "each to his/her own" kind of thing....   but I personally do not like the pagan things in any of our holidays.    At least we haven't messed up Thanksgiving....   Yet.....

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Well Said! 1

3 hours ago, Betha said:

What do I think ? putting myself in GOD's shoes....I would not like it if people took what is dear to me and presented it to another god (of their own making) I would not like it at all ! therefore He will return and chastise/correct this evil world.

Amen thats how I see it. Christmas is all about pleasing the pagan gods. Even carrolling ia done so the earth Goddess would give foods to those in needs.

56 minutes ago, Neighbor said:

God makes it clear to not have any other Gods before him. Burning a Yule log is done in honor of Thor and settinf up a christma " Yule" tree and adorning it with trinkets is done so the gods can bless you with your hearts desire. 

Im light hearted ans all for having fun but we cant stand on God's word just when it concerns homosexuality and abortion but all things. 

I honestyly dont know how to feel about Christmas. May be better off celebrating Hannukah.

Just now, Betha said:

It is sad to see people go over the top regarding traditional holidays while never mentioning GOD's Own Holy Feasts and esp His Own Holy Day HE has given MAN to honour Him. Now they are even calling xmas holy which never is mentioned or listed in scripture.. When we see what people do with xmas it is not surprising GOD never gave us His Son's birthday....He does not want it POLLUTED and PERVERTED by MAN.

Only Christ's birth, was celebrated, not birthday, there were only 2 of them, 1 in the OT & 1 in the NT. Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to say what happened on their birthday! If we did similar, we would end up with bars in front of us, not the ones selling beer either!

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  955
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,599
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

1 hour ago, other one said:

At least we haven't messed up Thanksgiving

Thanksgiving? Oh No! You don't celebrate those pilgrims mixing it up with the locals do you? That's an American pagan feast! Giving thanks to the gods of the harvest, blah blah ....

You make it read like you are a cheapskate what with no car giving.

I have celebrated Christmas on a $35 total budget, had to wait for my "giant $35" Christmas work bonus to do that. Christmas is not giving  of things so much. It is the sharing of our joy one with another. That  sharing does manifest in gift exchanging and serving dinners and lots of little celebrations just getting together  at a time of joy.