IGNORED

Has anyone trashed their ungodly belongings?

Uri

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  23
  • Topic Count:  155
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  7,464
  • Content Per Day:  1.02
  • Days Won:  57
  • Birthday:  12/12/1952

On 2/12/2020 at 11:15 PM, missmuffet said:

I do not have anything that would not glorify God. 

Nor do I.  A few years ago I got rid of all of the R rated movies in my collection.  There were only about 5 or 6 and I will not watch or go to an R rated movie.  Like missmuffet I don't not have anything that does not glorify God or that I would be ashamed of Jesus seeing.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  38
  • Topic Count:  365
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  8,700
  • Content Per Day:  3.90
  • Days Won:  64

I want to share at a bible study one lady said how some statues are false gods and we don't even know it.  I brought a statue  to the group and they were not sure but thought it  was an idol as it was a asian 8" statue of marble I think.  Well I said, they are not really possessed it's just a statue I don't believe it's anything but I decided well if it was why keep it anyway so I decided to throw it out.  I did throw it out.  Later, I remembered I had a big wood carving a a person like Jesus  or no it reminded me of  Jesus or an angel (had wings) with it's foot on a devilish looking being (hard to describe) maybe the way the eyes were cut and it had a snake somewhere if I am remembering right.  Anyway it was very clear someone angelic was killing off evil the angel had it's foot on the neck of the other one.  I somehow never felt ok to hang it and kept it in a closet somewhere.  (A lady gave it to me who said it was there when she bought the place in a storage room).  Anyway because of the statue thing I wondered if it had "curses" on it like the ladies had said some things are made that way.  Any way it was of Asian origin because there was all this writing in asian on the back.  I was not sure what to do ...it seemed very valuable to me and yet not sure ..I did not believe things cursed could affect a christian.  I thought just throw it out but yet I kept hesitating.  I think I talked to some of those ladies at the bible study (asian ladies mostly) and they said throw it away.  I was not sure.. I think I said yeah I guess I will throw it out but yet I was not doing it.  So I moved it to the garage, while thinking it over still, hesitating with throwing it out as it was a really nice carving.  It  was in the garage propped up against something and the next day  .... it had fallen down because I drove over it and it splintered to pieces.  I thought wow.. God took care of that problem for me. 

I had that picture probably a decade if not more in my house in a closet. 

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  6,726
  • Content Per Day:  2.87
  • Days Won:  5

On 2/14/2020 at 7:47 AM, Salvation67 said:

@Blood Bought 1953, Thanks millions! You have cleared something up for me that I have been struggling  with and worried about :t2:.  Thank you Jesus for bring me here 

Your kind response has been a bigger blessing to me than you will ever know......Thanks for taking the time to post this.....God bless you......

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  20
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  09/16/1974

Dear wife and I tossed a lot of items that we considered worldly.  A lot of music, books, magazines, an other junk that didnt serve the purpose of drawing us closer to Him, or Would have served to draw us away: was given away.  

Sometimes we miss those things, and find the music online to listen to, but because the availability of those things is more difficult, we utilize them much less.  

We feel we are better off, as long as we dont replace those things with other junk.  

• Thanks 1

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  413
  • Content Per Day:  0.20

18 hours ago, RustyAngeL said:

Nor do I.  A few years ago I got rid of all of the R rated movies in my collection.  There were only about 5 or 6 and I will not watch or go to an R rated movie.  Like missmuffet I don't not have anything that does not glorify God or that I would be ashamed of Jesus seeing.

Rusty, would that include "Schindler's List?"  That is a R rated film. 

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  200
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  2,795
  • Content Per Day:  0.65
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  07/26/1952

I think throwing away ungodly possessions is an ongoing job we all have to deal with.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  20
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Birthday:  09/16/1974

Adding to previous: some things were overtly "of darkness" and others were revealed as time passed and we trimmed and discerned.   

The pattern seems to be that while some things are easy to see the evil in, others were revealed in due time.  Where God may reveal something to me about a book or movie, He may not give to others at the same time.  Perhaps we see (a movie) and then begin to understand whats really in it.  

We learned rather quickly not to think less of a friend to whom He had not revealed the evil nature of a object to.  

• Well Said! 1

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  97
  • Content Per Day:  0.06

Lots of responses with a good range, thank you.

The fact is, I come from a unique "movie family", meaning we all could have been movie stars and sucked into the world & spit out into recovery if that path had occurred. Like the Hemsworth or Phoenix family.

Those talents/features bled over into my children, which I tried nurturing through a Christian talent agency, but they were only after our money. My 2nd born has gone on therefore into a bad place.

Personally, my only vice has been movies, of which most are rated R. Being able to act them out word-for-word-for antic is a family enjoyment/tradition(minus cursing), but it brings no soul to the kingdom.

I don't watch many anyway or have gotten rid of many, for reasons others have mentioned, natural disinterest upon growth.

My father has a problem with "collecting"; amounts of things would boggle the common mind.

Because of that, I've had an inner desire to say "NO",  Even to the point where I once threw away all my baseball cards of which I had over 20000 and cards that would be worth several hundreds a piece today.

But loneliness from going at raising children alone for a decade has led me to holding on to things that have likely held me back, from being lonely. 

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  126
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2,087
  • Content Per Day:  0.57
  • Birthday:  09/15/1956

Yes

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Topic Count:  9