IGNORED

Is it wrong for Christian to watch people kiss on TV or in movies?

• Group:  Newbie
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

I was sitting watching a movie with some friends at school and when the kissing scene came up I kinda looked away and didn't pay attention to it. 

I'ts been like that for the past 19 years of my life, my parents wouldn't let my sister and I watch that part. 

So when I'm alone, I always skip the kissing part. I like watching romantic movies a lot though but skip what makes it romantic all the time. 

So my question is, is it wrong for a Christian to watch people kiss on TV or in MOVIES? 

And how would you approach a movie with sexual content as a Christian ?... 

• Group:  Non-Conformist Theology
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  118
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  4,361
  • Content Per Day:  2.30
  • Birthday:  02/03/1953

1 hour ago, Quote Prizy said:

I was sitting watching a movie with some friends at school and when the kissing scene came up I kinda looked away and didn't pay attention to it. 

I'ts been like that for the past 19 years of my life, my parents wouldn't let my sister and I watch that part. 

So when I'm alone, I always skip the kissing part. I like watching romantic movies a lot though but skip what makes it romantic all the time. 

So my question is, is it wrong for a Christian to watch people kiss on TV or in MOVIES? 

I have no desire to watch lovers kiss. If it went on for more than a few seconds, I'd change channels, and if it went farther than kissing, I'd change channels so as not to be exposed to temptation. If I were in a movie theater, I wouldn't watch.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  19
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  693
  • Content Per Day:  0.42

2 hours ago, Quote Prizy said:

No.   It is not.  I think your parents were, perhaps a little over the top on this.

Here's my view.... if you have a problem with kissing, then you shouldn't be watching a romantic movie at all.    What exactly is romance, without any physical action at all?  Just staring at each other, at a restaurant?    Just talking?

Because I've done both of those things, with people I had zero romantic interest in.   So what is romance?   I'd have a hard time pointing to anything anywhere, that was considered romantic, that had zero physical interaction.

Now, as a man, and I can say that I do not mind at all having a good romantic scene, in a movie.  As a Christian, no sex, or explicitly implied scenes.  Obviously, use your mind to have good boundaries on what is good and clean before G-d.   I think you can figure out what is clearly inappropriate here.

That said, even with clean romance...  I think all of us should limit how much media we allow into our lives.

I think this is true of all people, and all media types, not just romance.

The problem with over exposure to romance, is that it raises your expectations.   Guys fall into this trap, because they see these women that are constantly decked out, and super beautiful, and all perfectly shaped and hair styled perfectly without a hair out of place... and that's not reality.

Moreover, it always cracked me up watching 1980s movies, where the guy grabs the girl, throws her up against a wall, and then starts making out, right after defeating some bad guy in mortal combat.    And guys think that acting like a movie, is going to get them some hot chick that wants to be slammed against a wall, and then make out with them.

Now guys don't explicitly believe this, but many of them have expectations that could never come true.

But girls, and I think more girls have this problem than men even, they get caught up in how romantic the guy is.   How he's going to kiss you, and hold you, and say all these amazingly sweet things to you, and.......   yeah that's not how real men are.

I've seen that many girls have far too high expectations, from watching all these Disney films, and then they get married and are all disappointed.    Real guys don't come into the house with a rose in their mouth, playing a guitar, and serenading you, and then twirl you around the floor like you are ballroom dancing... and oh how romantic it will all be....

No, guys fart, and burp, and their underwear smells, and they come home after a long day at work tired, and sometimes a little depressed at how hard life is.   That's reality.

So to get back to my point... I think you should limit how much romantic media you watch.   You need to be careful not to let ridiculous movies, warp your expectations in real life.   If you watch too much of this, you'll end up disappointed when you end up in a real relationship, with a person that isn't a made up fictional character created from some movie directors head, to get ticket sales.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  958
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,645
  • Content Per Day:  5.04
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

Hi,

To me is is like watching  tennis; it's fun to play  but not much  of a spectator sport.

Watching Doris Day  kissing Rock Hudson   Oh I didn't want to see that, what a memory to have to carry. Augh yuck yuck yuck.

It's  like having watched  Arnie Palmer shank one into the water hazard or Felix Mantilla overthrow first base losing the vital playoff game.

• Loved it! 2

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  307
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  18,143
  • Content Per Day:  4.62
  • Days Won:  327

1 hour ago, Neighbor said:

Hi,

To me is is like watching  tennis; it's fun to play  but not much  of a spectator sport.

Wrong? I don't think it is wrong but OH SOOOO unnecessary- Plus....

Matthew 6:22-23

“The eye is the lamp of the body. So, if your eye is healthy, your whole body will be full of light, but if your eye is bad, your whole body will be full of darkness. If then the light in you is darkness, how great is the darkness!

How distasteful is it? I can't watch that distasteful stuff,it brings nothing good in and I'd prefer to look at a beautiful tree(doing nothing but giving God Glory by being there)than watch some sloppy spreading germs on a screen,lol

With love-in Christ,Kwik

BTW,if YOU are offended,uncomfortable or think you are being Convicted-don't watch & not because you want to please God by an act of doing.....Saved by Grace!

• Thumbs Up 2

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  1,502
  • Content Per Day:  0.66

16 hours ago, Quote Prizy said:

It is always wrong to do something you are anxious about, and always right to do something you feel free to do - Romans 14 - read it, heed it.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  774
  • Topics Per Day:  0.34
  • Content Count:  6,949
  • Content Per Day:  3.06
  • Days Won:  1

Its not wrong but not Appropriate for christians

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,992
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,690
  • Content Per Day:  11.78
  • Days Won:  226

On 3/25/2020 at 2:12 PM, Quote Prizy said:

There are a lot worse things they do on television and movies today. That is why I do not watch television or go to movies. 

• 3 months later...

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  1,176
  • Content Per Day:  0.84
  • Birthday:  04/29/1987

On 3/25/2020 at 9:12 PM, Quote Prizy said:

I dont think it is wrong to see sexual scenes on TV, as long as we are not going around doing that then i dont see the sin. It can be bad to add more to God's word than what is there. Seeing naked people on anything is a sin though.

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,992
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,690
  • Content Per Day:  11.78
  • Days Won:  226

On 3/25/2020 at 2:12 PM, Quote Prizy said:

I don't have a television set and I don't go to movies. Both were becoming too worldly and I felt the Holy Spirit telling me to make some sacrifices for God and give them up.