• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  39
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,204
  • Content Per Day:  0.78
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  12/10/1957

That there will be two phases to Christ's return is a basic belief of the common pre-trib rapture view.  While I do not subscribe to the common view, Scripture does support that Christ's return will be in two phases.  The first phase will be His sudden and unexpected return as a "thief" for the rapture of His Church and the resurrection.  The second phase will be His return as the "King of kings, and Lord of lords," for the Battle of Armageddon and His Millennial Reign.  This second phase of His return is normally referred to simply as His Second Coming, or Second Advent.

We can appropriately refer to the first phase of Christ's return as His Sign Return, based partly upon His use of the words "the sign" in the following portion of His Olivet Discourse, from Matthew 24:

29  Immediately after the tribulation of those days shall the sun be darkened, and the moon shall not give her light, and the stars shall fall from heaven, and the powers of the heavens shall be shaken:

30  And then shall appear THE SIGN of the Son of man in heaven:  and then shall all the tribes of the earth mourn, and they shall see the Son of man coming in the clouds of heaven with power and great glory.

31  And He shall send His angels with a great sound of a trumpet, and they shall gather together His elect from the four winds, from one end of heaven to the other.

Of course, there are major differences of opinion concerning the correct interpretation of this passage.  And I have many thoughts concerning it, which I will post in time.  But, as I begin, please remember some things.  One, it is Jesus who is using the words "the sign" concerning this return.  Two, just like after the opening of the 6th Seal, something happens that affects the appearance of the sun and the moon at this time.  And three, whether it be the first or second phase of His return, whether it be the raptured Church, the 144,000 sealed Jews, many eyes, or every eye, the next time Jesus is seen by anyone, He will be seen "with power and great glory"!:hurrah: (I love this little emoji!)

Looking closer, just before Jesus began His Olivet Discourse, the disciples had asked Him, "Tell us, when shall these things be?  and what shall be THE SIGN OF THY COMING, and of the end of the world?" (Matt. 24:3).  By this, they were as much as asking Him, "What shall be THE SIGN OF THY SECOND COMING?"  In reply, He reveals to them many things, but the only time He uses the definite article the with the singular word sign is in Matt 24:30.  Now, it may seem kind of odd that Jesus would indicate that before His Second Advent He is going to make a sign appearance.  Odd, until it is realized that at His sign appearance, He is coming to get something before He returns later to stay!  And, what is that?  Look again a little closer at what happens next...

31  And He shall send His angels with a great sound of a trumpet, and they shall GATHER TOGETHER HIS ELECT from the four winds, from one end of heaven to the other.

I wish I was talking to the reader in person right now, because I would like to ask you in your presence what it sounds like Jesus is talking about here.  Why?  Because many pre-trib scholars are interpreting this to be in reference to something besides the rapture.  Knowing the reasons for this, there are much better scriptural reasons to interpret this as a rapture passage than anything else.  A prime example is what Paul said to the Thessalonians (in an accepted rapture passage) to quench rumors that Christ's Second Advent was at hand.  Consider afresh, from II Thess 2 (with my clarifying notes in parentheses):

1   Now we beseech you, brethren, by the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ (at the rapture), and by OUR GATHERING TOGETHER unto Him (during the rapture),

2   That ye be not soon shaken in mind, or be troubled, neither by spirit, nor by word, nor by letter as from us, as that the Day of Christ (His Second Advent) is at hand.

If Paul's words and Jesus' words were puzzle pieces, they would fit right together and without any forcing.  Nevertheless, the fit of these pieces of Scripture seems to be largely missed.

To be sure, there are other things we must look at, and in time we will (the good Lord willing :)).  But for now, I want to call attention to the verses of Jesus' discourse that Matt 24:29-31 is sandwiched within (its immediate context) and how these support Christ's two phase return.  First of all, preceding verses 29-31, Jesus spoke these three verses (the top part of the sandwich, if you will)...

26  Wherefore if they shall say unto you, Behold, He is in the desert;  go not forth:  behold, He is in the secret chambers;  believe it not.

27  For as the lightning cometh out of the east, and shineth even unto the west;  so shall also the coming of the Son of man be.

28  For wheresoever the carcase is, there will the eagles be gathered together.

It seems everyone accepts what Jesus says in verse 27 to be of His Second Advent.  But, is this the same event of which He speaks three verses later, in verse 30?  There He says, "And then shall appear the sign of the Son of man in heaven."  These differing statements are not different angles on the same event.  The word sign denotes something far different that the substance of His coming for every eye to see as depicted in the above verses.  Why would Jesus use the words the sign in connection with this event, when His substance will be right before everyone!  However, the word sign will fit the event of the rapture, especially with this happening so quickly and the likelihood that He will make this sign appearance in the sky over Israel, for those in that hemisphere to witness.  Said another way, Jesus' differing words in verses 27 and 30 are not different angles on the same event, but different accounts of His future return, because it will be in two phases as so many of us already believe.

From another angle, if what Jesus reveals in Matt 24:29-31 is of His Second Advent, how would signs relating to the sun, the moon, and the stars at this time even rate an honorable mention?  With His Second Advent being "as the lightning" and what John sees in Rev 19:11-16, whatever else might be happening skyward would seem to pale into utter insignificance!  Really, what relevance would any kind of sign have in the face of Christ's Second Advent?  But, when understood to be connected with the first phase of His return and the rapture, such makes better sense.

Moving forward, following verses 29-31 Jesus spoke these three verses (the bottom part of the sandwich)...

32  Now learn a parable of the fig tree;  When his branch is yet tender, and putteth forth leaves, ye know that summer is nigh:

33  So likewise ye, when ye shall see all these things, know that it (His Second Advent!) is near, even at the doors.

34  Verily I say unto you, This generation shall not pass, till all these things be fulfilled.

In the context of Matt 24:29-31, Jesus uses characteristics of the fig tree to illustrate just how near His Second Advent will be after He makes His sign appearance---again reinforcing that there will be two phases to His return.

He had just spoken of things that will happen that Last Day's Israelites should keep in mind.  And what He says concerning "all these things" in verse 33 would have to also include "the sign of the Son of man in heaven" (not to mention the other signs!), of which He had just finished speaking.  Pause and read Matt 24:29-31 together with its "sandwich" verses to capture the true flow.

This is also the tenor of Mark and Luke's corresponding accounts.  But, from Luke's account we find something more that Jesus said, before giving His parable of the fig tree.  Pay close attention to what I have here emphasized, from Luke 21:

25  And there shall be signs in the sun, and in the moon, and in the stars;  and upon the earth distress of nations, with perplexity;  the sea and the waves roaring;

26  Men's hearts failing them for fear, and for looking after those things which are coming on the earth:  for the powers of heaven shall be shaken.

27  And then shall they see the Son of man coming in a cloud with power and great glory.

28  And when THESE THINGS BEGIN TO COME TO PASS, then look up, and lift up your heads (Jews);  FOR YOUR REDEMPTION DRAWETH NIGH.

29  And He spake to them a parable;  Behold the fig tree...

If what Luke records in verses 25-27 is interpreted to be Christ's Second Advent, verse 28 does not fit.  Do you see it?  When someone is present, their return is not pending, or "nigh."  Verse 28 will only fit if verses 25-27 are understood to be of the first phase of Christ's return, or His sign appearance, which is what He refers to this as in Matthew's account!  When the different accounts of Jesus' discourse are compared, everything comes into better focus, as should be expected.

In reflection upon what we have been looking at, if in His Olivet Discourse, Jesus purposed to provide information concerning His future return, is it not reasonable that He would speak concerning both phases of it, if there were indeed two?  Indeed, as it turns out, the evidence of His speaking of both of these phases is there---right in the middle of His discourse.

NOTE:  I have been asked to show on a chart how I am seeing things.  Below is one chart I have developed which I felt would also be helpful to include in this opening post.  As I showed above, Jesus mentions both phases of His return in Matthew's account of His Olivet Discourse.  Interestingly, but not surprisingly, John is shown both phases of Christ's return in The Revelation.  Not only is Jesus' Olivet Discourse a key to understanding The Revelation, The Revelation is a key to understanding the Olivet Discourse.  In The Revelation, the first phase of Christ's return (His "sign" appearance) occurs just after His opening of the 6th Seal (cp. Rev. 6:12-17 and 7:1-17 with Matt. 24:29-31 and Lk. 21:25-27).  This happens "immediately after the tribulation" (Matt. 24:29) that Jesus spoke of in the opening of His discourse (Matt. 24:4-14), which corresponds to the tribulation effected by the four horsemen of the first four seals.  As shown on the chart, the rapture will occur before, or pre-Daniel's 70th Week, which doesn't begin until Revelation 11:1, after the little book of Daniel is seen opened in Revelation 10 (cp. Rev. 10:1-2 with Dan. 12:4, 8-10).  Of course, the second phase of Christ's return, or His Second Advent, marks the end of Daniel's 70th Week, as shown on the chart and in Revelation 19:11-16.

image.png.ec257c3389928e2743388126b0156859.png

NOTE:  I later developed a master thread concerning A Totally Different Pre-Daniel's 70th Week Rapture Interpretation that I have, of which the above is a part.  Here is a link to that thread, which includes more information on this interpretation and a running list of all the other threads I have which pertain to it: (https://www.worthychristianforums.com/topic/253935-a-totally-different-pre-daniels-70th-week-rapture-interpretation/).

Edited by not an echo
to reset illustration and add link
  • Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Servant
  • Followers:  21
  • Topic Count:  244
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  7,000
  • Content Per Day:  3.28
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  09/23/1954

These are the two phases I see:

Phase 1: The LORD returns for His Own,

Phase 2: and so shall we always be with the Lord.

1 Thessalonians 4:17 The Return of the Lord
16For the Lord Himself will descend from heaven with a loud command, with the voice of an archangel, and with the trumpet of God, and the dead in Christ will be the first to rise. 17After that, we who are alive and remain will be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air. And so we will always be with the Lord. 18Therefore encourage one another with these words.…[Berean Study Bible]

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  30
  • Topic Count:  267
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  13,225
  • Content Per Day:  3.49
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  10/06/1947

Yes, Michael, great.

not an echo, you are only writing what the Lord said to Israel concerning His coming to THEM. You/we need to read what the Lord, the Head of the Body says to His believers through the apostle Paul. Why? Because it was to the apostle Paul that the Lord gave the revelation of His Body. And that revelation was NOT known in previous times, otherwise the enemy, Satan would have not crucified the Lord of Glory. (1 Cor: 2: 6 - 8)

Hope that gives you more understanding.

• Thumbs Up 2

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,364
  • Content Per Day:  0.58

20 hours ago, not an echo said:

That there will be two phases to Christ's return is a basic belief of the common pre-trib rapture view.  While I do not subscribe to the common view, Scripture does support that Christ's return will be in two phases. 

The first phase will be His sudden and unexpected return as a "thief" for the rapture of His Church and the resurrection. 

Rev 16:15,16- “Behold, I am coming as a thief. Blessed is he who watches, and keeps his garments, lest he walk naked and they see his shame.” Then they gathered the kings together to the place that in Hebrew is called Armageddon.

Now you can see that He is about to come as a thief and it is time for Armageddon!

The second phase will be His return as the "King of kings, and Lord of lords," for the Battle of Armageddon and His Millennial Reign.  This second phase of His return is normally referred to simply as His Second Coming.

You clearly show 2 future returns but try to call them "phases".

We can appropriately refer to the first phase of Christ's return as His Sign Return, based partly upon His use of the words "the sign" in the following portion of His Olivet Discourse, from Matthew 24:

29  Immediately after the tribulation of those days shall the sun be darkened, and the moon shall not give her light, and the stars shall fall from heaven, and the powers of the heavens shall be shaken:

30  And then shall appear THE SIGN of the Son of man in heaven:  and then shall all the tribes of the earth mourn, and they shall see the Son of man coming in the clouds of heaven with power and great glory.

31  And He shall send His angels with a great sound of a trumpet, and they shall gather together His elect from the four winds, from one end of heaven to the other.

Of course, there are major differences of opinion concerning the correct interpretation of this passage.  And I have other things on my heart concerning it, which I will not be able to post at this time.  But, as I begin, please remember some things.  One, it is Jesus who is using the words "the sign" concerning this return.  Two, just like after the opening of the 6th Seal, something happens that affects the appearance of the sun and the moon at this time.  And three, whether it be the first or second phase of His return, whether it be the raptured Church, the 144,000 sealed Jews, many eyes, or every eye, the next time Jesus is seen by anyone, He will be seen "with power and great glory"!:hurrah: (I love this little emoji!)

Looking closer, just before Jesus began His Olivet Discourse, the disciples had asked Him, "Tell us, when shall these things be?  and what shall be THE SIGN OF THY COMING, and of the end of the world?" (Matt. 24:3).  By this, they were as much as asking Him, "What shall be THE SIGN OF THY SECOND COMING?"  In reply, He reveals to them many things, but the only time He uses the definite article the with the singular word sign is in Matt 24:30.  Now, it may seem kind of odd that Jesus would indicate that before His Second Coming He is going to make a sign appearance.  Odd, until it is realized that at His sign appearance, He is coming to get something before He returns later to stay!  And, what is that?  Look again a little closer at what happens next...

31  And He shall send His angels with a great sound of a trumpet, and they shall GATHER TOGETHER HIS ELECT from the four winds, from one end of heaven to the other.

I wish I was talking to the reader in person right now, because I would like to ask you in your presence what it sounds like Jesus is talking about here.  Why?  Because many pre-trib scholars are interpreting this to be in reference to something besides the rapture.  Knowing the reasons for this, there are much better scriptural reasons to interpret this as a rapture passage than anything else.  A prime example is what Paul said to the Thessalonians (in an accepted rapture passage) to quench rumors that Christ's Second Coming was at hand.  Consider afresh, from II Thess 2 (with my clarifying notes in parentheses):

1   Now we beseech you, brethren, by the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ (at the rapture), and by OUR GATHERING TOGETHER unto Him (during the rapture),

2   That ye be not soon shaken in mind, or be troubled, neither by spirit, nor by word, nor by letter as from us, as that the Day of Christ (His Second Coming) is at hand.

If Paul's words and Jesus' words were puzzle pieces, they would fit right together and without any forcing.  Nevertheless, the fit of these pieces of Scripture seems to be largely missed.

To be sure, there are other things we must look at, and in time we will (the good Lord willing :)).  But for now, I want to call attention to the verses of Jesus' discourse that Matt 24:29-31 is sandwiched within (its immediate context) and how these support Christ's two phase return.  First of all, preceding verses 29-31 Jesus spoke these three verses (the top part of the sandwich, if you will)...

26  Wherefore if they shall say unto you, Behold, He is in the desert;  go not forth:  behold, He is in the secret chambers;  believe it not.

27  For as the lightning cometh out of the east, and shineth even unto the west;  so shall also the coming of the Son of man be.

28  For wheresoever the carcase is, there will the eagles be gathered together.

It seems everyone accepts what Jesus says in verse 27 to be of His Second Coming.  But, is this the same event of which He speaks three verses later, in verse 30?  There He says, "And then shall appear the sign of the Son of man in heaven."  These differing statements are not different angles on the same event.  The word sign denotes something far different that the substance of His coming for every eye to see as depicted in the above verses.  Why would Jesus use the words the sign in connection with this event, when His substance will be right before everyone!  However, the word sign will fit the event of the rapture, especially with this happening so quickly and the likelihood that He will make this sign appearance in the sky over Israel, for those in that hemisphere to witness.  Said another way, Jesus' differing words in verses 27 and 30 are not different angles on the same event, but different accounts of His future return, because it will be in two phases as so many of us already believe.

From another angle, if what Jesus reveals in Matt 24:29-31 is of His Second Coming, how would signs relating to the sun, the moon, and the stars at this time even rate an honorable mention?  With His Second Coming being "as the lightning" and what John sees in Rev 19:11-16, whatever else might be happening skyward would seem to pale into utter insignificance!  Really, what relevance would any kind of sign have in the face of Christ's Second Coming?  But, when understood to be connected with the first phase of His return and the rapture, such makes better sense.

Moving forward, following verses 29-31 Jesus spoke these three verses (the bottom part of the sandwich)...

32  Now learn a parable of the fig tree;  When his branch is yet tender, and putteth forth leaves, ye know that summer is nigh:

33  So likewise ye, when ye shall see all these things, know that it (HIS SECOND COMING!) is near, even at the doors.

34  Verily I say unto you, This generation shall not pass, till all these things be fulfilled.

In the context of Matt 24:29-31, Jesus uses characteristics of the fig tree to illustrate just how near His Second Coming will be after He makes His sign appearance---again reinforcing that there will be two phases to His return.

He had just spoken of things that will happen that Last Day's Israelites should keep in mind.  And what He says concerning "all these things" in verse 33 would have to also include "the sign of the Son of man in heaven" (not to mention the other signs!), of which He had just finished speaking.  Pause and read Matt 24:29-31 together with its "sandwich" verses to capture the true flow.

This is also the tenor of Mark and Luke's corresponding accounts.  But, from Luke's account we find something more that Jesus said, before giving His parable of the fig tree.  Pay close attention to what I have here emphasized, from Luke 21:

25  And there shall be signs in the sun, and in the moon, and in the stars;  and upon the earth distress of nations, with perplexity;  the sea and the waves roaring;

26  Men's hearts failing them for fear, and for looking after those things which are coming on the earth:  for the powers of heaven shall be shaken.

27  And then shall they see the Son of man coming in a cloud with power and great glory.

28  And when THESE THINGS BEGIN TO COME TO PASS, then look up, and lift up your heads (Jews);  FOR YOUR REDEMPTION DRAWETH NIGH.

29  And He spake to them a parable;  Behold the fig tree...

If what Luke records in verses 25-27 is interpreted to be Christ's Second Coming, verse 28 does not fit.  Do you see it?  When someone is present, their return is not pending, or "nigh."  Verse 28 will only fit if verses 25-27 are understood to be of the first phase of Christ's return, or His sign appearance, which is what He refers to this as in Matthew's account!  When the different accounts of Jesus' discourse are compared, everything comes into better focus, as should be expected.

In reflection upon what we have been looking at, if in His Olivet Discourse, Jesus purposed to provide information concerning His future return, is it not reasonable that He would speak concerning both phases of it, if there were indeed two?  Indeed, as it turns out, the evidence of His speaking of both of these phases is there---right in the middle of His discourse.

Hello,

Your description above of 2 phases is the language of the pre trib teaching. That is completely debunked by scripture.

About how far apart are you saying the so called phases are?

• Thumbs Up 2

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  774
  • Topics Per Day:  0.34
  • Content Count:  6,949
  • Content Per Day:  3.05
  • Days Won:  1

6 hours ago, Uriah said:

Hello,

Your description above of 2 phases is the language of the pre trib teaching. That is completely debunked by scripture.

About how far apart are you saying the so called phases are?

Did u read that kings n armies Will gather to battle Jesus at armageddon at the 2nd coming because they know He Will come with the saints , it surely different with the rapture when He come as thief in the night.

4 hours ago, R. Hartono said:

Did u read that kings n armies Will gather to battle Jesus at armageddon at the 2nd coming because they know He Will come with the saints , it surely different with the rapture when He come as thief in the night.

Hi Hartono,

I certainly did, and I wrote this above: 

Rev 16:15,16- “Behold, I am coming as a thief. Blessed is he who watches, and keeps his garments, lest he walk naked and they see his shame.” Then they gathered the kings together to the place that in Hebrew is called Armageddon.

Now you can see that He is about to come as a thief and it is time for Armageddon!

Do you think there are two comings as well?

Pre tribbers have the wrong idea of, "thief in the night." The idea often portrayed by their explanation indicates a scenario akin to one waking up and saying, "wow, would you look at that, some of my stuff is missing while I was sound asleep."

Not so in the sense of the biblical evidence: 1 Peter 3:10- But the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night; in the which the heavens shall pass away with a great noise, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat, the earth also and the works that are therein shall be burned up.

As anyone can see, the thief in the night scenario is equated with a great noise etc. You see, in earlier times when many people lived in a a small crude building, perhaps even just one main room. (see Luke 11:7...all in one bed).

Thieves breaking in would be a violent and terrifying event. From a sound sleep you would go to heart pounding dread! Like being in a dream where you are trying to run as fast as you can but you can get nowhere.

This is what the thief in the night reference is trying to convey. NOT some sort of unnoticed until after the fact marveling on how did THAT happen, far from it.

• Thumbs Up 3

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  65
  • Content Per Day:  0.04

I enjoy end-time discussions, but it comes down to practicality to me.  Regardless of the time, the important controllable factor is ARE WE DOING what He told us to do, or are we playing around without seriousness.  There are lots of indicators, and those are good, but the most important question is what are we doing?  Are we going to be found doing as He wanted?  

• Thumbs Up 4

2 hours ago, Ruth Also said:

I enjoy end-time discussions, but it comes down to practicality to me.  Regardless of the time, the important controllable factor is ARE WE DOING what He told us to do, or are we playing around without seriousness.  There are lots of indicators, and those are good, but the most important question is what are we doing?  Are we going to be found doing as He wanted?  

Amen to that Ruth! I would like to emphasize to be included with that the importance Jesus placed on His Kingdom. I am trying to make sure I am even doing things to benefit those who will be living here in His Kingdom after we are gone. 

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  774
  • Topics Per Day:  0.34
  • Content Count:  6,949
  • Content Per Day:  3.05
  • Days Won:  1

11 hours ago, Uriah said:

Hi Hartono,

I certainly did, and I wrote this above: 

Do you think there are two comings as well?

Very funny uriah, how can He comes as as thief if the Kings n armies of the world can prepare to battle Him at armageddon. ???????????

Edited by R. Hartono