• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  229
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  10,900
  • Content Per Day:  2.93
  • Days Won:  68
  • Birthday:  08/14/1954

On May 11, 1963, The Beatles released their first hit LP record Please Please Me, in the UK. It was a big one for the "Fab 4". The Brits already loved the lads as they had returned from Hamburg, Germany, playing their hearts out at a chance for stardom. They made it. The four guys from Liverpool, England, made a huge splash that crossed the Atlantic. Some months later in December, they appeared on the Ed Sullivan Show here in America. "Beatlemania" chaos ensued. The rest is history. Have a bash, everyone. This one's up for grabs. 

May 11 — in history

822877808_th(8).jpg.8ae4efffe8ab93949af1ab607fddb786.jpg

Please Please Me | The Beatles

The Beatles' Please Please Me album was rush-released by Parlophone on 22nd March, 1963 to capitalise on the enormous success of the title track which had been the group's second single and their first no. 1 in the majority of UK charts. Ten of the album's fourteen tracks were recorded in just one day - 11th February, 1963.

OIP.jpg.2b03382731a83dae4a81b71c622e8593.jpg

• Haha 1

Just a little side note that may or may not be of interest. In spite of the "mop-top" hairstyles and snugly fitted Pierre Cardin suits, The Beatles seemed on the outward to be a pretty clean bunch of guys. Well, pretty much. They all drank and smoked cigarettes and never hid that from the public. 

Not long after their appearances in America, more groups from the UK started their trek to our country. They had also made the charts and getting radio play. Most of them premiered on the Ed Sullivan Show like The Beatles did and also became instant pop stars. We called it, "The British Invasion". 

My sister and I were big fans. She started collecting the US releases on by one. We just had a simple record player. Few had streros during this time period. Later on, she passed the torch to me and I bought a $75 Zenith stereo set up. I purchased the stereo records then. A refreshing difference in sound. 

When CDs became quality, I purchased every issue from the UK and American releases. Slightly altered listings on these and it was nice to have both as comparatives. Also from the original master recordings and in both the stereo and monaural versions. There are sometimes remarkable audio changes on them. 

2072132056_OIP(5).jpg.132055a66cb0e41e6c11e28371c86636.jpg

LP: Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band

Edited by BeauJangles
  • Loved it! 1

• Followers:  39
  • Topic Count:  34
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  24,673
  • Content Per Day:  5.76
  • Days Won:  161
  • Birthday:  01/30/1985

Hey look it's me again :D 

Yes the Beatles were brilliant. They were brilliant and it is no wonder that they are so popular. Sir Paul is my favourite. There are mucicians and groups that I like more than them, but they are up there. 

What do you think was the big secret to their success?

• Loved it! 1

24 minutes ago, Henry_iain said:

Hey look it's me again :D 

Yes the Beatles were brilliant. They were brilliant and it is no wonder that they are so popular. Sir Paul is my favourite. There are mucicians and groups that I like more than them, but they are up there. 

What do you think was the big secret to their success?

Hi brother, 

Yeah, so I see. And thanks for contributing to the thread. Let's face it. The Beatles with their unique look and sound changed the industry of popular music forever. So many have attributed credit to their imaginative influence. Their innovative style of playing and vocal harmonies were infectious, if you don't mind the term. What was their big secret to success? A tremendous amount of determination, but first and foremost? Talent. 

• Loved it! 1
  • Well Said! 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  597
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,122
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

I need to watch the documentary   "They sold their souls for rock and roll"    very eye opening      and heart wrenching....   you can watch it for free on vimeo.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Well Said! 1

Yes, I have seen it. 

21 minutes ago, other one said:

"They sold their souls for rock and roll"

I believe it was Delta blues singer/musician Robert Johnson, who claimed he made a deal with the devil. 

• Thumbs Up 1

th5DJ2C7XP.jpg.9f8c43fa6597c87bf76ccdc9009d0bca.jpg 

Here's an interesting photograph of The Beatles in late Summer 1969. Taken at John Lennon's last British owned home known as, Tittenhust Estate. At this date the band had already agreed amongst themselves they had decided to call it quits. The tensions in the group had been escalating from disagreements into arguments. George and Ringo became angry and left studio sessions. It was during recording of the album, Let It Be.  

John and Paul being the major composing duo dissatisfied George. A good many of his songs were being ignored. He was advancing as a composer in his own right, but wasn't allowed more than a couple of tunes per album. Ringo on the other hand, was becoming further insecure about his percussion capabilities. He came back by popular demand by the guys, but George was still unhappy about his personal contributions.

By this time, they were also approaching their late 20's and maturing in as much we all realize full adulthood. Where to now from the top of the heap? Going solo for each was the final decision. All of them already had full LPs worth of tunes when the official announcement was made. Apparently, this had been coming on for quite some time, but it both shocked and saddened admirers. It was a dismal day when the news hit.  

Hopes they might reunite never happened. They did have one more contract agreement on a final album and put forth their best efforts for it. LP Abbey Road, was and still is one The Beatles finest. Side one was John's personal choice of arranging. He liked rocking out, obviously. Paul made an elaborate effort on side two with rich orchestral backed tunes. One song flowed into the next for its entirety. Producer George Martin was pleased.        

• Loved it! 1
  • Well Said! 1

• Followers:  39
  • Topic Count:  34
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  24,673
  • Content Per Day:  5.76
  • Days Won:  161
  • Birthday:  01/30/1985

Did you see the movie Yesterday? I really enjoyed it.

This is a photo from the Let It Be sessions album. It was released well after The Beatles said their last goodbyes. Their recording engineer and producer, George Martin was far less involved with overall project and American producer Phil Spector, took the mastertapes to remaster them. His "wall of sound" technology tried to induce synthesizer boosted choral and orchestrated effects to polish the simplistic 'live band' idea Paul McCartney had in mind. In my opinion, it was overdone and not the best from the group.

Paul's hopes were to veer away from the overdubbing they previously had done. Go back to performing live again just like the old days. John hated the plan and didn't want it from the beginning. The rest went along for the ride. There are some good songs on the LP, don't get me wrong. Hits also, they still are good. At the early turn of the century, Paul was able to access to the mastertapes and re- remastered them again. He took out Spector's 'ghost in the machine' so to speak and brought life back into it. It was a great effort on his part with the help of former producer, Martin. I greatly preferred it, but still like the original as well.  

425083924_OIP(6).jpg.6c9b7f064e54d4019b25449e342e076a.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1