BibleReader

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  98
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Days Won:  0

Matthew 24:2: "...Do you see all these buildings? I tell you the truth, they will be completely demolished. Not one stone will be left on top of another!”  

Would this have to be fulfilled in the generation of the first century?  Matthew 24:34:  "I tell you the truth, this generation will not pass from the scene until all these things take place." 

However, there is a problem.  Eusebius, "bishop of Caesarea" said that he could still see the remains of the sanctuary.  A traveler of Bordeaux gave the following testimony in A.D. 333: "At the side of the Sanctuary, there is a pierced stone. Jews visit there once a year, pour oil over it, lament and weep over it, and tear their garments in token of mourning. Then they return home."  Furthermore, the western wall is still visited today.  

Moreover, Irenaeus defended Christianity and went to great lengths to prove its veracity.  Nevertheless, if I understand correctly, when he referred to Matthew 24:15, he made a future application of the prophecy, not past (c. 130 – c. 202 AD).  

Since every stone of the temple apparently was not thrown down in the first century and early christian writers do not speak of the sign of the conclusion of the system of things as having taken place already, does this mean that everything Jesus said in Matthew 24, Mark 13 and Luke 21 is referring to the future? 

Edited by BibleReader
  • Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  25
  • Topic Count:  61
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  9,606
  • Content Per Day:  3.95
  • Days Won:  21

As far as I can determine, the wailing wall is part of the original fort and the retaining abutment to keep dirt and debris from impacting the actual temple. The wall is not a part of the temple itself. Herod imported architects and engineer from as far away as Rome to construct his masterpiece.

"Herod's massive building projects featured a distinctive style of stone-dressing. This stone-dressing method—usually featuring the pale local meleke limestone—was so prominently practiced in Herod's day that it has led to such terms as “Herodian blocks”, “Herodian masonry”, “Herodian dressing”, and the like. It makes Herodian stones easily discernible from the earlier stone courses below, and later ones above, in the surviving walls at many sites. Best known is the example of the impressive retaining walls of the Temple Mount, readily visible at the Western Wall."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herodian_architecture 
(I do not normally use WIKI, but this is an historical and undisputed commentary)

Edited by Justin Adams
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • This is Worthy 1
  • Thanks 1

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  171
  • Content Per Day:  0.12

26 minutes ago, BibleReader said:

Matthew 24:2: "...Do you see all these buildings? I tell you the truth, they will be completely demolished. Not one stone will be left on top of another!”  

Would this have to be fulfilled in the generation of the first century?  Matthew 24:34:  "I tell you the truth, this generation will not pass from the scene until all these things take place." 

However, there is a problem.  Eusebius, "bishop of Caesarea" said that he could still see the remains of the sanctuary.  A traveler of Bordeaux gave the following testimony in A.D. 333: "At the side of the Sanctuary, there is a pierced stone. Jews visit there once a year, pour oil over it, lament and weep over it, and tear their garments in token of mourning. Then they return home."  Furthermore, the western wall is still visited today.  

Moreover, Irenaeus defended Christianity and went to great lengths to prove its veracity.  Nevertheless, if I understand correctly, when he referred to Matthew 24:15, he made a future application of the prophecy, not past (c. 130 – c. 202 AD).  

Since every stone of the temple apparently was not thrown down in the first century and early christian writers do not speak of the sign of the conclusion of the system of things as having taken place already, does this mean that everything Jesus said in Matthew 24, Mark 13 and Luke 21 is referring to the future? 

There is only one way for all those stones to be removed.  That is a Nuclear Bomb detonated on the Temple Mount.

Of course it could be done by workmen.

So there are 2 ways.

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  195
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  11,054
  • Content Per Day:  6.50
  • Days Won:  36
  • Birthday:  01/09/1956

I don't know, but have been told that the Roman soldiers and others moved each stone in order to get at that gold that had melted when the temple was burned.

Is that a myth?

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  25
  • Topic Count:  61
  • Content Count:  9,606
  • Content Per Day:  3.95
  • Days Won:  21

1 minute ago, Alive said:

I don't know, but have been told that the Roman soldiers and others moved each stone in order to get at that gold that had melted when the temple was burned.

Is that a myth?

I do not think so. It was the Jews that initially fired the temple according to Josephus' account.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  171
  • Content Per Day:  0.12

23 minutes ago, Alive said:

Is that a myth?

Yes

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  68
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  2,229
  • Content Per Day:  1.36
  • Birthday:  03/25/1961

If this is about the Temple.. "Not one stone will be left on top of another" happened. The fire made the gold run down into the stones..so they turned over every stone to get the gold.

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  98
  • Content Per Day:  0.07

55 minutes ago, TheBlade said:

If this is about the Temple.. "Not one stone will be left on top of another" happened. The fire made the gold run down into the stones..so they turned over every stone to get the gold.

Do you happen to have a reference?  I'd be interested in researching this point further.  Thanks.  

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  30
  • Content Count:  108
  • Content Per Day:  0.11

Research "Titus' soldiers set fire to Temple"

His soldiers, not Jews, set it on fire.

Josephus was an eyewitness.

Yes, soldiers pryed stones apart to get at melted gold.

The wailing wall is not part of the Temple.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Content Count:  839
  • Content Per Day:  0.44

very interesting points here