Markesmith

• Group:  Catholic
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  64
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  404
  • Content Per Day:  0.30
  • Days Won:  0

Scriptures refer to tongues as foreign languages!

Acts 2:Now when this was noised abroad, the multitude came together, and were confounded, because that every man heard them speak in his own language.

And they were all amazed and marvelled, saying one to another, Behold, are not all these which speak Galilaeans?

And how hear we every man in our own tongue, wherein we were born?

Parthians, and Medes, and Elamites, and the dwellers in Mesopotamia, and in Judaea, and Cappadocia, in Pontus, and Asia,

10 Phrygia, and Pamphylia, in Egypt, and in the parts of Libya about Cyrene, and strangers of Rome, Jews and proselytes,

11 Cretes and Arabians, we do hear them speak in our tongues the wonderful works of God.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.80
  • Days Won:  226

I do not support tongues in our world today. 

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  598
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,129
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

6 hours ago, Markesmith said:

Scriptures refer to tongues as foreign languages!

Acts 2:Now when this was noised abroad, the multitude came together, and were confounded, because that every man heard them speak in his own language.

And they were all amazed and marvelled, saying one to another, Behold, are not all these which speak Galilaeans?

And how hear we every man in our own tongue, wherein we were born?

Parthians, and Medes, and Elamites, and the dwellers in Mesopotamia, and in Judaea, and Cappadocia, in Pontus, and Asia,

10 Phrygia, and Pamphylia, in Egypt, and in the parts of Libya about Cyrene, and strangers of Rome, Jews and proselytes,

11 Cretes and Arabians, we do hear them speak in our tongues the wonderful works of God.

so what and where was the miracle....    were the deciples speaking in many languages at the same time, or was the miracle that they were speaking in the local language and everyone was hearing differently...    like they had a mental translator...

I will say that I do pray in tongues when the Lord moves me to do so and it has never been because I wanted to...   I can't make it happen...    I do not know why or why it seems to be needed.  Sometimes I understand what it's for and sometimes not....    a few times I know who it's for but understand what it's about is none of my business...

the kind of tongues that you are posting the scripture about I personally have never observed...    but I do have acquaintances who have been missionaries in various countries that tell me it happens when the Lord needs it.

• Thumbs Up 2

Yes mostly in the missions!

miracle? The apostles speaking in a their own language and the heard them in their languages. Only God can do that!

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  75
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,955
  • Content Per Day:  0.26
  • Days Won:  1

There are different purposes for tongues (spiritual language).  For one its a sign of the Baptism of the Holy Spirit (Acts 2 & 10).  Two it is used to as a prayer language to pray via the Holy Spirit.   Three the gift of tongues which is used in church gatherings can be used to edify the body if interpreted like prophecy.  Four praying in the Holy Spirit is used to edify oneself spiritually.

Edited by Jedi4Yahweh
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Well Said! 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  66
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  2,217
  • Content Per Day:  1.36
  • Birthday:  03/25/1961

No I disagree with your personal view. And you have not even touched this. Even Christ said "And these signs will accompany those who believe: in my name they will cast out demons; they will speak in new tongues; "

So much more then "earthly languages"

• Thumbs Up 1
  • This is Worthy 1
  • Praise God! 1

Some say the language each apostle spoke at Pentecost indicated the land they would preach the gospel to

• 3 months later...

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  771
  • Content Per Day:  0.53
  • Birthday:  10/07/1947

On 8/13/2020 at 5:39 AM, missmuffet said:

I do not support tongues in our world today. 

Get a pair of scissors and cut out the references to the spiritual gifts in 1 Corinthians 12, and the whole of 1 Corinthians 14, because you have decided that these parts of the Holy Spirit inspired Word of God don't apply to you.  But don't be surprised if wherever you fellowship you don't see any evidence of the Holy Spirit's involvement in what happens there.  All you might see is a service made up of three hymns and a sermon, all of man's programming, lasting an hour on Sunday morning, and the members leaving the building as if they had just been to the dentist.

• This is Worthy 1
  • Well Said! 2

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  100
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  41,191
  • Content Per Day:  7.98
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

35 minutes ago, Paul James said:

But don't be surprised if wherever you fellowship you don't see any evidence of the Holy Spirit's involvement in what happens there.

After I was born from above I realized I did not need sensual proof ... God's Word was sufficient in all areas of Spirit filled walk....

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  771
  • Content Per Day:  0.53
  • Birthday:  10/07/1947

2 hours ago, enoob57 said:

After I was born from above I realized I did not need sensual proof ... God's Word was sufficient in all areas of Spirit filled walk....

True, but the Pharisees thought the same, and they missed knowing Jesus as their Messiah.   The disciples of John the Baptist came from John who asked if Jesus was really the one he was introducing.   Jesus told them, "Go and report to John what you have seen and heard: the blind receive sight, the lame walk, the lepers are cleansed, and the deaf hear, the dead are raised up, the poor have the gospel preached to them. 23 Blessed is he who does not take offense at Me.” (Luke 7:22-23).

So, we can ask the same question:  "How do we know that Jesus is present in the person of the Holy Spirit in our church services?"  Do the blind receive sight, the lame walk, diseased people are cured, the deaf hear, the dead are raised up, and the true gospel is preached.   In other words, if we don't see the manifestation of the gifts of the Spirit in our church services, then what evidence have we that the Holy Spirit is active?   I say, absolutely none!  Without the manifestation of the gifts, folk are just playing church with their three hymns and sermon.  They go out and have tea and biscuits for morning tea and instead of going home full of the Spirit, they go home full of tea and biscuits!

In Luke 4:18 Jesus said, "“The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he has anointed me to proclaim good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim liberty to the captives and recovering of sight to the blind, to set at liberty those who are oppressed."   So, in churches where the gospel is not preached, blind people don't receive their sight, and folk are not set free from the oppression of the devil through sickness and demonic activity, then we can only conclude that there is no anointing of the Spirit present there.

Acts 10:38 says, "how God anointed Jesus of Nazareth with the Holy Spirit and with power. He went about doing good and healing all who were oppressed by the devil, for God was with him."   What this means that a church that is genuinely representing Jesus, Who is our example for Christian ministry, will be healing all who are oppressed by the devil, and the example of Jesus healing the woman who was bent over almost double, when He said, "Why shouldn't I heal this woman who has been oppressed of the devil these last 18 years?"    If a church is not healing those oppressed by the devil, then where is the evidence of Holy Spirit anointing?  Certainly not in those churches!

So, let's get real and be consistent with the Scriptures instead of making up nonsense and lies to justify lack of power through unbelief in what God has clearly shown us in His Word.   If churches are making God out to be a liar, then it is no wonder all they have is man's programme of three hymns and a sermon and nothing more.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • This is Worthy 1
  • Loved it! 1