IGNORED

How many priests does it take to conduct a liturgy?

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  25
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0

One more question that might sound stupid, but I'm not very knowledgeable. I assumed one is enough, but sometimes I see more than one. Or maybe I confuse deacons with priests...

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  908
  • Topics Per Day:  0.19
  • Content Count:  9,653
  • Content Per Day:  2.02
  • Days Won:  9

One day you will learn it only takes one (not necessarily in religious rote like liturgy)

YOU.

All believers are priests of God (Revelation 1:6 / Revelation 5:10 / 1 Peter 2:3-9).

It doesn't mean you are supernaturally endowed with knowledge and experience...

2 Timothy 2:15 (AV)
15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

Begin at the beginning (not where you think) at 2 Peter 1:20-21 which tells us to know this first:

1. the Holy Spirit alone interprets the entire Bible

2. the Holy Spirit wrote the entire Bible prophetically

The wrong way of dividing the word of truth (all the millions of misinterpretations) comes from not giving

the interpretational authority to the Holy Spirit alone (who wrote the word of truth).

No mere human or human system or denomination et al deserves that authority.

Do not be deceived by mere mortal men who are all too easily steered by the deceiver Satan.

Human nature is a free ticket for evil to cruise down your highway. 

We must seek the Holy Spirit, turn to him, ensure it is him and not a counterfeit (1 John 4:1) because we are so easily deceived... 

We test the spirits (including the Holy Spirit) and prove all things (1 Thessalonians 5:21) by the scriptures themselves (Acts 17:11,

2 Timothy 3:16, Proverbs 25:2, Deuteronomy 29:29, Isaiah 28:9-13).

I would copy this down for later reference.

It's a lot to receive up front at such an early stage in your priesthood.

Do not mistake the Church Organism for which Christ died... with the Church Organization which leads people astray. 

There are saved people in it... only in spite  of the traditions of man based faith (Mark 7:13 / Mark 7:7). 

The greatest goal and purpose for your faith is to know and be known by Christ Jesus.

Otherwise:

Matthew 7:21–23 (AV)
21 Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.
22 Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?
23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

Notice they were apparently devoted and did amazing things... at least by all outward appearances. 

But the one thing that they needed never happened.

It is entirely possible (and I would suggest the scriptures indicate overwhelmingly possible see Matthew 7:13-15) to follow the traditions of man

or believe in a counterfeit Jesus and in the end when it is too late to change your eternal destination find that you climbed the wrong spiritual ladder.

Bless you in your growing priesthood in the Genuine Jesus Christ.

• Group:  Non-Conformist Theology
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  118
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  4,361
  • Content Per Day:  2.30
  • Birthday:  02/03/1953

10 hours ago, LittleMan123 said:

One more question that might sound stupid, but I'm not very knowledgeable. I assumed one is enough, but sometimes I see more than one. Or maybe I confuse deacons with priests...

I'm not sure I understand exactly what you are talking about, but if a church has more than one priest, it might want to give more than one something to do during the liturgy so he/she doesn't feel left out.

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  25

10 hours ago, JohnD said:

One day you will learn it only takes one (not necessarily in religious rote like liturgy)

YOU.

All believers are priests of God (Revelation 1:6 / Revelation 5:10 / 1 Peter 2:3-9).

It doesn't mean you are supernaturally endowed with knowledge and experience...

2 Timothy 2:15 (AV)
15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

Begin at the beginning (not where you think) at 2 Peter 1:20-21 which tells us to know this first:

1. the Holy Spirit alone interprets the entire Bible

2. the Holy Spirit wrote the entire Bible prophetically

The wrong way of dividing the word of truth (all the millions of misinterpretations) comes from not giving

the interpretational authority to the Holy Spirit alone (who wrote the word of truth).

No mere human or human system or denomination et al deserves that authority.

Do not be deceived by mere mortal men who are all too easily steered by the deceiver Satan.

Human nature is a free ticket for evil to cruise down your highway. 

We must seek the Holy Spirit, turn to him, ensure it is him and not a counterfeit (1 John 4:1) because we are so easily deceived... 

We test the spirits (including the Holy Spirit) and prove all things (1 Thessalonians 5:21) by the scriptures themselves (Acts 17:11,

2 Timothy 3:16, Proverbs 25:2, Deuteronomy 29:29, Isaiah 28:9-13).

I would copy this down for later reference.

It's a lot to receive up front at such an early stage in your priesthood.

Do not mistake the Church Organism for which Christ died... with the Church Organization which leads people astray. 

There are saved people in it... only in spite  of the traditions of man based faith (Mark 7:13 / Mark 7:7). 

The greatest goal and purpose for your faith is to know and be known by Christ Jesus.

Otherwise:

Matthew 7:21–23 (AV)
21 Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.
22 Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?
23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

Notice they were apparently devoted and did amazing things... at least by all outward appearances. 

But the one thing that they needed never happened.

It is entirely possible (and I would suggest the scriptures indicate overwhelmingly possible see Matthew 7:13-15) to follow the traditions of man

or believe in a counterfeit Jesus and in the end when it is too late to change your eternal destination find that you climbed the wrong spiritual ladder.

Bless you in your growing priesthood in the Genuine Jesus Christ.

Are you a protestant?

• Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  598
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,190
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

21 hours ago, LittleMan123 said:

I think it would depend on the denomination...    Catholics can have mass without a priest.  There are written procedures on how to do so...   For other denominations I'd have to look it up..

• Topic Count:  908
  • Topics Per Day:  0.19
  • Content Count:  9,653
  • Content Per Day:  2.02
  • Days Won:  9

On 8/31/2020 at 7:11 PM, LittleMan123 said:

Are you a protestant?

I am a Christian devoid of denominations or labels. Other than being a Christian, of course.

• Well Said! 2

• Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  56
  • Content Per Day:  0.03

If you are referring to a Catholic mass or Christian service such as a Lutheran or Episcopal service, then it requires only one priest or pastor.  Often a deacon will assist if one is available.  As stated in the given answer by Other One above, Catholics can have a modified mass in the absence of a priest within specific procedural rules.  However, the consecration of bread and wine cannot be performed by anyone except an ordained priest.  In the absence of a priest, holy communion may be distributed by a deacon and assistants providing consecrated hosts are already available for use.  A priest can also celebrate the mass alone.  I know this was done during the early stages of the pandemic this year.  Whether alone, or with an assistant, or any number of participants, I'm certain that God is pleased to see His people eager to join together in offering Him worship. 

• 3 weeks later...

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  24

Matthew 18:20 "For where two or three gather in my name, there am I with them.”
This is ALL that is required to be in the special presence of Jesus Christ. Believers meeting to worship Jesus Christ our Lord. This is church. Not a fancy building with a paid staff.  I pray that you can read the bible and put away any man-made notion of what church is other than what is stated by Jesus and in Acts. God has made it beautifully simple. Church can be anywhere at anytime!  

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  43
  • Topic Count:  229
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  10,900
  • Content Per Day:  2.92
  • Days Won:  68
  • Birthday:  08/14/1954

On 8/30/2020 at 7:45 PM, LittleMan123 said:

Liturgy is the customary public worship performed by a religious group. As a religious phenomenon, liturgy represents a communal response to and participation in the sacred through activity reflecting praise, thanksgiving, supplication or repentance. It forms a basis for establishing a relationship with a divine agency, as well as with other participants in the liturgy.

Liturgy
[ˈlidərjē]

NOUN
liturgy (noun) · liturgies (plural noun) · Liturgy (noun) · the Liturgy (noun)
  1. a form or formulary according to which public religious worship, especially Christian worship, is conducted.
    "the Church of England liturgy" ·
    "a tradition which found its expression in ritual and liturgy"
    • a religious service conducted according to a liturgy.
      "at the conclusion of the liturgy the Bishop presented the certificates"
      synonyms:
    • (the Liturgy)
      the Eucharistic service of the Eastern Orthodox Church (also called the Divine Liturgy).
  2. (in ancient Greece) a public office or duty performed voluntarily by a rich Athenian.

Generally speaking, in most mainstream Protestant church denominations, there is a system of church leaders, being a lead pastor or minister, sometimes having the title of a reverend, or commonly referred to as a preacher. This would vary on the particular branch. Under them are elders, then deacons, sometimes known as stewards. Bishops and the like are also part of more formalized congregations, but they're more or less in similarity to apostles in some instances. Orthodox faiths of Anglicanism and Catholicism sects have a lengthy line of lay persons, priests, monseniors, monks, cardinals, bishops, so it varies. I hope this didn't mix you up further with too much information. 
Edited by BeauJangles

• 10 months later...

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  1,265
  • Topics Per Day:  0.44
  • Content Count:  2,637
  • Content Per Day:  0.92
  • Birthday:  02/04/1972

Pursuant to the Holy Scripture, everyone need to contribute to the edifying of Christ's Body:

• 1Co 14:26 -> "How is it then, brethren? when ye come together, every one of you hath a psalm, hath a doctrine, hath a tongue, hath a revelation, hath an interpretation. Let all things be done unto edifying.

After all, in a body, each member has its function.