Mantis

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  14
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  180
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Days Won:  0

What would you do if God told you “I wish you were hot”?

I am an introverted person and really don’t want Jesus to spew me out of his mouth Being Luke warm. I would talk about God all day long if any one had any interest. I have tried my family and have with friends and it just seems there is no interest in God which makes me even less likely to try to talk about Him. I don’t have any Christian friends so the only people that have interest are fellow church goers which would be preaching to the choir.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  108
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  3,824
  • Content Per Day:  1.29
  • Days Won:  2

46 minutes ago, Mantis said:

I am an introverted person and really don’t want Jesus to spew me out of his mouth Being Luke warm. I would talk about God all day long if any one had any interest. I have tried my family and have with friends and it just seems there is no interest in God which makes me even less likely to try to talk about Him. I don’t have any Christian friends so the only people that have interest are fellow church goers which would be preaching to the choir.

Let me give you some immediate relief here!  Introverted does not mean spiritually lukewarm.

And just because you are surrounded by non-believers does not make you lukewarm.  Just your coming here and posting your fears over this is evidence that you are NOT lukewarm as defined by Jesus.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

When Jesus spoke of that to the church at Laodicea in Revelation 3, this is what he said:  "I know your works, that you are neither cold nor hot. I could wish you were cold or hot. So then, because you are lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will vomit you out of My mouth."

He isn't talking about having no one who will listen to your gospel or being introverted.  Jesus is talking about people and churches who are complacent, unwilling, spiritual couch potatoes, and they know it and are content to be useless.

They don't pray.  They don't read the Bible.  They don't seek God daily.  They don't have a desire for any spiritual things.

They don't even try to engage the world for Christ.  They don't care anymore. They have become nauseating to Jesus.  It's that bad!

These are people and churches who just live life according to their own desires and spiritual matters do not interest them at all.

• Well Said! 3

• Topic Count:  72
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  10,225
  • Content Per Day:  7.08
  • Days Won:  99

3 minutes ago, Mantis said:

I know thy works, that thou art neither cold nor hot: I would thou wert cold or hot. So then because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spue thee out of my mouth. Because thou sayest, I am rich, and increased with goods, and have need of nothing; and knowest not that thou art wretched, and miserable, and poor, and blind, and naked: I counsel thee to buy of me gold tried in the fire, that thou mayest be rich; and white raiment, that thou mayest be clothed, and that the shame of thy nakedness do not appear; and anoint thine eyes with eyesalve, that thou mayest see. (Revelation 3:15-18)

Years ago the Lord sent me to the wilderness where I set aside my life for the sake of one who was hardened and bitter, @Mantis. At first I wasn't aware of our Father's hand in these affairs, cognizant only of their pressing need; indeed, I had fled from the Lord's calling decades before and considered myself hopelessly lost and despised by God. The aimless path I traveled brought me to their side. 

I was convinced the Lord had spewed me out His mouth!

I was silent regarding the Lord for so very long, never speaking a word about Him to anyone, believing myself unworthy of the privilege. Who would have known this was precisely what my friend needed, Mantis? Due to their tragic upbringing and the unspeakable suffering they had endured over the years --- she was born into a family of believers and was once a believer herself, but was treated cruelly and even savagely by them --- my friend fancied herself an atheist and loathed Christians with a vengeance. 

She was forsaken by her family and children to die alone in the wilderness; they had collectively turned a blind eye and deaf ear to her plight. And so our Father in heaven sent yours truly, a failure at everything under the sun, to protect her, care for her, and ultimately bear witness of the Lord's enduring love. Here is the wisdom of our Lord Jesus Christ: my actions and conduct preached what words could not. If she had known I was Christian that day we met on the dirt road she would have likely ascribed ulterior motives to my actions on her behalf. She would have turned her back and walked away instead of inviting me into her home. 

The bond we formed was powerful and enduring, much like the love of Christ for this woman who was forsaken by her own. She fulfilled Matthew 25:34-40 by her treatment of me, the very least of brethren, and so our Lord honored her. When the truth was revealed after my baptism in the Spirit our friend was sent reeling: how could she reconcile everything she thought she knew about the Lord and Christians with my example? I remained by her side through the darkest of times and she trusted me with her life. I never abandoned her nor did I preach words at her...

I simply loved her as Christ Jesus loved her. That was the Holy Spirit's commandment to me, that I would pray for her and love her as the Lord loved me.  

Words aren't always needed, my friend. Actions speak louder than our words at times. :) 

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Well Said! 1

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  192
  • Content Per Day:  0.14
  • Days Won:  1

Jayne is SO right!

I don't think, Mantis, you are making God sick and He is rejecting you because you can't find anyone who is interested in listening to you sharing God's truths. Remember that your quiet, pure lifestyle in itself can be a witness for Christ when you are walking with Him day to day.

Be open and ready to share, and if the opportunity doesn't arrive don't condemn yourself and feel down. Lots of believers have introverted personalities, but God can use them in the right contexts. We are not all the same, although there are times when we may need to take a stand. And don't forget that God can change us too, step by step, if necessary. It may take time!

Try not to get too hung up thinking about being lukewarm rather than hot. This context belongs to Revelation 3 and is often applied to individual Christians, which is understandable of course. But Christ is here telling an entire wealthy church at Laodicea that He is rejecting them collectively because He is disgusted (sickened) by their condition.

Laodicea was an upmarket wealthy place and the church there had been distracted by prosperity—and that must have included the spiritual leaders in the church who were supposed to watching out for people like you and me.

Sometimes we find ourselves struggling to abide in Christ as we should. There are times when we are distracted by the influence of the world or with the cares of daily life. Rather than thinking we are like the church in Laodicea, making Christ disgusted and sick, and causing Him to reject us, consider instead these words in 1st John 3:21:

"...if our conscience does not condemn us, we have confidence in the presence of God" (NET Bible).

And if we do have sin, we can repent and find forgiveness.

• Well Said! 1

• Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  15
  • Content Count:  5,731
  • Content Per Day:  3.53
  • Days Won:  12

2 hours ago, Mantis said:

Being "hot", in this context, means being on fire for God, with holy, loving zeal.  You can be shy, holy, loving and zealous for God; it will just come out in a shy way (and there's nothing wrong with that).

You don't have to be an extrovert, to be on fire for the Lord; in fact, the empty vessels often make the most noise...

• Thumbs Up 1

• Topic Count:  72
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  10,225
  • Content Per Day:  7.08
  • Days Won:  99

We often overlook "cold" which precedes "hot" in the Lord's message to the Laodiceans. In our mind, "cold" is to be avoided and yet the Lord Himself indicates His preference for cold or hot over lukewarm!

"Hot" is understood as zeal and "on fire" for the Lord: a passion for Christ as it were. This describes where I was after my baptism in water. Zeal was my middle name! I ventured into parts of town where no one in the congregation would dare go; I was counseled by elders to avoid those neighborhoods and yet this is where I was drawn like a moth to the flame. I visited the elderly there and did odd jobs and other chores for them... I made dinners at home and distributed them to folks... I visited with addicts and "winos," speaking at length about the Lord. I was crushed when my words seemed to have little effect upon those who heard them. 

"Cold" is refreshing and restorative, offering comfort to the weary. This describes where I've been since my baptism in Spirit: slow to speak, quick to listen, and dedicated to serving the needs of my neighbor withholding nothing good from them. Is this not what the Lord has done for us all? Not only did Christ Jesus love us first but He served us before we were raised up to serve righteousness in His name. Therefore I find myself in a desperate part of this city where I dwell not unlike the neighborhoods I frequented decades ago. I work for the sake of the homeless and instead of charging out of the stall like a bull during springtime, I listen to God's Spirit and temper what I say and do by His leading. I understand that my conduct is the weightier measure of my witness. My conduct makes the words I speak more meaningful to the listener.  

Hot or cold, the Lord prefers either to lukewarm. :) 

• Thumbs Up 2

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  693
  • Content Per Day:  0.42
  • Days Won:  0

6 hours ago, Mantis said:

I honestly don't know what that means really.

Does being 'hot for G-d' mean you sit around all day, talking about G-d?   I can't see ever doing that.   What is there to say about G-d that the Bible does not already say hundreds on hundreds of times?

I had one tell me that I needed to meditate on the Lord.   I don't know what that means.  Sit with my legs crossed humming to myself, and thinking "G-d is good" over and over?

I don't know.

Had another tell me, I needed to journal every day.   After a month worth of journal entries that said "Got up. Went to work.  Worked. Came home.  Went to bed."  I realized this was stupid and a waste of time.

So I don't know what being hot for G-d means.  I try and do the best I know how.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  52
  • Topic Count:  1,025
  • Topics Per Day:  0.15
  • Content Count:  12,350
  • Content Per Day:  1.80
  • Days Won:  92

3 hours ago, DDisconnect said:

I had to do a double take because I thought you meant something else by "hot". Jayne has answered well though, I just had to say that.

Me too.  I was almost going to report it until I read more of the post! :angel:

@Mantis Don't worry about being an introvert.   Many godly people are introverts.   Remember God looks at the heart.   Btw, you will reach others more by living a godly life and loving others, than by jumping all over them about religion.   Then when you have an opportunity, then you can speak to others about faith in Christ.

20_Pr27_19.jpg.f70949c7ef5da1fd87a50d832396ed48.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Loved it! 1

• Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  4,265
  • Content Per Day:  2.91

5 hours ago, Marathoner said:

We often overlook "cold" which precedes "hot" in the Lord's message to the Laodiceans. In our mind, "cold" is to be avoided and yet the Lord Himself indicates His preference for cold or hot over lukewarm!

"Hot" is understood as zeal and "on fire" for the Lord: a passion for Christ as it were. This describes where I was after my baptism in water. Zeal was my middle name! I ventured into parts of town where no one in the congregation would dare go; I was counseled by elders to avoid those neighborhoods and yet this is where I was drawn like a moth to the flame. I visited the elderly there and did odd jobs and other chores for them... I made dinners at home and distributed them to folks... I visited with addicts and "winos," speaking at length about the Lord. I was crushed when my words seemed to have little effect upon those who heard them. 

"Cold" is refreshing and restorative, offering comfort to the weary. This describes where I've been since my baptism in Spirit: slow to speak, quick to listen, and dedicated to serving the needs of my neighbor withholding nothing good from them. Is this not what the Lord has done for us all? Not only did Christ Jesus love us first but He served us before we were raised up to serve righteousness in His name. Therefore I find myself in a desperate part of this city where I dwell not unlike the neighborhoods I frequented decades ago. I work for the sake of the homeless and instead of charging out of the stall like a bull during springtime, I listen to God's Spirit and temper what I say and do by His leading. I understand that my conduct is the weightier measure of my witness. My conduct makes the words I speak more meaningful to the listener.  

Hot or cold, the Lord prefers either to lukewarm. :) 

Exactly. The context of the hot and cold in Laodicea was the springs that served the city. Apparently they met somewhere creating a stagnant pond which was unfit for drinking (cold) or therapeutic (hot) use.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Well Said! 1

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  774
  • Topics Per Day:  0.34
  • Content Count:  6,949
  • Content Per Day:  3.06

9 hours ago, Mantis said:

I once had a fellow office staff who was very passionate abt speaking Bible which can take hours, later i discovered a complaint from office boy who told me that man used to give him smelly n  expired wrecked unedible can biscuits, which was the remaining crap in the can.

Just sayin.???????

Edited by R. Hartono