• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  41
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  686
  • Content Per Day:  0.30
  • Days Won:  0

Ruth chapter 1 verse 22

22 So Naomi returned from Moab accompanied by Ruth the Moabite, her daughter-in-law, arriving in Bethlehem as the barley harvest was beginning.

Ruth chapter 4

13 So Boaz took Ruth and she became his wife. When he made love to her, the Lord enabled her to conceive, and she gave birth to a son. 14 The women said to Naomi: “Praise be to the Lord, who this day has not left you without a guardian-redeemer. May he become famous throughout Israel! 15 He will renew your life and sustain you in your old age. For your daughter-in-law, who loves you and who is better to you than seven sons, has given him birth.”

16 Then Naomi took the child in her arms and cared for him. 17 The women living there said, “Naomi has a son!” And they named him Obed. He was the father of Jesse, the father of David.

Deuteronomy chapter 23 verse 3

No Ammonite or Moabite or any of their descendants may enter the assembly of the LORD, not even in the tenth generation.

Matthew chapter 1 verse 17

Thus there were fourteen generations in all from Abraham to David, fourteen from David to the exile to Babylon, and fourteen from the exile to the Messiah.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  75
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,955
  • Content Per Day:  0.26
  • Days Won:  1

Good question, which I dont have a solid answer for but I will do my best.

Maybe it could be interpreted, 'up until the 10th generation they will not be allowed to join in the assembly of the Lord' which is Israel. 

Moabites were the descendants of Lot (Abraham's nephew) whom God saved from Sodom and Gomorrah and God went out of his way to to ensure their protection... 

And the LORD said to me, 'Do not harass Moab or contend with them in battle, for I will not give you any of their land for a possession, because I have given Ar to the people of Lot for a possession.' [Deu 2:9 ESV]

...but the Moabites feared Israel when they were trying to peacefully pass through their land and hired Balaam the Prophet to try and curse Israel and God in turn cursed them back.

The way I read and understand it, they were cursed and not allowed to join with Israel for up to 10 generations from that time point.  Maybe I am misinterpreting that, but seems logical.  I am not sure how many generations had passed since Ruth came along, but maybe she was beyond the 10th generational curse.

Either way, God has made exceptions such as Rahab the Harlot whom by God's command had to be killed because she and her family where one of the Canaanites the lived in the Promised Land that God ordered to be utterly destroyed, but God made an exception for her and her family.

But in the cities of these peoples that the LORD your God is giving you for an inheritance, you shall save alive nothing that breathes, but you shall devote them to complete destruction, the Hittites and the Amorites, the Canaanites and the Perizzites, the Hivites and the Jebusites, as the LORD your God has commanded, that they may not teach you to do according to all their abominable practices that they have done for their gods, and so you sin against the LORD your God. [Deu 20:16-18 ESV]

Edited by Jedi4Yahweh
  • This is Worthy 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  107
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  3,820
  • Content Per Day:  1.30
  • Days Won:  2

My opinion for what it is worth?

Ruth converted and forsook her pagan roots.

To her mother-in-law:  "Where you go I will go, and where you stay I will stay. Your people will be my people and your God my God. Where you die I will die, and there I will be buried."  Ruth 1:16-17

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Praise God! 1

• Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  4,264
  • Content Per Day:  2.93

40 minutes ago, Jayne said:

My opinion for what it is worth?

Ruth converted and forsook her pagan roots.

To her mother-in-law:  "Where you go I will go, and where you stay I will stay. Your people will be my people and your God my God. Where you die I will die, and there I will be buried."  Ruth 1:16-17

I've asked several Jewish people about this and this seems to be the reason. I asked more in the sense that Jewishness is through the matriarchal line.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  771
  • Topics Per Day:  0.34
  • Content Count:  6,938
  • Content Per Day:  3.06

Just ask Jesus when He returns.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  126
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2,086
  • Content Per Day:  0.57
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  09/15/1956

9 hours ago, john1 said:

Ruth chapter 1 verse 22

22 So Naomi returned from Moab accompanied by Ruth the Moabite, her daughter-in-law, arriving in Bethlehem as the barley harvest was beginning.

Ruth chapter 4

13 So Boaz took Ruth and she became his wife. When he made love to her, the Lord enabled her to conceive, and she gave birth to a son. 14 The women said to Naomi: “Praise be to the Lord, who this day has not left you without a guardian-redeemer. May he become famous throughout Israel! 15 He will renew your life and sustain you in your old age. For your daughter-in-law, who loves you and who is better to you than seven sons, has given him birth.”

16 Then Naomi took the child in her arms and cared for him. 17 The women living there said, “Naomi has a son!” And they named him Obed. He was the father of Jesse, the father of David.

Deuteronomy chapter 23 verse 3

No Ammonite or Moabite or any of their descendants may enter the assembly of the LORD, not even in the tenth generation.

Matthew chapter 1 verse 17

Thus there were fourteen generations in all from Abraham to David, fourteen from David to the exile to Babylon, and fourteen from the exile to the Messiah.

The difference is those who are believers vs unbelievers.    If an Eunuch where to convert and follow God He would be allowed in the Temple. 

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Topic Count:  905
  • Topics Per Day:  0.19
  • Content Count:  9,646
  • Content Per Day:  2.02
  • Days Won:  9

There appears to be a point being made by the Author of Ruth (who is the Holy Spirit according to 2 Peter 1:20-21) in the ten generations listed in Ruth 4:18-22.  The LORD doesn't see or do things the way man does (Proverbs 14:12 / Proverbs 16:25). 

Example:

Genesis 2:17 (AV)
17 But of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, thou shalt not eat of it: for in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die.

Genesis 5:5 (AV)
5 And all the days that Adam lived were nine hundred and thirty years: and he died.

2 Peter 3:8 (AV)
8 But, beloved, be not ignorant of this one thing, that one day is with the Lord as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day.

Interpretation #1 God was referring to spiritual death

Interpretation #2 God makes exceptions

Interpretation #3 The LORD doesn't see or do (or count) things the way man does.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Topic Count:  905
  • Topics Per Day:  0.19
  • Content Count:  9,646
  • Content Per Day:  2.02
  • Days Won:  9

It appears that God has made an exception to the immobile decree:

Deuteronomy 23:3 (AV)
3 An Ammonite or Moabite shall not enter into the congregation of the LORD; even to their tenth generation shall they not enter into the congregation of the LORD for ever:

But God rather uses Law to drive us to Grace (Galatians 3:24-28) using what I call the Anne Sullivan method.

Anne Sullivan was the woman who broke through Helen Keller's physiological prison (she was born deaf and blind) forcing her to understand by repetition etc. Once Keller understood what language was and what it was for, then she could proceed to use the language break through to become an author, political activist, and lecturer.

God gave man the Law for similar reasons. When we learn the spirit of the Law rather than the letter of the Law (2 Corinthians 3:6)...

The Law is not the end but the means to Grace.

God gave mankind grace from sin #1.

Grace has a generally overlooked presence throughout human history and along side Mosaic Law.

The LORD Jesus often referred to this in such teachings "the Sabbath was made for man, not man for the Sabbath." And he pointed out the fact that David ate the shew bread... Jesus forgave the woman caught in adultery (John 8) which was during the Old Testament covenant (Hebrews 9:16-17)... etc.

King David is an example of this higher law of Grace more than just about anyone. His dogmatic faith in God being at the heart of it. He was a man after God's own heart. Yet he was an adulterer, murderer, liar, and  thief  (in the Bathsheba incident alone).  Not to slam the man. To point out the example we have about faith in the one true God and that his Grace far surpasses the Law that condemns us to eternal hell.

God is also the Lord of the Sabbath in that he transcends not only the Law (which he gave) but the laws of physics as well (proven by the fact that we exist). From nothing nothing comes... unless you are God.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  15
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  757
  • Content Per Day:  0.58
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  12/08/1978

Maybe foreshadowing the acceptance of the gentiles?

• Thumbs Up 1